SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsmth2

A look at time and changes

paulsmth2
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am in the twilight of my life now. I am just a couple of years shy of eighty. Wow... that is a lot of years but it is still only a speck on the world clock. I am very lucky to have someone with me who I like, admire and appreciate to share these years with. I love the contrast between male and female. The relationship just sparkles when there is harmony.

There have been a lot of changes as I passed into senior status. Simple tasks like lifting objects I am no longer able to physically handle. And of course there is the deterioration of the body itself to cope with. For example, due to a kidney situation I can no longer eat meat or tomatoes and a bunch of other items. We eat a lot less these days. Small simple meals. We do very little heavy cooking. We are both trying to lose some weight. I have lost a ton but I still am short about ten pounds before I put the breaks on and start eating a little more. Right now, I can have a small piece (two inches by four inches) of a fish filet and that is my dinner for the day. Of course, a couple of cocktails helps that matter.

We are downsizing. I have a table loaded with things that we are giving away. A mint condition food processor, two heavy cast iron fry pans (love those things), an ice cream maker ( used to make some great ice cream), a crockpot, a blender, two nice metal fry pans, a couple of very decorative cake pans (very xmas decorative designs), a prize pot from Mario ( Italian chef on food network...this thing weighs a ton). a bread maker and some other items. I am very fond of the bread maker. We used it to knead the dough and then pulled it out and formed and baked our loaves. To me, this was a highlight of any meal. I don't think that any bread you can buy at a bakery cam compare to one you make yourself.

Tonight we are taking a terrific bottle of wine up to the deck and having one of our simple dishes. We will put into a cardamon flavored vanilla bean yogurt some dark pitted cherries, sliced kiwi, sliced bananas, some mandrin orange segments, some Bartlet pears and some pineapple chunks. Should be tasty and I believe a bit on the diet side. We don't eat ice cream anymore. We found a brand of frozen yogurt we like and I make a delicious raspberry sauce with creme de cassis in it.

What changes have you encountered as you approach the senior status. Hopefully some good ones and not all bad.

Comments (14)