SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nisa101

Decor ideas please

nisa101
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is my living room, a bare room with basic furniture. The ceiling is two storey, but slanted..Am looking to decorate the room, but have no idea where to start..any ideas for decorating it would be much appreciated.

Comments (43)

• Kim
    6 years ago

I might introduce some metallics with framed artwork and end tables. Potted plants would add a nice splash of living color. The sofa could use a couple of accent pillows, but I am having trouble seeing the color of your furnishings. Are the chairs and pattern in the rug a navy blue? What color is the sofa?

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

That is a lovely room with a fantastic foundation of furniture. If this were my room, I would start thinking about art for the wall (I would probably pick one big piece for over the mantel and then do big groupings on wither side of that- I would enjoy collecting the art over time- no rush- except for the piece over the mantel and even then a nice mirror is a great place holder), then I would think about window treatments and throw pillows (I love pretty fabrics and they help decide the color scheme for a room- you have a great base of neutral with the dark blue chairs and brown leather sofa- a bright color in small doses, repeated throughout the room will add nice punctuation). Are there any colors you would like to use as accents? Maybe there is a pattern that would complement the gorgeous rug you have, something small in scale? Also, I think you might need to add some occasional tables, light, glass tops with metal frame perhaps, because you probably need additional lighting.

There are people here who are incredibly talented at pulling together images and eliciting ideas from posters about what they really want.

Don't rush into anything and remember, you'll collect meaningful ceramics and art over time. What matters most is the beautiful foundation you have.

You have a wonderful space so far. It will evolve beautifully over time.

nisa101 thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Related Discussions

Bathroom Decor ideas... please!

Q

Comments (8)
    What don't you like about your vanity and mirror? How do YOU define bright and happy? If this were my space, I'd remove 'Splash' and get a bright fabric I loved and hang it at ceiling height as a shower curtain. Hung from ceiling to floor outside the tub, it would make a huge focal point that would distract from anything else I disliked in the room. (Keep the other rod for the actual shower curtain.) I agree with cpartist about the backsplash. It doesn't jive with the rest. I'd probably change the mirror to a round one similar to this and get my kids' artwork on the wall. Seriously one of the cheapest and most personal ways of adding colour and art to a home!
    ...See More

Need some living room decor ideas please

Q

Comments (52)
    OK. Here is Rev. 2. Still some measurement issues but mainly fireplace position. I think the TV over the fireplace is best because the angle and space to right of fireplace is not very large without overlapping Bay Area. I removed the soiled piece of the sectional to make everything fit nicely. (Convenient). I guessed on size. But these are fairly standard so I think I am close. I used Beverly’s idea for a console and art above it on wall to left of office doorway. I don’t know why the wall with the fireplace pops out but doesn’t go to office door. Might be worth building that out so the TV can be placed over fireplace nicely. But if not, we can design wall to have possibly a mantel that runs across and around end. Just depends on styling desired.
    ...See More

trying to get warm home decor ideas. please help!

Q

Comments (3)
    How much work are you looking to do? I would paint everything over. Possibly a warm white. Id add moldings to the wall either shiplap or regular moldings. A new material sectional you can probably keep your rug. I like it. I also like the coffee table possibly but I guess decide on that later on. I would also do new shades on the windows
    ...See More

Decoration Ideas please!

Q

Comments (21)
    This looks okay if you are young and don't have many personal items. As you age you will collect items that are more personal: framed photos, artwork from travels, your great-aunts favorite Navajo pottery. Estate sales are wonderful for picking up unique decorative items and artwork. Also, as already mentioned, books.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    6 years ago

Take a friend with really good taste with you to shop for:

1. A large vertical painting to go over the fireplace. Pier 1 has some wonderful large pieces at about $200.

2. Three pillows for sofa, in light colors. Make one of them a lamb skin pillow (if you like that look) and the other two can match each other or not. They can be different sizes. Colors from the art would be good.

3. Buy a light colored throw for the chair in same color as one of the pillows.

4. Buy a large tray for the cocktail ottoman in a light color, plus buy a pretty accessory or two to place on the tray.

5. Extra items to consider: 2 matching poufs, maybe again with lamb skin seats, for extra seating by ottoman across from sofa.

6. Consider a pair of Z Gallerie white woven branch art pieces (about $40 each) to place on wall to left of sofa, one stacked above the other.

I can't tell what colors are in your rug, but it's possible you might want to repeat those colors in the artwork and pillows.

Let me know how the shopping goes.

