SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belquar_gw

New to this forum and new gardener.

belquar
18 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new here. Decided to try and do a vegetable garden for the first time. Dad had one once when I was a kid. Very prolific garden. My grandfather grows most of what he eats. They are down in Virginia though.

I will post pics of the progress soon. Have a rock back yard. All pea gravel. I started by moving that rock out. Lot of work. Got it moved over to the side and then tilled what was left over into the ground. Tilled deep about 8 inches or more. Oh...garden is about 600 sq. ft. Once tilled I spread about 20 lbs of pulverized lime. 240 lbs of dehydrated cow manure. 2 bales of peat moss. Then I took delivery of 12 tons of topsoil. Tried to get them to dump it in my bed, but the truck couldn't get in without getting stuck. So all 12 tons went on the driveway. Worked my butt off moving it. 3 hrs 15 min later I had it all in the bed. Letting the rain compact the soil now.

What do I have to plant: Corn, tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli, cantalope, watermelon, summer squash, zucchini, strawberries.

Yeah...I know...Biting off a lot. But hey, the worst that happens is it doesn't work and I learn a few things.

SO...let me have it. I am very open to suggestions and criticism. I am having fun with this.

Things I need to know:

Is my soil ready? Do I need to add more?

When should I transplant?

When should I start direct seeding things?

Fertilizer? Don't know anything about this.

Keep reading a lot about fish emulsions?

Any help laying it out would be good too. I know my tomatoes are not friendly to much and that my viney things will mostly do well next to the corn. I know...Lots of viney things.

Planning to grow cukes, zukes, and squash UP. How is it best to do this? Twine, wooden trellis, or just stakes?

Thanks

Brian

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm