SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

What's For Dinner - #317

User
13 years ago

Annie, great looking dinner. As always your family looks like they are having a wonderful time.

Meals this week have been a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings. A steak dinner with our neighbours, pssta, and last night we had chicken wings.

One morning this week I made Toasted Walnut Scones and served them with maple butter. I adapted my scone recipe, adding toasted walnuts, subbing half brown sugar for half the white and using a 1/4 cup of maple syrup as part of the liquid.

Comments (101)

• shaun
    13 years ago

It's a rainy chilly day in Florida so I thought I'd make a pot of soup.

Paula Deen's recipe, Ya'll.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I've been wanting a pot pie, but not typical. Not since the sweet potato crust came up (WFD #316?). So I made a whole wheat and rosemary crust with a turkey pot pie. And it has red peppers with mushrooms and carrots. Not typical and yet, typical... with mashed potatoes (yea Annie!). Those are supposed to be holly leaves and berries. I am so NOT an artist.

:)

• Related Discussions

Idyll #317 The Wellness Idyll

Q

Comments (101)
    I started a nice long post last night but had DS home and wanting to chat , and phone call from BILs in Portland and by the time all that was over with it was time to go to sleep or pay the price today with the dreaded office grogginess So many things I want to comment on , so I will do my best, and will no doubt miss a few here and there. First I must say weve had some really enjoyable photos posted the last couple of days. Even poor Kenzie in time-out reminded me of the fleeting nature of having very small children..I felt a little wistful-for about 10 seconds ,lol ! She is a cute little thing though ! Thank you so much Michelle for posting the wonderful shots of your 06 garden. How proud you must be of itits just beautiful ! I cant imagine what I would do with that much space..A wonderful assortment of plants, thoughtfully placed, lovely vignettes , etc etc. Cynthia..yippee to vacation! Ill be in that mode in just a couple of weeks. I have already maxed out my dental insurance for the year. I fear that surgery (for the second time) is in my future again. Think Im looking at perhaps 1 implant. Hope you will post a picture of your spiral aloe sometime- I love aloes and agaves. I bought a boatload of new succulents this spring. Cindy, I need to post a pic of an area in my back garden that is so similar to your Chloe pic you posted. My lawn (whats left of it) is also a path, with various pets lounging about on it-usually that cats (I refer to it as "the savannah" ) and 10 minute mowing is it for me too. I hope to visit Heirloom Roses while in Portland-went last year but it was pouring the whole time-always a risk in the PNW, so I hope for dry weather this year. Last fall I visited Cistus on Sauvie Island-that was fun . Saucy, sorry for the troubles with the younger set. I had my share of those believe me. I look back on those times and it is hard to imagine that my 2 young adult kids are even the same people they were back then. Sometimes being caught doing stupid things can begin the turnaround. Deanne, your potential container arrangements are dynamitecant wait to see them in full glory. Some folks out here in Norcal do dig their Dahlias, but I think its a rain thing, trying to avoid rot. Chelone, dont you just love Annabelle? I wish I had room for a couple more. And as for Sweet Woodruff??? Fie on that one I say ! Ive dug up enough of that to fill a couple yard waste bins and then some, and it has figured prominently in my compost piles. Wish Id never planted it. bug ! Good vibes to Charlotte. I hope that the news is something manageable. Suzy, you have been plant shopping up a storm ! How scary for you and your DH-anything involving the aorta is certainly of a serious nature. I hope your Docs are able to find treatments that will ease him. Well, Im out of steam for now---a big wave to everyone, This is where DS spent a few days last week. Those of you who have been there will probably recognize it. Kathy in Napa
    ...See More

Is it as John Deere 317

Q

Comments (3)
    The 317s had Kohler engines, although some were upgraded by JD Dealers with an Onan replacement. 316s did not come with an hour meter, though it was a dealer installed option. If it has an hour meter, it's on the side of the pedestal, under the hood. Also, there were closed frame 316s that had Kohler engines. Later, Deere reintroduced the 316 with an open frame and an Onan twin. Do you have a serial number plate on your tractor? Take a look and post the first six or seven digits.
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 3/15 thru Wed. 3/17

