SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon0413

Advice needed for Bermuda lawn care

Brandon0413
10 years ago

I've been maintaining my first lawn ever for the last year. I have Tifway 419 and found the Bermuda Bible here last year.

I was doing well watering every week, putting down fertilizer every month, mowing short twice a week, pulling weeds etc. I was really happy with the way it shaped up, but at the same time I realized it was more work than I really want to do, especially dragging the sprinklers out every Saturday morning and moving them around every couple of hours. I have other hobbies I want to spend my free time doing.

This year, I have been mowing short twice a week and my lawn is really looking good. I haven't had to water yet this year as we've been getting some rain and lots of cloudy days. I have not even put any fertilizer down this year.

I can tell, though, that within the past few days my lawn needs water. I have finally been able to tell what TexasWeed describes as a blue tint to the grass when it needs water as well as foot prints staying behind. I can also tell it is getting thin in a few areas, which looks like it needs fertilizer, I think.

Anyway, I just want to know what to expect if I continue like I am without watering and without putting down fertilizer. Should I continue to mow like I am twice a week or should I let it grow a little taller and mow higher? What can I expect?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if it would really be worth it to me to put in the work to maintain the lawn. I don't mind it going dormant, etc. if it looks okay but I don't want it to die and let weeds take over. How bad can it get?

Thanks!

Comments (8)