• User
    6 years ago

I'd find some art and add pillows pulling the lighter colors that work with that as well as the rug and paint. At least 20" in size. I'd probably only add three pillows to the sofa but I find that as much as I like the look of many, I can't actually live with them. I'd also add a pillow to each chair. I'd have those two match. I'd probably use a lumbar style but think you could also do a square. Just depends on how much of the chair you want to see. I'd add a large woven type tray to the ottoman for texture and you could add a variety of things to it. In mine I have two books with a potted plant on top and two clear votives with white candles. It also holds our two remotes. I'd get at least one end table for the right side (right if you're facing it) of the couch. You could add another end table to the other side if you want but I think I'd maybe want breathing room there. You could maybe add a floor lamp to that other side (closes to fp) but see you have a wall sconce so that might be overkill. I think a large potted snake plant would look nice there. Some type of plant. I'd make sure the end tables are at least the same height as the arm of the couch or a tad higher. I've heard some people here go on about the table can't be higher but time and time again I see it photos where it looks well done. If you did two end tables you could coordinate or match. I prefer coordinated. You could add woven roman shades to the windows for added texture. Depends on your light and privacy needs there. Will you have a tv in here? What's to the left side of the room? I'd stick that piece of (large) art over the fp. Very nice room to start with. :)

We could probably help more if you gave us more info. on what other colors you like. If you're looking to keep it pretty neutral, how much pattern do you like, etc. Do you have any inspiration photos? Any fabrics or art you already really like?

nisa101 thanked User
  • Kim
    6 years ago

West Elm has a lot of great pillows that would look lovely with your furniture.

• nisa101
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the amazing suggestions..the color of the chairs and pattern on the rug is teal..

Since I dont have a tv in the room, am planning to move the couch across the window, towards the larger wall and maybe buy a day bed for the window..

Am looking for accents with teal and silver/ gray from the rug..

Will look into all your suggestions and update my finds..really appreciate the help!

6 years ago

Here are some Schumacher ikats I thought might be worth playing with around with. Be careful not to be formulaic. You clearly have great taste. You will find things step by step. You don't want your house to look like it was staged. Laurel Bern is an interior designer with a fabulous blog. You may want to look at her posts- they are very informative- her taste is classic and fresh.

6 years ago

One last one- also from Schumacher.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i love your rug and your room, i would have never guessed teal. i would guess the couch is black?

Ok you know how everybody gives you expensive things as examples? i dont, so always click on them to check out. like all pillows should be <$25 for 18 x18. i am so going to schumakers, i do not think i have been there.

here are some ideas for your room

Sites-athome-Site · More Info

End & Side Tables You'll Love · More Info

Jenson Floor Lamp & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

Marcus Mercury Glass Tapered Column Table Lamp - #8W701 | LampsPlus.com · More Info

nisa101 thanked havingfun
  • Kim
    6 years ago

I like pillows with nice fabrics and textures (cotton, silk, embroidery) and down-filled is very comfortable and moldable. Target and the At Home store have great selections of pillows at affordable prices, but the West Elm website offers unique pieces (many on sale) and is fun to browse for items with wonderful fabrics, patterns and textures without having to sift through an overwhelmingly large inventory at Amazon or Overstock.

Even after buying an insert for this cover, you're looking at $25 per pillow. I do like the ikats and the peacock animal print recommendations above.

nisa101 thanked Kim
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

I agree that you have a nice start to the room but I think the arrangement could use a little tweaking. Moving the sofa away from the windows is a good idea. I would also center the rug on the fireplace, put the sofa opposite the windows as you mentioned, add your daybed and pull your chairs forward so they flank the fireplace but feel more a part of the conversation area. I think curtains will help soften your window and give it a more finished look. You could add a pretty silver tray to the top of your ottoman for setting a drink. Add a small decorative vase in a teal color to the tray to bring in the teal accent. Here's a pretty daybed from Houzz.

Eliza Bench Bed, Twin, Opal Gray · More Info

• Gooster
    6 years ago

It would be helpful to provide a photo of the left wall and the wall/entry behind the original photo. It's easier to give suggestions with a full picture and how it flows together. Is the rug a reflection of the direction you'd like to go in?

• havingfun
    6 years ago

you can save yourself some of the hunting by going through my ideabooks,i go everywhere. do not shop at overstock and wayfair for example, most of their pillows are polyester. believe it or not almost all amazon are 18 x18 and they are linen/cotton the fillers are inexpensive, great shipping rule and you would not believe how many you can get for <$5!

also, almost everything can be gotten through walmart online, target online, or amazon.com.

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    6 years ago

Great work, celerygirl. Thanks! Simple changes can brighten and enliven the space.

nisa101 thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

nice room cele

• Elaine Wilson
    6 years ago

You have a Ralph Lauren vibe going here. Tartans would be a good place to start. A romantic rustic....

nisa101 thanked Elaine Wilson
  • Elaine Wilson
    6 years ago

P.S. Don't purchase anything from Pier 1. Just sayen. Your better off at the flea market, thrift store or antique store.

nisa101 thanked Elaine Wilson
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

why elaine, i love them?