Q

Comments (27)
    Hi Guys: John - Count me in on the "guys" weekend too. You know how I love golf and a steak!!!! Patti - glad to hear you got your parcel, hope it was all in one piece. Just in case I'm not back on the 20th. Happy, Happy Birthday. French Licks - still get a kick out of the name (but my DD likes it more) - I have no preference, I will fly out of Detroit to where ever this place is located. Keep your fingers crossed, just finished all the boob crunching and ultrasound. Hoping the lump in right one proves to be "nothing". Will report in. Liver lesions are being left alone, aparently nothing to worry about. MRI on liver showed the lesion in the breast. Not sure if I told you about this, but thought I'd better let you all know what's happening. (John, too much info I know) DH has now found the "right" fit yet for a job. Hopefully something will come along soon as he is driving everyone nuts. (but the meals are fabulous). He is cooking completely SS and have all trimmed down some. (He's only 158 lbs., so he really doesn't need to be trimmed) I have to figure out how to send pictures so they can be posted, is it Marci who is taking care of that? I'll check in later. Take care Joanne
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours - Sat 3/17

Q

Comments (17)
    Both the cookie and tin are 4" high. I picked the cookie up this morning when I went to the bakery for fresh rolls - I couldn't resist. The tea is from Bewley's on Grafton Street in Dublin, a lovely place for a spot of tea and people watching.
    ...See More
  • Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Ann - a while ago I read at the Minnesota Wild Rice site (I think) that Canadian wild rice is a longer grain than other wild rice. Looking at your photo I see that is true.

I guess my family's rice could be considered organic. It grows in the marshes and waterways on my brother's 600 acres. We don't do anything to it until it's time to collect it.

Nothing wrong with a meal of buttered wild rice. I have many meals of just that! And I never get tired of it.

Teresa

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

There's way too many good things on this thread for me to comment on. I want to make and eat all of it....

Shaun, Hi! It's so nice to see you post again, I have missed you.

I adjusted a recipe from Chase for our dinner tonight.
    I'll just call it Grand Marnier Shrimp. Very tasty!

Nancy

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Robin, I'm not an artist either, but that's one beautiful pot pie! With mashed potatoes, what could possibly be better?

Well, waffles would be nice, and some wild rice, some stuffed lobster, a couple of nice big shrimp in orange sauce, and a bowl of Shaun's soup.

Welcome back, Shaun!

It's Ann T's beef that got me, though, so Elery and I split a rib eye. We had Harvard beets and mashed rutabaga on the side, I think the rutabaga was even better than the beef!

Well, actually, that was two days ago. Tonight's dinner was baked cod, roasted butternut squash and green beans cooked in chicken broth with some tomatoes.

Annie

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

ruthanna , The salmon was first marinated in the sauce in the refrigerator for about 3 hours then grilled on a cast iron pan.

The shrimps in your shrimp cocktail look very special. They look like they are fresh and not those came from a plastic package. Beautifully photographed as well as prepared hambone stew and baked fluke. Love the fish plate.

jimster , I saw a program on PBS not too long ago about lutefisk. I am now even more curious to find out what you mean by "interesting". I do think I will like the texture from your description. Funny joke! LOL.

foodonastump, there are so many great places within 30 minutes from you where you can get authentic ethnic food in Queens and L.I.
    Your stuffed lobster looks great. I have never done that before. Now I am inspired.

ann_t , my cast iron press broke some time ago. Your delicious tortillas dish reminds me again to look for a new one. The Cajun country pork ribs and grilled burger really make the statement that small servings can be simple, pretty and delicious. And that is also true with your treatment of the wild rice, very elegantly finished.

lindac , wild rice cooking is spreading like wild fire! Just for comparison, I did get some farmed "wild rice". It was good, but not the same as the real stuff. I can smell the down-to-earth aroma from your steaming bowl of real Minnesota Ojibwas stuff that you made.

coconut-nj , sorry to hear about your camera. Hope it will still work.

shaun , Paula Deen's recipe for French Onion Soup is the one I mostly use. But I doubt I can execute it as well as you have.

