SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan1980steve

Is it worth converting common bermuda to TifGrand

jan1980steve
6 years ago

Hi All,

I have been looking into the forums lately and thanks to Texas_Weed, david_tx, dchall_san_antonio and many othes who have put in a lot of effort educating others.

I live in Raleigh (Zone 7B)I have a common bermuda lawn. This was orignally a fescue lawn but fescue couldn't survive and some how common bermuda came and took over. Now over 95% of the lawn is common bermuda.

I am planning to level the lawn by adding sand either this year in late July or next year in May/June time. I have read other threads on leveling and I think I have whats needed to start the leveling project. I have a gas powered reel mower which can go upto 1/4 inch. Basically by next year I should be able to move at 1/2".

I am satisfied with the lawn as is but looking at other pictures of hybrid I am getting little tempted. I have access to Tifway and TifGrand but I like TifGrand.

I do not want to tear down common bermuda and install Tifway/Tifgrand sod because of the cost involved and I am not sure if I will ever be able to kill the common bermuda by applying one round of roundup. I would love to hear if there are ways to slowly convert common bermuda to TifGrand.

I have a lawn plugger and I can plug in TifGrand into common bermuda at 12" interval.

If I plug TifGrand and mow low at 1/2" would TifGrand eventually take over common bermuda? or would it look odd with two types of grass blades?

Is there any other way to convert the common bermuda to Tifgrand?

Thanks in advance,

Nirmal

Comments (11)