• Elaine Wilson
    6 years ago

I almost confused that with a statement. Why? Character Darling, character.

I'm sure we could all find something there that we like. When I was in my 20's I didn't go into the city without visiting a Pier 1 Import.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

ok elaine i am the brain burps lady. i am totally not getting what you are talking about?

• Elaine Wilson
    6 years ago

Why did you say "why elaine, i love them?'

• Elaine Wilson
    6 years ago

I'm liking 2 and 3. She needs something thin and tall flanking the television "above" the fireplace.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

elaine i said that because i love pier one. great prices great lamps, some rugs, pillows, furnishings more unique than cb and rh?

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Lots of people like it, some people don't. That's life. We can only assume Elaine doesn't .

• Elaine Wilson
    6 years ago

I do like it. For some things. Have not been there in forever.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i just like to know, cause i do lots of shopping there yaya, i need to know if i need to stop? i just do not understand any of this conversation. op call if you want me.

• Elaine Wilson
    6 years ago

NO! Don't stop shopping there LOL. I was just being myself about decor. Years ago I purchased a black directors chair form Pier 1. I loved it.

Your too cute.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

well it is going to take a lot more learning before we can play easily with each other elaine. hope we get there soon. twice now you have knocked me for a loop.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

nisa, i am sorry, i will go now, because this becoming even more confusing. call me if you need me.

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

I would think of something you love right now. It could be glass balls, or African accents, wrought iron, Oriental, rustic country. I would buy a nice expensive nick nack, like a beautiful vase, or an interesting ceramic Head for a big plant. just something that you absolutely love. This has always started my creative juices going.

nisa101 thanked Laurie (8A)
  • deegw
    6 years ago

K Selff, it is against Houzz rules to post links to items that you are selling.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Hicham stop spamming these boards. Rita, you're just rewarding him :-)

6 years ago

Oly, I'm sorry. I didn't realize he was a repeat offender. And I feel like an idiot. I'll remove my post.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I and others have flagged him for weeks/months now.. Usually Houzz pulls their membership or something, not sure why they haven't sanctioned him. I've written to them today to ask why he's allowed to continue spamming here.

• nisa101
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love love love all the suggestions! Thank you all for the amazing ideas and pictures, helped me a lot!

Was torn between the daybed and more chairs vs leather loveseat, and ended up going with a coordinating leather love seat, seemed like the safer bet..

Just begun my collection with a teal vase, onto the accent pillows and end tables next..

• havingfun
    6 years ago

nisa, does that mean you are not interested in what i showed you? it fills quickly and removing it will give more room.

• nisa101
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Havingfun, I found your suggestions very helpful and did browse through some of the ideabooks you suggested.. there are sooo many choices, I just need to figure out which one i like the most..

Thank you.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

no, i meant the example up above.

• nisa101
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love floral and abstract prints

• deegw
    6 years ago

nisa, sometimes it's helpful to focus on finding one thing that you really love. A pattern, a painting, etc. I like to decorate like I am putting together a puzzle. The thing that you really love is the first piece of the puzzle . Then you can concentrate and finding things that work with the first piece of the puzzle.

Some people get all the puzzle pieces first and then fit them together using mood boards or inspiration photos. My brain doesn't work that way but that may be more helpful to you.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i removed the earlier pillows will try floral

Pillows | Joss & Main · More Info

Amazon.com: Monkeysell Lotus Leaf Butterfly Flowers Pattern Cotton Linen Throw P · More Info

Velvet Cushion Cover | Dark green | Home | H&M US · More Info
    Natural Pearlized, Beige 12"x14" Cotton Linen Lumbar Pillow Cover · More Info

Rizzy Home Turquoise 18" x 18" Pillow Cover with Hidden Zipper · More Info

Gray Ruched Tufted 14" Round Decorative Pillow - #8W516 | Lamps Plus · More Info

Amazon.com: Luxbon Set of 4 Pcs Vintage Style Peacock Print Cushion Cover Durabl · More Info

A Glam Holiday Sale | Joss & Main · More Info

Velvet Emerald Green Pillows Cover, Velvet Pillow Cover, Green Shimmer, 12"x12" · More Info

Home | Living Room | Pillows | H&M US · More Info
    i say choose a set, then pick the teal that best suits.

• oopsie913
    6 years ago

I'm not seeing it to be a good proportion to place that shape of artwork above the fireplace. No offense, celery girl. It's too tall and narrow. Otherwise, such cool ideas. So much talent on this site.