Posted by rob333 "------I am so NOT an artist."

While it's debatable if you are an artist or not, but you are a very good chef is evidenced by your pie.

Posted by wizardnm " -- I adjusted a recipe from Chase for our dinner tonight.
    I'll just call it Grand Marnier Shrimp. Very tasty! "

I was also checking that recipe. Now that you have shown how nice it really is, I think I am enticed to go for it also.

annie1992, Your rib eye steak looks heavenly. Now, if the rib eye steak is heavenly, and the mashed rutabaga is even better than the steak ------- !!!!!

--------------------------------------------------
    Annie's wonderful looking sausages just won't quite sneaking up on me in my hungry conciousness. Since it will be a while before I make my own, I just went to TJ's and got a few links of chicken sausages. However, I did make the spinach/cheese balls myself.

dcarch
    (Note to myself: Not sure what Photobucket is doing. My pictures are getting bigger than before!)

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Annie, that meal looks great! Hold the harvard beets for me though, lol.

DCArch, I'm not a big sausage eater, though those look good, but I love spinach and those spinach balls look great!

Robin, that's some cool looking pot pie. The insides looks just how I like it. Yum.

Well, luckily, I'm stubborn so I kept trying to figure out that darn camera/card. I finally remembered today that my newish printer/scanner/fax has card slots. Yayyyy... the darn memory card worked in there. Phew. So here is my quiche. See, Jasdip, it is real. LOL. Ok, the moose may be deer though. It's a family. Pops with nice big antlers, a doe and a couple of fawns. In the one pic it looks like the buck is sniffing the quiche. Heh..

Broccoli and cauliflower quiche

Hmm..a water spot on the fork. Darn dishwasher aka Christy. Smiles.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Annie, your dinner looks so good!
    Dcarch I thought your spinach balls were brussels sprouts at first. I love brussels, never made spinach balls, I should, after seeing yours.

Coconut....yaaay! Your quiche looks delectable! So light and tasty. Everytime I see a pic of a good quiche, I want to make it again. I seldom make it, as there are only 2 things hubs won't eat.....eggs and mushrooms, so I never think of making it just for me.

• sissyz
    13 years ago

For a long time, I have read this thread and marveled at how smart you cooks were, to plate up your dinners and then take a picture! It seems like it takes all I've got some days, just to get dinner to the table, much less artfully arrange it on a platter.
    Well, the other night, daughter and daddy were decorating for Christmas and I was taking shots of them doing so. I walked thru the kitchen and realized I had my camera in my hand!! Daddy and daughter laughed at me as I took a picture of our dinner.

I know this is not glamorous food and my white balance is off, but it's a miracle-getting thru basketball and volleyball practice, the house decorated and dinner on the table with a picture!!
    It's something called Italian Stew and the 3 of us devoured this entire pot.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

sissyz, it looks scrumptious. Pour me a cup on this blustery grey day. I'm all over it!

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Oh Sissyz, that looks SO good!!!!
    Care to share the recipe?

• sissyz
    13 years ago

This is so easy, I'm embarrassed.

1lb italian sausage
    1lb ground pork

8oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced thickly
    small white onion, chopped
    6 large carrots, unpeeled, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

26oz beef stock
    32oz beef broth
    14oz can diced tomatoes, italian style
    19oz can northen beans
    One bunch of kale, stems removed, chopped

Brown meats together, drain off grease save for 1TBSP. Set meats aside. In saved grease, saute garlic, onion, mushrooms, and carrots until they begin to soften. Remove veggies from pan, turn the heat up on the pan.
    When pan begins to sizzle, quickly pour in broth, beans, stock, and tomatoes. Turn heat down.
    Return meat and veggies to pan, simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Minutes before serving, throw in the kale. Allow kale to wilt and serve.

See? easy. The original recipe called for zucchini, and used RoTel spicy tomatoes. It even called for tortellini.
    I subbed the mushrooms, kale, carrots, beans and italian tomatoes. I sure don't think it needs pasta!

