SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
privacy2me

New to the forum

Hello All,

I'm a newbie in a few ways - new to rose gardening and new to this forum. I'm a male, certainly not the type for roses.

When I bought the house many years ago, there was a wonderfully fragrant pinkish/redish rose bush. It was incredibly fragrant - the scent could be experienced about 15 feet away. Also, there were other roses, about 4 of them that died but a pesky little rose plant never gave up on life. This little rose plant was a fighter. Most years, it never produced a rose and was over run with blackspot.

I decided it was time to plant new things in the gardens around the pool. And so I did. This past January, my local Sam's Club had plenty of roses for sale. Initially bought 5 (assorted - Fragrant Cloud, Irish Masterpiece, Arizona, Kordes Perfecta and John F Kennedy) for the first purchase. I know how some of the fellow forum members feel towards body bag rose and Sam's Club but keep in mind, I was and still am a complete newbie at this. It was while I planted these first 5 roses that I realized how wonderful it was to place a living yet dormant plant in the ground with the hope and expectations it would flourish into a vibrant plant full of rose blossoms, just like in some of those magazines with pictures of the perfect gardens. I'd say the addiction was immediate and to be honest, I really can't explain it to others.

Well, I started thinking how other areas of the backyard could use some roses too. And I returned to Sam's for more. This time I bought Red Masterpiece for presence of a classic, fragrant red rose. They were planted quickly. Then I realized there were climbing roses. Well how convenient! Perfect to hide the fence. So I bought and planted 4 Climbing America and 1 Climbing Pinata rose plants. Then I really couldn't help but to buy more roses. Ended up buying 2 Intrigue, 4 Angel Face, Oklahoma and Electric Rose. I bought two additional roses very late knowing it would be a long shot for them to survive: Proud Land and Paradise. Coincidentally, Paradise was found at a Walmart with 5 healthy and very green canes with no signs of new growth and without any visible sign of disease. Electric and Proud Land are blackened and I assume dead. Paradise has been suffering cane die back and is down to 3 canes, and still no growth.

What I learned:

-not all rose plants are the same when it comes to strength and growth. My best roses are the ones I thought wouldn't make it. The Intrigues, JFK, Perfecta and Red Masterpiece roses have grown brilliantly. Constant flushes with new blooms, lots of new blooms. My pool contractor was brutal on one of the Red Masterpieces, removing 1/2 of the new growth from careless actions from one of the workers. Shockingly, the plant decided it would not tolerate it and had lots of new growth in a few short weeks. In under 4 weeks, there were a few canes at good height with plenty of blooms. I guess the lesson learned is if the new growth isn't to your satisfaction, let the rose plant know by ripping off the current new growth on half of the plant.

-some plants are very slow growers. Angel Face and Fragrant Cloud are the guilty ones. FC will likely be given a transplant into a pot over the winter to make room for a grower. It has struggled mightly with feeble attempts at growth. AF plants have little growth but I think this might be a characteristic of the rose species. Not so sure if they'll get the shovel treatment or not.

-some roses know how to show. Red Masterpiece have large velvety roses, 5" or more in diameter. Fragrant too. Definitely a show off type. The red blooms get attention. The Intrigue roses are the fastest growing in terms of bush diameter and the sheer number of blooms. One one plant there was more than 40 and on the other smaller one, about 15. And the scent is wonderful. JFK and Perfecta have wonderful form with dark green leaves and beautiful blooms.

-things affect roses. Some things are out of anyone's control like excessive rains. A couple of the climbing America roses suffered from the recent rains (they are in low spots). And then there's the bugs. Some roses get the attention from bugs, other's dont.

-some roses seem thankful for the afternoon shade. FC is in the sun for most of the day along with Red Masterpieces and AF. RM love it, the other two not so much. The other roses have afternoon shade and their growth appears to be stronger and healthier (RM excepted).

-black spots suck

-learned rose plants may revert to root stock. The old pinkish rose bush is one that died and it's root stock took over. I'm chopping it down.

-the little runt of a rose plant that survived all these years is a Raspberry Swirl. Heavenly beautiful and scentful and so far, got 5 blooms out of the plant that is barely taller than a foot. I added earthworm castings and later fertilizer. Plant has about doubled and it's canes are now getting to be thicker than pencil, plenty of new growth.

I think this is a long enough introduction, if you made it this far in reading. I have grander plans for the winter - thinking about lining one side of my driveway with roses between the palm trees. Thinking red roses like RM. But I'm open to suggestions as long as the blooms are large, plentiful and fragrant. Ideally, plant is resistant to black spot, bugs and other diseases.

Comments (32)