SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Week 4, June 2017, General Garden Talk

Here we are, starting the last workweek of June, and we'll be welcoming July by the end of this week. Doesn't it seem like June is flying by?

I believe today is what I'd think of as our last cool day down here, by the forecast, because tomorrow we're back up near 90 degrees again and there's no way I can think of that as a cooler day.

I tried hard yesterday afternoon to finish processing all the tomatoes piled up in the breakfast room, so today could be all about working out in the garden. There were too many tomatoes and I just couldn't get all of them done, so I guess I will spend the morning working in the garden and the afternoon working in the kitchen. That's our typical summer pattern but it is wearing me out and I'm ready for something to change.

Today's plan involves pulling more onions---I think I'll be harvesting all of of what's left of Red River and Highlander (long daylength types) in the overflow onion bed today, and some of Copra (the final long daylength type). Then I can plant the fall tomatoes where the Red River and Highlanders were growing. After that, I'll harvest tomatoes and squash, especially Korean summer squash. I'm then hoping to deadhead half of the Laura Bush petunias (I did the other half last week) by cutting back the plants 50%, and I'll pull weeds from the veggie beds that aren't a solid mess of vegetation yet, which means beds that were succession cropped in May or early June after the original crop was harvested. I'd like to weed the flower border, but it is planted so thickly and densely that it scares me because I cannot see the ground and cannot know what lurks there, and it's the last place I saw a snake, so I'm probably not going to weed today. I probably will check on all the muskmelons (improperly called cantaloupes in the USA even though they are not true cantaloupes) and other melons and make sure they're climbing their trellises well, and maybe try to weed them a bit.

I need to cut the lawn because it was too wet to cut it yesterday, but those tomatoes need to be processed too, so I'll probably postpone the lawn-cutting and weed-eating until tomorrow so I can get the tomatoes done.

The weather and the upcoming Fourth of July holiday are making me antsy. At the other end of our county from where we live, there was a small but fiesty little grassfire yesterday. It seems crazy to have that happen a couple of days after good rain fell, and that end of the county got more rain than we did down here so it seems especially odd. I looked at our place, and the lawn part looks nicely greened up from the rain, but the pastures don't. I think everything in the pastures is too far gone towards setting seed to turn back and green up now. That means it probably is time to mow the pastures too. We like to wait until the early summer wildflowers have bloomed and set seeds, and they have, so I may go ahead and mow pastures tomorrow too. I don't consider mowing to be nearly as interesting as gardening, and hate it when it cuts into my gardening time.

A creature is lurking in our woods and trying to get a chicken. It may have gotten a chicken yesterday when we were gone, but if it did, I didn't find any feathers anywhere. Chris was working on his house, heard a ruckus, ran to his truck and grabbed a gun but couldn't find any sign of anything going on except for hysterical chickens. The chickens were nervous wrecks for the rest of the day, and the dogs were barking at the woodland all afternoon and evening, so I know they were picking up on the scent of some animal. I wish they could tell us what it was.

Have a great day everyone and tell us what's going on in your yard, garden, woolands, grasslands and fields this week!

Dawn

Comments (93)