SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman

When things take (lots of) time & your taste changes

CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

What do you do!?

(One of my longer musings. Get some coffee.)

I've never had trouble tearing out and rebuilding/replacing/giving away something that didn't speak to me, or was no longer in my vision.

I'm confident I have if not theeeee longest renovation in history, I'm right up there. It'll be 10 years in December since a deciding fire goosed us into renovations. Doing it myself, teaching myself, collecting materials (giving away and selling the same) have had my home in a pretty steady, snail-paced, forward-towards-completion movement. I've had a lot of opportunity to change my mind.

Until the last year or so, every time I got to the point where I could install a fixture or a piece of furniture I'd picked up in the beginning, I was very relieved to find I still liked them. 'Cause when I actually do buy, it never seems to be inexpensive. I did give 3 overhead lights away. Too industrial. Until the last year or so...

I'm finding a totally different decorating style is talking to me. I was very clean, straight lines. Craftsman, Arts & Crafts, Asian-inspired cabinetry, with very little ornamentation or decoration.

Then, my skills increased to the point where I was looking at lumber I'd been collecting and storing and finding I loved its weathered look. My tastes ZINGED towards more rustic, weathered decor. I found I was loving a few (very, very few) of the "antiqued & distressed" pieces I was seeing online.

(Side note: some of these people need to step away from the paint brush. AND, scraping flat surfaces with sandpaper does not "distress" something. It looks badly scuffed. Emphasis on "badly." Just because you saw it on Pinterest, doesn't mean you have that talent. Try, but be realistic. Most likely no one is going to pay you $400 for a $10 dresser "lovingly painted and waxed" to look like someone ran over it with a vacuum cleaner.)

I did some painting of my own, and finally created a finish for my MBR 16' cabinet wall I absolutely love. Eat your heart out, Pinterest people. No one, no blogger, no pro, no one I have seen yet has figured out my easy and inexpensive techniques. I continue to remain unique. Yup. Unique.

I inherited some beautiful French, Japanese, and Queen Anne antiques from my mother, I'd loved since I was a kid. Oooooo. Curvy became very attractive. (Could it be my ever-growing curves?)

Now I want to change out any of the more modern fixtures I've put in. I want to paint (can't afford to replace) the espresso maple Shaker cabs in my Master bath. Way last century. I am also capable of adding detail to these doors, which would make them less stark, ok, "clean" and a little more fanciful.

I've given away, reconfigured, and/or given away my kitchen cabinets 30 times before discovering how my beloved beaded inset makes me oooOOooooooo. But instead of the painted cabinets I've always loved, I'm mesmerized by the ones I've stripped and weathered. (Can you believe what Golden Oak can become with some Citristrip? Oak is stupid-simple to update and/or change.)

So what do I do when you come to the actual substantial pieces I'd saved for and purchased that I just plain no longer like!? Keep them closed and covered with (clean) laundry in the someday-guest room?

What do you do? Suck it up and live with them? Sell 'em? Give them to your SIL again?

I find myself walking around the house uncertain what to do.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH