SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_66996790

Need some living room decor ideas please

Lesl Bathe
3 years ago

We moved into our house early June and have been working away at trying to fix it up. We finished painting our living room added a light fixture but now it needs a little more TLC. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Comments (52)

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was thinking of doing that but then would the TV go above the fireplace? I think it feels like the TV is too high when it’s above the fireplace.
    Thanks for your suggestion.

• User
    3 years ago

The TV would be at the same height above the fireplace as it is now on that stand. Again - why are you ignoring the fireplace, completely?

• Related Discussions

I need some decorating ideas for my couch and chairs decorating idea

Q

Comments (1)
    Need pics
    ...See More

Need decor ideas for living room please!

Q

Comments (39)
    You have a nice space, lots of lights, i don’t blame you for not getting rid of those couches, i have the same ones (without the recliner) in my livingroom and they are so comfy, saddly i dont have any recommendations for you as im having the same dilemma as i don’t know how to decorate my living room, i also want a big rug but i want it big, cream color and fluffy but with 2 kids and a chihuahua i dont know if i want to deal with the mess, snacks all over the pretty rug, my pet pee...sigh
    ...See More

Please offer ideas on decorating my living room

Q

Comments (13)
    I have same issue with my living room - it has to have a pathway to sunroom and deck. I put sofa, two chairs, and coffee table on left. Then wide space and console on right. My console has tv but yours could be just a console table with lamp and art. If you put a rug under just sofa and chairs and left floor bear in front of console, it would visually re-enforce concept of seating area on left, pathway on right.
    ...See More

Buying new house, need ideas to decorate living rooms

Q

Comments (6)
    How wonderful to have someone on this forum that knows the house. What is the dining area like? We ended up switching the dining area for the living room area and that worked really well. At least for the folks who ended up buying our house. But we lived with it like the folks have it in the pictures, for years. It was so cramped. I am certain that shirlpp can guide you through this because she knows the house. I don't know the measurements or what it is like in the dining area but I put this 3D rendition together on a whim knowing that it may not work. But hey why not throw the idea out there? In this you will find a small corner sectional, a padded ottoman with storage, a TV media surround with storage, 2 small chairs for extra seating for guests.
    ...See More
  • Larhonda Lowery
    3 years ago

I would definitely flip and look to wall mount tv right above fireplace, not too high. I would rather have a tv a little high versus a fireplace that is ignored. That’s just me, like I said before I am not a pro.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your advice Larhonda :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don't think you need to have the tv above the fireplace, however the furniture placement does ignore the fact it's there.

I think your tv is too large to put over that fireplace. It's going to look out of proportion.

I'd prob rearrange the sofa so that it incorporates both ends, or move everything around. (see last photo and paragraph for that option)

In the interim, Do you have any artwork? large paints, or large framed canvas prints, anything? The walls needs some life and color/pattern. That's what's missing.

Also, some type of texture and print. all you have is solids except for the slight pattern in the rug and a few pillows. you need some contrasting color w/the pillows, maybe a throw.

I think you could do something more w/the media console

I just photoshopped a white one in here, along w/a window blind, some art, and a few accents. That alone added a little life

Here's the pic I used. See how they did their windows? (they're almost identical to yours)

Trim them out in some window casing (they've painted them dark here) and get some inset blinds.

With your room layout and fireplace/tv at opposite ends, I probably wouldn't have gone w/this sectional (only because it completely shuts off the fireplace.

Can you move the tv over here to this other wall and rearrange the sofa?

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The house layout is a little different. I have a sunken living room. The stairs lead to the dinning room/ kitchen.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

When you enter my house this is one of the first wall that you see.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Rooms/wall

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

if you kept the tv as is, but wanted to incorporate your fireplace too, you should arrange a sofa and chairs like this imagine your fireplace is at the end where the two square ottomans are. See how this arrangement gives you access to both features?

or try doing it like this around the fireplace if the tv looks ok over it.

But notice how the patterns and texture, along with the wall art across the room, all give life to the room. They have similar sofa/pillows like yours, but just the addition of this printed ottoman and some wood elements, like the mantle, the stool, the wood shelf over on the wall, the tray on the ottoman, the side tables) all lend some personality to the otherwise plain room

I love this idea for the one tv wall. Simple wall trim, painted white, to give this room some texture.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

this seems to be a tiny door way. is it? (less than 24" ?)

where does this lead to? does this room have another door? if it does, can this doorway go away?

do you like any of the pictures I posted?

