SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neely_gw

What's For Dinner #351

neely
6 years ago

We usually cook this chicken in the oven but sometimes outside in our covered BBQ. I smother half a chicken with a good Tandoori paste, leave covered in the fridge for as much time as I've made available which could even be overnight if I am organised. .. then cook in desired method. Seen here served with raita made with cucumber, red onion and yoghurt. Very easy as I use paste from a jar but you could make your own. It is pretty spicey hot.

Comments (99)

• Jasdip
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Neely, there is a British documentary on food that we enjoy watching called Food Detective. A chef showed how to cook pork belly.....I think he crisped the fat in a cast iron skillet first to get it good and crispy. The whole thing was so moist and looked so good. But we saw it on the weekend for $12/lb. So that's not going to happen!

If your pasta had a whack of bacon, it would be a pasta carbonara. That's nice once in a while, a real treat.

Shambo, yes it's Ruthanna's recipe. Thanks for finding it for me!! I couldn't find it looking with the search button.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

We saw someone make Shrimp Etoufee on a cooking show on the weekend. I tried this recipe. The flavour was terrific, but the cooking method was backwards. I'll make it again, but noodle around with the instructions.

• Related Discussions

#351- Thinking SOUP!

Q

Comments (103)
    Good afternoon all... I did make it to town yesterday. It turned out to be much nicer than predicted. I did all that I went to do, and was home with the purchases unloaded when the rain arrived. It wasn't bad, but plenty windy, and accompanied with thunder and lightning. We were under a tornado watch all day and well into the night. One was sighted to the south of us, in our county, but there has been no report of damage. That cannot be said of the one that hit Gassville to the east of us. It was 40% destroyed, with one death...(a 91 year old woman), and lots of injuries. It is said that several others were killed in Arkansas, but I haven't heard where. No, Denise. I haven't read that book. The only reason I ended up working on the one that I mentioned is because I happened to notice it on the shelf, and decided to give it a stab! I have reached some more interesting chapters, but am still not past page # 143. Bling? I call what I have just plain old fashioned jewelry ! I do not think any of it is very valuable, although some of the older stuff may be. I mostly wear necklaces and pins/broaches. My wedding ring is just a plain gold band. Pm2, our winter isn't all that short, but we keep having false springs that trick things into growing.I never dare put my tender plants out until the last of April. Saucy, I hope you have someone that you feel comfortable talking to. That is a real help when one is having problems. I know a lot of 'us' are good listeners. I have enough experience with troubles that I can commiserate with those of others. I agree with you about 'sharing'. I really need to do that. I am sending good wishes, hugs, and prayers to/for you. Ei, the best way I have found to prevent making 'goofs' is to open the page twice, and go back and forth as I 'talk' to each person. even then I am capable of goofing! :-( I have a problem getting sleepy when reading too, unless it is a very engrossing read, but I never lay down, or recline while reading. I get to hurting even while setting in a comfortable chair. I can't possibly lay down and read! I have never read War and Peace. I may have it in my 'library'...but not sure. I have 2 or 3 of Michener's long books, and have read them. With the bone density test, you lay on a table and the scanner moves over you. You aren't enclosed like with an MRI, and you don't drink anything. Marie, your orchid is gorgeous! I neglected to keep a close enough eye on the plants in the bay window, and ended up with a terrible outbreak of scale! They were on the 2 primroses, the yellow moth orchid from Ei, an Angel Wing Begonia and a pot of crotons.! I am diligently removing them with cotton soaked with rubbing alcohol. I sure hope I win! I bought a new Primrose in town yesterday. It will stay well away from the affected plants. Marian
    ...See More

FireFox 3.5.1

Q

Comments (7)
    Looks like it's not really being supported. In Firefox, if you look at Tools > Add-on's > Ad-block Plus > Options > and then Filters > Add Filters Subscription, there's some info that refers to what I mean. But we'll have to wait and see if someone starts paying attention to it again, I suppose.
    ...See More

What's For Dinner - #317

Q

Comments (101)
    Seems as good a place as any to post a few Thank You's for the help and inspiration for my Christmas dinners: Ann - The tourtiere was a huge hit Christmas Eve. Being as I had a leftover pie, my parents suggested I serve it again Christmas Day! (I didn't.) Sharon (Chase) - Somehow I managed to save one of your jars of Chili Sauce for the tourtiere. Five adults, one pie, almost a pint of sauce gone. 'Nuff said? Everyone on Linda's (doucanoe) Prime Rib thread - For giving me the courage to try this for the first time on Christmas Day. I used Cook's Illustrated's low roast method and was extremely pleased with the consistent doneness throughout. CI's Yorkshire Pudding was fabulous also. Alexa - For posting Paula Deen's mushroom recipe. Another huge hit. My father asked to take home the leftovers. Such a compliment is unheard of from him. Also, for posting the jus and your other last minute details and words of encouragement. Ruthanna - The deviled bones were, um, fun? Definitely not for polite company. Please pass the dental floss! Definitely worth the mess. I have no pictures of any of this, but I couldn't have been more pleased with the Christmas meals I served and it seems like everyone agreed. Thanks everyone!!!
    ...See More

Sink size for 351/2" base cab?

Q

Comments (0)
    Just when you think you are at the easy part of a kitchen reno...I'm trying to find a ss apron front sink that won't require a complete overhaul of the cabinet beneath and found the Kholer vault line. Problem is, it (and the others I've found) seem designed for standard 30" or 36" base cabs. Measured mine, and I think it's 35 1/2" (34" inside cabinet). Is this a non-standard size? Can't imagine it would be as everything is builder grade, but you never know...I assume a sink designed for a 30" cab will be too small, and one designed for a 36" cab too large, so what to do? I've searched this forum and can't seem to find guidelines on sink size to cabinets. Am I overthinking this, yet again?:) Any advice greatly appreciated.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    6 years ago

Neely, could it be Pasta Aglio E Olio?

The Princess took a blue ribbon at the Fair with the jelly and a 2nd place with the pie, because she forgot to write down the crust recipe. Recipes are required for all entries, and hers was incomplete, only contained the filling instructions! She muttered something about next year....

jasdip, that shrimp looks really good.

Here? BBQ'd chicken, baked potatoes, fresh kale from the garden and honey wheat bread. The boys are still here, it's their last day, and I had to pick up one of the barn cats from the vet. He got into a fight with a bear and he lost. Lost his tail, as a matter of fact. So, for the time being, he's a house cat. Fortunately, he's litter trained but he looks pretty odd without a tail....

With all that going on, my Mother decided to visit, and so I didn't even think to take a picture of supper, but we did get a picture of poor Sparky.

Annie

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes that's the name Annie pasta Aglio e Olio. Lovely results at the Fair.

Jasdip $12 /lb does seem way expensive for belly pork. Such a shame as it was such a good cut of meat for many recipes. Mine was $14 per Kilo so at 2.2lbs to a kilo that means we would be paying the equivalent of $26.50 a kilo. Wow can that be right.? I know exchange rates come into play but still...

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Poor Sparky!!!! Poor wee thing. He might be getting spoiled as a housecat, and not want to be in the barn. I know cats are born without tails (bobcats) but to not have one for balancing and showing their love is sad. Not to mention getting in a tussle with a bear of all things! Thank heavens for nine lives.

Neely, crazy price. It's the only place where I've seen it for sale, I'll look at another grocery store that has an in-house butcher and see what it might be there. Our meat is packaged and sold by the kilo but advertised by the pound. Confusing, huh??? We made a change to metric in the 80's but food is still advertised by the pound. Gas and weather, and speed is to problem, but I can't get my head around the pricing of kg, so I do it by the pound.

• petalique
    6 years ago

Jasdip-- your entrees look yummy. RE the Thai basi, not hot. Like regular basil but with an anise flavor. The stems are a bit purple-ish colored and the flower beards or buds are also a pretty, dark purple. You can bow your own from seed (Burpee, Johnnyseeds,); you can purchase thaw started plants (widely available at Walmart and box stores and probably garden centers. Or, if you live in any, even modest, urban area where there are Asian or SE Asian markets, you can skip on down to the fridge section. You might want to look up a photo online to be sure you get the right herb. It is quite perishable, so double bvag it, no pressure or squashing it.

The reason the dish was spicy, is because I used a few Thai bird chilies -- small, thin, red or green, 2-3" long fresh chiles. I remove the seeds, but no self respect ion Thai or Vietnamese cook would do that. Wear gloves or use a cocktail fork and small knife to cut open the chili and remove the seeds. Or, if you enjoy hot chilies, leave the seeds. The flavor of the chilies is very much a part of the dish. A lot of Thai or Vietnamese dishes use a seasoning mix that is a combination of hot (and fragrant, salty (from fish sauce) and sweet (from palm or regular sugar) and often sour (from fresh lime juice or tamarind. Even if you want to pass on the chilies (for now, wink), you can make a refreshing salad dressing or marinade from (a) fresh lime juice, (b) fish sauce, and (c) palm sugar or regular sugar.

For the salad, the world is your oyster. Just tender green, shredded lettuce or cabbage, or/and add things like thinly sliced red onion or shallot, carrot or anything like the options below:

Fruit (berries, pineapple, mango ...

Shredded carrot, or jicama

Shrimp, cooked chicken pieces or steak or pork.

Red bell pepper, julienned

Rice noodles or cellophane noodles.

Blanched, diagonally sliced sugar snap peas

I am hungry now!

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Thanks Petalique! I'm going to look for Thai basil, and I love your stir-fry.

I made caponato. We just had it with leftovers (shrimp etouffee and chicken stir-fry) to make some room in the frig. No pics of the plate. The caponato grew so I have a lot of leftovers, and still no room in the frig.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Today was a crock-pot day. I made a new recipe; Jerk Chicken. It marinated in spices, and then popped in the slow-cooker for a few hours. We quite liked it, and it's a keeper.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Jas looks yum...how did you get that golden skin in the crock?

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Mamapinky, I stuck it in the oven for a few minutes.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

All looks good Jasdip

Leek and potato soup one night

Roast chicken with leeks another night. Tarragon in the stuffing this time. I thought it tasted quite French but then I think anything with tarragon tastes French. (I did live there for 6 months years ago)

And salmon with veg on fishfryday.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Yum, everything looks delicious. Neely, you remind me that I have leeks in the garden, ready to use.

A couple of days ago, I made chicken in jalfrezi sauce. I was pleasantly surprised, it was not as spicy as I had feared:

Yesterday it was 90F here. We had big salads with lettuce from the garden. It was green. (sigh) I'll never learn to like salads, but the leftover chicken was convenient to add some protein to the salad along with the chickpeas. This one was Elery's with blue cheese dressing and a good squirt of Sriracha...

Tonight we had cheddar brats, roasted slices of Yukon Gold and more salad.

Meanwhile, I've been cooking "ahead", as Elery's son and DIL are coming to visit from California with their boys. We haven't seen them in two years, and they've never seen the house we're living in now, so Elery's excited. I made some pasta and put it in the freezer to use while they are here:

Tonight I'm working on Ann T's cream cheese danish and some cinnamon rolls, it's nice to have things in the freezer and the refrigerator so I'm not spending all my time cooking and doing laundry.

Annie

• petalique
    6 years ago

All of these dishes are making me hungry -- and I just finished eating lunch.

Jasdip, yum on that salad and the jerk chicken.

Neely, I love leek & potato soup -- either served hot or cold. Last year, I grew leeks a d made a large batch/E's of soup. I even froze some and it was delicious in February.

dcarch -- yummy. Your plating is always outstanding. I think I'd like you to offer a few tips or a workshop.

annie1992 -- all of your dishes look great. Salads with interesting fresh ingredients are tops. I wish I could eat brats. I am supposed to stay clear of things like sausages. Darn it. I love so many of the sausage family -- but I am advised to avoid saturated fats. I only eat a bit of leanish meats.

Last night I made Thai Beef Salad with Cellophane Noodles. I used fresh mint, peppers, Thai anise basil and lettuce from the garden. I don't make this very often, so I'm glad it came out well. It is addictive. DH gave it a 10.

(Fresh Thai basil, mint, cilantro, shallot, bird chili, mild Italian green pepper, cellophane noodles, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, a bit of lean London broil, fresh leaf lettuce.)

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Back again. Annie your salads look great. Elery's with the sriracha looks even better. Also we love sausages with salad. Petalique that is a delicious looking Asian beef salad.

I made a soup with the left over chicken and added little stars pasta...pastina

Pork curry. I see the flowers are having a look at what's for dinner.

Fish and chips with pickled sweet/sour cucumbers chopped up in the tartare sauce.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Yum, Petalique!

Annie, Elery sure likes Sriracha! I like a bit of it but him, yikes! :-) The chicken is a good idea on the salad, and your sausage and Yukons are what I'd like.

We went on a day trip yesterday. Packed a lunch and sat in the courthouse park.

We drove along the beach, beautiful sparkling blue water, not a soul in the water

We had fish and chips for dinner, no pic, unlike Neely :-)

Today we ate healthy, no meat.

Tabbouleh, sauteed greens and corn on the cob that we bought from a roadside stand yesterday.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

What, no one is eating?

Petalique, that beef looks perfect, I just love rare beef.

Neely, chicken and stars was a favorite of my girls, I haven't thought of that in years. I ought to make some for the grandkids...

Jasdip, there was no one in the water? What's the water temperature there? (grin) This time of year it's easy to eat a meatless meal, isn't it? The produce is just so good.

Here we had a "farm to table" kind of meal. Chicken burgers with beets, greens and stuffed zucchini. We grew the chicken, the tomatoes and lettuce on the sandwiches, the beets and their greens, the zucchini, and the tomatoes and corn that went into the stuffing! My favorite part was the fresh beets, though, I just love beets.

I canned beets today, as you can see, I had plenty, both the golden beets and the Detroit Dark Red, although the reds are my favorite. The goldens seem kind of like beets for people who don't really like beets...

Yes, that's my old Ball canning book at the top left of the table. Cover says it cost 35 cents, LOL. I just moved all my canning stuff to the end of the table long enough to have supper, then went back to canning.

Annie

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No meat Jasdip... it looks yummy. I could quite happily go without meat for a day or two... but DH nope.

Annie your chicken burger looks both delicious and healthy. So good that you grow so much of your own food. That beets photo looks lovely . So sunny and fresh. Dear CanaryBird would have liked it.

I haven't been taking many photos of our dinners, I blame the weather.

Anyway here is a chicken schnitzel meal we had one evening.

And a large Sat breakfast showing our blood oranges. Not fully red inside but still quite sweet.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Annie, I like your chicken burger too!!! I made chicken burgers once from a recipe sent to my email from chicken dot ca. Chicken breasts ground in a food processor with apple, and I'm sure something else but I can't remember. It's excellent, and I've made them twice since.

Your kitchen must be heaven-on-a-plate for you to do your canning in. Room to really spread out compared to your old one.

Neely what is your breakfast? I see sauteed mushrooms and tomatoes. I tried a blood orange once and I didn't like it. Am I an oddball?

• User
    6 years ago

Annie, your beets look awesome! I love red and gold. Often have to hunt for the bunch with the best greens.

Neely, what is that on your breakfast plate? Btw, I did try the Tandoori paste (mixed with yogurt) on chicken thighs. I should have just used the paste. There wasn't much heat.

• Compumom
    6 years ago

Nope, not too much fancy cooking happening here either. We've been experiencing hotter than normal temperatures (like the rest of you) and between that and my limited diet, I'm just uninspired. We did have a lovely anniversary dinner a favorite seafood restaurant overlooking the ocean. DH had fried oysters served in the shell, with some type of an accompanying sauce, garnished with edible flowers on a bed of seaweed. He raved about them. Then he attacked his 1.5 lb lobster, accompanied by green beans and roasted potatoes. Dessert was a warm chocolate pudding topped with vanilla ice cream and accompanied by a tiny glass of caramelized popcorn. My dinner was delicious fresh grilled halibut on a bed of grilled asparagus.

When we were in Spain last month, I tried a fish that Sharon/Canarybird always spoke about called, Hake. It's a deep sea bass and it's absolutely delicious! I wish we could find it here, but I think it's specific to the Mediterranean.

On Weds night I was playing Mahjong, but left DH his favorite childhood meal-- meatloaf topped with his mother's "secret sauce"-- Heinz Chili Sauce mixed with French's mustard, chili powder and brown sugar. He has to have that served over flat noodles so that he can cover the noodles in the same sauce. It's SO NOT my thing, but happy that I can make it for him. Last night he finished up the leftovers and I had some leftover chicken. Monday night we had lamb chops and I tried a roasted Brussels sprouts recipe for DH. The sauce was a combo of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and grainy Dijon mustard. Clean and halve the sprouts, toss them in the sauce, skewer them and bbq for ten minutes. Clearly the timing is off on the recipe, so I microwaved them for 4 minutes to soften them up. Then I grilled them for about 5 minutes. Top them with grated parmesan cheese and serve. DH liked the sauce and the taste very much, but he said they still could have been a bit more tender. I'm not sure that I'd bbq them again. I think I'd use the same sauce and topping, but roast them in the oven.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes CindyMac we eventually switched to using just the pure Tandoori paste for that real spicey hit.

The breakfast was a fry up (tablespoon of olive oil) of tomatoes, mushrooms, speck and one cut up left over sausage. Also sprinkled with chilli. We are loving lots of chilli lately.

Speaking of chilli... last nights dinner was my favourite take out of beef Rendang again... talk about hot it would blow your socks off as my old Dad used to say.

Compumom lovely to see you and your husband enjoying your seafood anniversary dinner. I can sometimes find frozen Hake in the Spanish shops in the city (Melbourne) not as good as fresh but still with some of that flavour.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    6 years ago

Compumom
    “---We did have a lovely anniversary dinner a favorite seafood restaurant overlooking the ocean. DH had fried oysters served in the shell, --

Warning! Oysters can have physiological consequences, if consumed by a man. :-)

petalique,
    thank you for your kind comment. The desire to pay attention to appearance is
    in everyone, and the response to looks is also in everyone. That’s why you
    spend time in what you wear when you go out, and you spend a lot of time picking
    furniture for your house. I would be happy to exchange/share ideas.

Plating food properly is enjoyed by all, and the best part is that it is free. You just need to keep doing it. The more you do it, the more it becomes second nature.

Still more squashes to cook:. Steak & squash. Question was asked by someone, how to make squash spaghetti without getting mushy; tip; dehydrate the spaghetti a little before cooking.

dcarch

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Well, It's sad that I have to follow DC's posting. He's a master, and my steak certainly pales against is. But I'll forge ahead anyway!

Rib steaks are on sale this week for $7/lb. Steak is very much a treat and since this is the long weekend in Ontario, and parts of Canada, we treated ourselves.

Twice-baked potatoes, I added lots of sour cream and kefir cheese, butter and shredded cheese to the potatoes and mashed them smooth. I just bought a new bag of potatoes and after baking, they were very grey inside. The bag promptly went back to the store.

Steamed and sauteed green beans with sliced onions, garlic and red pepper flakes.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Me again. I love keeping meatballs in the freezer. Make up about 5 lbs worth of beef and pork, and they're handy for a quick meal.

This is a slow-cooker meal, using equal parts honey, apricot jam and Frank's hot sauce. A bit of soy sauce and cornstarch, cooked for a couple or so hours and dinner's ready!

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yum Jasdip 2 delicious looking dinners there. Dcarch wonderful plating and yummy looking food.

Spaghetti Bol the old standby when "what will we have for dinner" is mentioned....well in our home...probably a throw back to long ago Uni years.

The late afternoon winter sun came shining in on our roast lamb and roasties. "

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Neely, how cold does it get in your winters?

Spagh Bol usually takes hours to cook. I keep saying I'm going to make it, but never do. Do you keep sauce in the freezer for quick weekday meals?

Your lamb always looks tender and perfectly done.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Jasdip, with the spaghetti Yes usually have some in the freezer. When I cook it I simmer for about 2 hours... until it gets that lovely separation of oil.

As a comparison, I'd say our climate is a little cooler than LA.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

I tried a new pork tenderloin recipe, and it's a keeper. Instead of barbecuing it I cooked it in the oven at 400°. It's marinated in barbecue sauce, raspberry jam, sriracha sauce and worcestershire sauce and minced garlic.

Sauteed cauliflower, baked potato and sliced garden tomatoes given to us by our landlords.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love all the vegetables with your pork Jasdip.

A couple of dinners we have had lately.

Good old Green curry chicken with bok choy and onions, over rice & cooked by hubby.

Breaded chicken tenderloins with spices on stir fry vegetables

Flourless orange cake. After I started making this, I discovered I didn't have enough almond meal ( only approx 150 grams instead of 250 grams) but went ahead anyway. It was moist inside and had a kind of merengue like outer crust. I probably could never reproduce it.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have been eating dinner but unfortunately no photos to show.

I did have a rush to the head of avocado pancakes for breakfast so thought I'd post those to push this thread along. Hope everyone is enjoying good dinners ( and breakfasts).

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Jasdip, that's interesting, I've had avocado toast, but never thought of avocado pancakes, I'll have to think about that for a while! And I love that plate!

We did have breakfast this morning, The Princess spent the night with me last night and wanted cinnamon roll pancakes, something she found on pinterest. The post had the frosting drizzled very artistically over the pancakes, but The Princess wanted more frosting, so she just dumped on a couple of spoonfuls, LOL.

My tomatoes are just starting to ripen, so there were tomato sandwiches on some fresh Pane Bianco. These tomatoes are Great White, Solar Flare and Vernissage:

Before that we had Sol's Tomato Tart, I had forgotten how good it is:

I high heat roasted a nice top round, and sliced it thinly for sandwiches, I thought a pita would be nice. Actually, though, it was a PITA because it never opened into a pocket, causing me to mutter about why I didn't just make my own, geez, and I just folded the darned thing in half, added some honey mustard sauce and freshly sliced Napa cabbage from the garden...

I did bake some beer bread, and Elery had some with Muenster cheese and some kind of hash he made from everything in the refrigerator, LOL.

I baked a chicken one day, served it with a smashed potato and pink half runner beans from the garden:

Other days we had chili dogs (no pictures), pork chops and macaroni and cheese (no pictures because ALL the grandkids were here keeping me busy, sorry!), and tonight we had chicken salad sandwiches with cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden because I've been canning beans all day. On the last of those (insert expletive here) pita so-not-a-pocket(s). Ugh. And they didn't even really taste like anything except white bread either.

And that's all I remember, so I guess I'm caught up, the garden is keeping me busy, putting stuff in jars...

Annie

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

This is a recent lunch I made - I took pictures cuz the farmer;s market Brussels sprouts were humungous!

Sprouts, shallots, wild-caught salmon pan fried:

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Artemis, now THOSE are brussels sprouts, wow. Since I like them and salmon, I'd enjoy your meal a lot.

Here I'm canning salsa, so I had breakfast for dinner. Pancakes that were leftover from some breakfast or another, thawed and served with my homecanned blueberry syrup. Very yummy, and I try to convince myself that the blueberries count as a fruit serving...

Annie

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Wow, great meals!!!!

Annie, we've been given tomatoes regularly from our landlord's garden, they're so flavourful this year. Oh, that's Neely with the avocado pancakes and pretty plate, not me. I don't have anything pretty and feminine as that. LOL

I love, love brussels sprouts, I've seen some monsters as well, they pretty much have to be cut in thirds, not just half. Our favourite chef, Nick Stellino sliced his yesterday and they looked great.

I just took the lemon pie out of the oven, and the beer bread is cooling.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Right .... so much food I would like to eat. That pile of blue berries on pancakes looks amazing Annie. Your lemon pie looks great Jasdip as does your salmon dinner artemis.

A beef curry made by DH was our dinner last night. Cheated...Bought and oven heated Naan. Microwaved poppadoms... 3 at a time for 60 seconds, perhaps not as good as fried but healthier without the extra ghee.

I've been making the ubiquitous carrot cakes.

Tried making a chocolate pavlova with ganache drops. Tasted OK and I learned a lot about ganache. Namely how thick it goes when cooled and that it takes quite a lot of cream.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Carrot cake and chocolate pavlova and ganache, Neely, you're eating well. I love ganache on nearly anything, how can chocolate and cream be bad? And Jasdip's lemon pie? Yum, I love lemon in nearly anything.

Here I've been mostly canning, but we've eaten meals too. We had pork chops with tomato and cucumber salad and baked potatoes, all from the farm:

I baked bread:

Canned lots and lots of beans while Elery shelled, and then finished a batch of Carol/Readinglady's Southwestern Corn:

I had a helper to assist me in picking raspberries this morning. I've been putting them in the freezer as I pick them, until I get enough to bake a raspberry pie for my Mother, it's her favorite. Somehow, these never made it into the freezer:

When we went to wash up, we found someone was already using the sink...

Good thing we have a second bathroom. I always complained that I had to share the bathroom with my two daughters, now I have to share it with EVERYONE! (grin)

Annie

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love the size of those raspberries... dear little blondie there. I am trying to grow raspberries but I think our climate is a bit too hot for them... mind you there are raspberry farms nearby.

We also had pork chops with vegetables and apple sauce.

We went out for dinner one night and I'm sorry but I took this photo after I'd started eating. It was twice cooked goats cheese soufflé.... absolutely delicious. I am going to try to cook this. I've looked up recipes and will give it a go as soon as I can. Also had gnocchi with lamb which was also yum... so I hope to get busy trying new recipes.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Neely, those raspberries are the first I've ever gotten from my 3 year old canes, the deer kept them eaten right down to the ground. I fenced them this spring and we have raspberries pretty constantly, just a few every couple of days, maybe a cup full. So I freeze them, pick more, freeze them. Eventually I get enough to make something, but sometimes the kids just eat them. We also have berry farms around here, but raspberries don't seem to be very popular, they are too fragile and need to be hand picked.

Here it's getting cooler and I'm still canning, now I'm starting with tomatoes. So I put some beef stew in the oven, eaten with some homemade bread. I was tired and my kitchen was a mess, so no pictures, sorry.

Annie

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

People here seem to be liking raspberries more than they used to... more in the shops and lower prices... I guess growers are increasing the amount they grow. Anyway interesting.

I so love the amount of canning and growing of everything, you do Annie, inspirational. I grow small amounts of fruit & veg, make jams, chutney, pickles and some cheese and have a sense of satisfaction... yours must be huge and good on you.

We had lamb and salad last night, not that it's salad weather, but just needed the freshness. It looks more dull than usual because I made a balsamic vinegar dressing.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Neely, I've always loved to farm and my garden shows it, it's always far too big. I just can't help myself, LOL, and right now I'm dealing with tomatoes:

Suppers lately have included pork loin with a gratin made of eggplant, zucchini and white tomatoes, and a side of green beans cooked with a smoked pork hock, all from the garden:

We had beef stew over the weekend, and I forgot to take pictures, and I didn't get pictures of yesterday's pork shoulder either. Tonight I made pork fried rice, and nearly forgot to take a picture of that. We were done eating and I was putting away the leftovers when I remembered to take a picture. (grin) The rice had corn, leeks and sweet peppers from the garden along with that leftover pork and some frozen green peas:

With a good drizzle of this nice sweet soy sauce, which Sherry/Sheshebop introduced me to during one of our Cooking Forum get-together lunches:

Plus, we were out of bread, so I baked a couple loaves of caraway rye:

I didn't post last week, but I made AnnT's stacked enchiladas with green tomatillo sauce, I love those:

Another day Elery used up the last of the refrigerated bread dough and made something like pizza with sliced tomatoes and lots of vegetables, just a little bit of cheese. As usual, I forgot to take a picture until we started eating, overlook the bite marks, LOL.

With nearly every meal, we've been having fresh tomatoes, these were Mortgage Lifter and Pineapple:

And now I think I'm caught up, good thing, I need to go take the spaghetti sauce out of the pressure canner!

Annie

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Can't wait until tomato season is here.

All meals look yum Annie. Seems we are the only two eating dinner at the moment.

We had another beef curry made from scratch by DH. Now you may think we eat a lot of curry and you would be right. I guess we just like the spices.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dinner last night. A sort of Chinese Sticky chicken ( I do get influenced by this forum quite a lot) bone in and no skin, with vegetables and noodles. Chicken was marinated in a mixture of Hoi sin sauce, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine and chilli sauce. I would have liked to use some Ketchup manis but didn't have any nor did our local supermarket.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Neely, Elery likes curry a lot. I'll eat it, but he likes HOT curry. I don't, LOL, so we have a difference of opinion regarding supper there!

No pictures, last night we took my Mother out to eat for her 82nd birthday. Where did she want to go? To the "all you can eat" Friday night Fish Fry at the local Eagles Lodge. (grin) So we had fried cod, baked potatoes, cole slaw and those really cheap dinner rolls that seem to be served everywhere around here. She was happy in spite of the fact that the 2nd Friday was supposed to be "Frog Leg Friday" and she loves frog legs. However, they were not on the menu as they are not a popular item, apparently, and they are discontinuing the serving of them. So she had cod, and was still happy.

I baked raspberry tarts for her birthday treat, using puff pastry dough and fresh raspberries from my patch behind the house. Isn't this a cute little berry colandar that Nancy/wizardnm gave me as a gift a couple of summers ago?

Tonight, in my quest to use up garden produce, I made penne with eggplant and ricotta. I used whole wheat pasta and low fat ricotta and fresh basil from the herb garden, hoping to make it not too unhealthy. Brussels sprouts on the side, and yes, I know I should move things like my Diet Coke Can and the butter dish, but I never do. Hey, that's my real life! (grin)

Other than that, I spent the day preparing corn for the freezer, canning spaghetti sauce and cleaning and dehydrating leeks. The leeks did really well this year, the biggest ones I've ever grown:

I think that one could have made a pot of potato leek soup all by itself!

Annie

• party_music50
    6 years ago

wow, I haven't checked this thread in a long time.... everything looks so good!!! YUM!!! I'm going to have to study it....

We're in a cold spell and my *Polish* always comes out in a cold spell in September. Tonight will be kielbasa & sauerkraut! :)

• User
    6 years ago

PartyMusic, one of my favorite fall dishes.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

PM, that looks like a perfect fall dinner, and reminds me that I need to make more sauerkraut.