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful ideas Beth! I love your inspiration photos. Especially the last one. The sectional is fairly new, so in need to keep it for now. I like you idea of having a sofa with two chairs.
    The doorway leads to a small office.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you have any suggestions for a rug & artwork?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i don't mind the rug you have, you just need to bring in some other patterns w/some pillows, or maybe a chair or throw. bring in some texture with blinds, maybe some baskets, or some wood ( like a side table, a plant stand, maybe some floating wood shelves, etc)

this is a step down living room. look at some of the things they did hear.

You have a beautiful window, but it's all but hidden. maybe do some blinds like they have here, or build in a bench inside your bay window and make it a feature (like shown here).

Everything here is neutral but they brought in a bit of texture with the rug, the diff pillows, the blinds (matching the blue in the pillows) and quite a bit of wood in the furniture. Sconces, table lamps and a collage of pics over the fireplace finish it off.

You fireplace is very understated. have you though about tiling that entire wall around it? or maybe frame it out in stone like the one is in this pic^

Let me show you this pic of a fireplace off in the corner. look at what they did to it to liven it up

It's a mid century style, but without the cabs and framing around the box, it would have just been a hole in the wall like yours. You could do a lot w/the fireplace over in the corner to make it a decorative part of the room.

I think with your plain walls, it might be a good idea to try some decorative trim work. Let me find some pics to post.

here's one example. see how they put up slats of trim work and painted it a soft blue green?

or this wall w/the decorative "picture frame' molding trim, and then painted a dark blue.

For the tv wall, maybe doing the wall w/the decorative trim would work. Or even an accent wall with a diff color.

For the wall to the left of the office, I'd get some sort of bookcase, or console, or maybe a game table, or something for that corner. on the wall there I'd also find something for the wall.

or what if you made that part of the room a little sitting or reading area?

You don't have to do all these colors, I'm just showing you how you would do a little conversation area. a few chairs, some pictures on the wall, some plants, ottoman.

or maybe you want a little work space area in the corner.

What about getting some inset blinds for the windows? they would add some texture. maybe some woven bamboo blinds ?

As for art work, it's very personal. have no idea what you like. I'd put something big and bold over the fireplace.

For me personally I like color. This is my room. as you can see the furniture is all solid and neutral, with a neutral white wall. The kitchen is black/white with charcoal grays, so I wanted the furniture to blend in w/it.

I refinished the vintage mcm console and have two pieces of art work from well known artists.

Do you have any type of art work like this or something similar?

maybe you like a collage of black and white type of pictures on a dark gray wall.

or a more colorful abstract collection

hope I haven't overloaded you!

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love your ideas Beth!!!!! All of them!!
    Can I please take you home so that you can help me??? Lol.
    I think my next steps will be to work on the fireplace and then add some decorative trim work on the wall with the tv.
    Thank you again Beth, you have given me some wonderful ideas and a lot to think about. I appreciate your help.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Great ideas from Beth. Let me add a couple thoughts. The sectional is the “elephant” in the room. It looks like one section has a missing cushion? Can you remove that section? Can you reconfigure the sectional? Also, I would install a simple white (wall color) barn door to close off that door to your “office”. It would drive me batty seeing that open to office clutter. It looks like a converted closet? Gotta hide that. If you can reconfigure sectional that would help a lot. How does it connect? From the bottom? Or sides with metal slide brackets? The rug is really nice but configuration of this room is a problem for sure. Can you post measurements of the room and I can play with some scale drawing layouts for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

A few barn door (but more sophisticated versions) for that office doorway.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Flo
    My son spilled juice on the sofa, so the cover is in the washer right now. Yes, the sofa can be reconfigured. It attaches with metal side brackets.
    I’m attaching a picture of the dimensiones of the room. The living room is sunken, there are two steps leading to the room. Here is a quick drawing of the layout.

• doods
    3 years ago

So why not put the TV on the other side of the door to the office, then your sofa could face both the fireplace and TV.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

OK, I can estimate the size of furniture. bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here is first cut. I estimated several wall lengths so measure where I have ? Marks. When you have dramatic angle such as your stairs you can angle the TV too. A console table next to TV might work with large art over it. That would draw the eye when entering the home.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Since you are able to reconfigure sofa, I suggest putting sectional on other wall so that it faces the fireplace. So main part of sectional would be on the wall with the other part on window side.

And mount tv over fireplace using this mount. Mount will lower tv for comfortable viewing. There is also a motorized option

https://www.dynamicmounting.com/product/down-and-out-manual-mount/

You can also put a plant on left side of fireplace.

• tgb1
    3 years ago

Love your chandelier!
    Is it from Pottery Barn?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

The TV could be mounted in the corner for easier viewing or directly above the FP. IMO placing the TV past the office door is just too far away for viewing. I would use the wall you face when you enter as a location for either an entry table or sideboard with art above.

Or the TV could be mounted in front of the window

There are tension pole mounts for TVs

Also a moveable easel as a TV stand

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I will revise drawing and get bay window right at that point. You will be at a pretty good distance from TV in almost any configuration. It is a personal choice. How wide is your TV left to right, not diagonal measurement.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Everyone, thank you for the taking the time to help me out with my design dilemma.
    Here are more measurements of the room.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fireplace

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fireplace/office

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tgb1- chandelier is from Wayfair

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Oh a pocket door! Yea! Better yet.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Making dinner. I will revise scale drawing later today. Thanks.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

The measurements are always helpful, but the bottom line is you have a sofa that really needs to face the fireplace for your room to look balanced. I love how @BeverlyFLADeziner offered a number of options for the tv, that are not usually offered here. As another option, you could also mount tv from the ceiling.

I agree with Beverly that in front of windows or over fireplace, or in that general vicinity is the best placement for the tv. A mobile stand could give you flexibility. From my perspective, using the mount I gave you above in my first comment, with tv mounted over fireplace is your best option.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

do you even use the fireplace? If you're going to make that a focal point, then I would advise you to rework the looks of it. right now it's just a hole in the wall!

It all depends on what you want this room to be. Or what style you want. or what the focal point is going to be. Just facing a sofa towards a plain black firebox isn't going to make a huge difference in the overall look of the room.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beth
    I would like to add stone around the fireplace, we just haven’t gotten there yet. I’m hoping to have it done in the next month or so. We recently painted the outside (Beverly helped me choose a color) and we painted the inside.
    We have SO much work to do still.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

like a stacked stone? you'll be doing the entire wall, yes?

the other option I like for you room is a type of Zellige tile

Only I'd do the entire wall,,,like this

if you like the stacked stone look, look into a linear basalt tile. or a black slate.

this ledger stone comes in at least 50 diff colors and types of the material

something like this looks good too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I don't know if you reworked the fireplace and did something like this, maybe the tv would fit ?

Ignore the builtin cabs on this one. just imagine your entire wall here. maybe you could redo it for a gas insert or something

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great ideas Beth, thank you!!

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Freedomplace1 and Beverly for your suggestions !

• Carolyn W
    3 years ago

I like the look of the TV over the fireplace. In my experience, make sure to mount it at the correct height for viewing or you’ll not be happy. Someone posted a retractable tv mount I’m going to buy to fix my current situation.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any ideas for the color scheme for the room??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

OK. Here is Rev. 2. Still some measurement issues but mainly fireplace position. I think the TV over the fireplace is best because the angle and space to right of fireplace is not very large without overlapping Bay Area. I removed the soiled piece of the sectional to make everything fit nicely. (Convenient). I guessed on size. But these are fairly standard so I think I am close. I used Beverly’s idea for a console and art above it on wall to left of office doorway. I don’t know why the wall with the fireplace pops out but doesn’t go to office door. Might be worth building that out so the TV can be placed over fireplace nicely. But if not, we can design wall to have possibly a mantel that runs across and around end. Just depends on styling desired.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I could see either of these approaches to the fireplace wall. I like the light walls and ceiling and I could see adding a modern carmel swivel leather and some warm wood mantel or wall treatment to fireplace wall.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

A more expensive but bigger swivel chair.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I like white, black, gray and recycled woods together too.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

You have so good help already, but I do want to get in on it, thanks. About office door: move entire door down, or place a nice screen to hide it a bit, but still allow entering, minimal.

Then sectional rotates so it faces window, and smaller side is feet from fp. ..wish I could draw it.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

If patterned screen at left of fp, simpler art above fp.

Bella View · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Is this what you mean everdebz? I think Beverly also did a sketch somewhat like this.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I like rev3 version because it provides a better view out the window. in addition it doesn't block the way into the room.

• Lesl Bathe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone for helping me with this project. I’m going to move my furniture around this evening (well my husband is) and I will update with pictures. I really like Flo’s revision #3 and I’m going to see if that works.
    I really like the idea of having a console table in the corner with a mirror or artwork like Beverly suggested and will definitely be adding that to the room.
    Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted!!

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

another idea for room style... i could see block print pillows in a bunch of different patterns and colors and then a solid color rug with a pattern and a fun swivel chair