Tonight Elery cooked dinner, he made cabbage rolls, but he uses collard leaves in place of the cabbage. They are more tender, not as tough, easier to roll and no trying to peel cabbage leaves off a head. We had homemade rye bread with them, I made that a couple of days ago.

Last night we had leek, sweet pepper and mushroom stromboli, gotta use up some of those leeks.

We had some nice fresh slices of tomato on the side, this was "Pineapple", both sweet and pretty:

Before that we had a bottom round roast that I forgot to takes pictures of until after we'd eaten, so these are leftovers, LOL:

This was roasted zucchini, fried tomatillo slices and pastrami smoked salmon from Trader Joe's, with a bit of Dubliner cheese:

Other than the granola I made tonight, that's pretty much what's for dinner!

Annie

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

We've got summer temperatures again, and they're not going to end anytime soon. They're in the mid 20'sC but feeling like the 30's. I hate having to put the a/c on in mid-Sept.

Annie your eggplant and pasta is another dish I want to try. And those are some nice-looking leeks! I enjoy leeks, braised and with a dish that I make using leeks and asparagus. How weird is that, since they aren't mature at the same time. (spring and fall).

Neely your Chinese chicken looks much healthier than a lot of restaurant meals. I like asking for the sauce on the side as I don't like my chicken drowning in the red sauce.

Party Music, I love, love sausages and kraut. Kelbasa is very popular, but to me, it's just an over-sized wiener. We only eat one kind of sausage, a Grillwurst.

We love watching Nick Stellino and his pasta with zucchini a few weeks ago caught out attention. I asked for a zucchini on Freecycle, but no responses. Huh? So I bought 2 little guys specifically for the recipe. I served it with chicken piccata.

I found an ATK recipe for no-knead brioche and I've made it twice now. It's excellent, but we don't find it makes great toast. But bread, and French toast, it can't be beat.

• neely
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great to see your zucchini pasta dish Jasdip, likewise your brioche loaf looks good.

So many good looking meals from Annie... do you know it's the plate of fried zucchini, with tomatillos, salmon and cheese that I could sit down and eat right now.

And partymusic love that 'Polish' meal.

We've been away and not cooking much. This was a schnitzel, chips and salad we had before leaving.

I also made some chilli scones for a luncheon, which we had with a home made goats cheese

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Jasdip, that's a lovely loaf of bread.

Neely, chili scones? That would be right up Elery's alley, thanks for the idea!

Boy, do I need to catch up....

Elery is a good southern boy and loves his beans. One day while I was at the shop doing Dave's books, Elery made beans and cornbread. For some reason he thought it would be a good idea to add gnocchi to the beans. It was fine, but seemed like a lot of starch to me:

He insists that cornbread should be made with white cornmeal and so I bought some just for him. He made cornbread, but it came out a little "flat". It still tasted good, and we had it with the beans and some sliced fresh tomatoes from the garden:

We're at the end of the garden, but I managed to find a couple of ears of corn that the raccoons haven't pilfered yet, and we had them along with some fried potatoes, also from the garden and turkey breast with a side of home canned cranberry sauce.

The next day we had leftover turkey. I wanted to make pot pie but Elery wanted Kentucky Hot Browns, so I made him that, as well as some zucchini, fresh tomatoes and leeks, all roasted together in the oven on a sheet pan. The Hot Brown is a slice of toasted bread, layered with sliced turkey then covered with a cheese sauce and topped with slices of tomato and broiled, then topped with bacon. Yeah, kind of a hot turkey sandwich crossed with a BLT and covered in cheese instead of gravy. LOL I passed, I'm not much of a cheese fan, and just had a turkey sandwich and some of the vegetables.

Still trying to use produce, I made an eggplant shakshuka over some polenta made with that white cornmeal, topped with a soft egg served with golden beets on the side. I am so going to miss the garden!

Last night Mother was here, so I roasted an eye of round very rare and made Sol's Tomato Tart, as well as broccoli and cheese and banana bread.

Tonight's supper was pork chops with tomato dumplings and the rest of the roasted zucchini mixture. It's 90F here today, unseasonably warm, so I spent time in the air conditioning cooking, instead of going outside.

So you see, I've been cooking and eating and taking pictures, but I've been very remiss about posting them!

Annie

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Omg Annie, I've been reading the CF forever although cooking is my least enjoyed chore, but your meals make me almost enjoy cooking. Delish.