One more thing I do to this recipe is toss in one of the pesto ice cubes I made last summer. (It makes me feel like such an organized person to be able to pull out that zip top bag of pesto cubes, made last September!!)
    I also float a Parmesan rind in there, if I got one!

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

You're right, it does look easy!!

Quick question sissy. You mention both stock and broth.
    I always buy the beef broth in the resealable carton. I've never seen "stock" in the store. Do you make your own, therefore making both??

What is the difference between the two? I always thought they were interchangeable, just a name that people prefer.

• sissyz
    13 years ago

jasdip, I have always understood it this way:
    stock is unseasoned broth.
    broth is what you get when you dilute and season the stock.
    In the instance of my recipe, stock carries the load of the beef flavor. It is in there to bring the beef profile forward. It also gives dishes a deeper color than broth.
    I find it right next to the broth, in a smaller container, and since it is more concentrated flavor, it is more expensive!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Sissyz, love your soup! I'm making a similar version this afternoon. I call it "clean out the fridge soup." Except mine will be vegetarian and with some fake meat crumbles I have to use up, and spinach.

Last night BF and I had a celebration of cruciferous vegetables. Stir fry with cauliflower, sweet and sour coleslaw, and roasted brussel sprouts. Man! what a revelation those brussel sprouts were. I just roasted them like my friend told me to, with EVOO and salt. They tasted sweet! I couldn't stop eating them. And I converted BF over to brussel sprouts.

Coconut, your quiche looks delicious. It's one of my favorite foods!
    DC, I have a recipe for those spinach balls but have been skeptical about making them, not sure if I would like them or they would be worth the trouble. Your photo has given me impetus to put them on the menu some time soon. BF and I both like spinach.
    Love the fish plate Ruthanna!
    Some day I have GOT to make pot pie. But as you know, I am dough challenged. I can rarely even muster pot pie's plain cousin, shepherd's pie.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

We just finished eating the slow-cooked pork recipe that Teresa_mn posted yesterday in the pork thread.
    It has a sauce of brown sugar, dijon and balsamic vinegar.

Absolutely delicious!!! A nieghbour was here visiting and the food was all done, just keeping warm so we could eat. I didn't want to take more time, to take pictures.

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

I see tacos in my future. Or steak, or stew, or quiche?

Yesterday I had my parents and sister over for lunch. I loved this recipe from Cooking Light which included corn fritters, roasted tomato and prosciutto.

Dinner was definitely inspired by CF. Grand Marnier Shrimp were a delicious appetizer.

Quail was the recipe that Linda C had linked, with preserved lemons. The pan sauce was awesome but I'm in no particular hurry to try quail again. They were ok, but I could take 'em or leave 'em. Silly presentation in retrospect with those lemons, oh well.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Sissyz, there's nothing wrong with easy. Your Italian Stew looks good and just the thing for a busy day.

Coconut, I'm always ready for quiche. Broccoli and cauliflower sounds good to me.

FOAS, I'm lovin' your stacked luncheon! Your shrimp look great... I didn't fry mine, only because the deep fryer is still buried somewhere. Quail... they look cute but I hear you on 'take 'em or leave 'em...

Nothing fancy this weekend, the cabinet guy was here almost the whole day on Saturday.....I have drawers! I still can't load up yet though, still need lots of detailing and doors. This guy is slow but he does beautiful work.

Here is a preview... there will be spice pullouts on either side of the cook top and warming drawer.

I did manage to cook a pork shoulder roast yesterday, brown sugar fried apples hit the spot.

Nancy

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

coconut-nj, best looking Broccoli and cauliflower quiche posted here so far.

Posted by sissyz "------ It's something called Italian Stew and the 3 of us devoured this entire pot."

It is so delicious looking, I can see why the three of you ate everything, including the pot. And thanks for the recipe.

lpinkmountain, I sometime buy one of those pre-washed large bag of spinach leaves. First I use them for salad. In a few days the spinach will get a little old, I would cook them. In another few days, I would make spinach balls with the leftover cooked spinach.

Nancy, great looking kitchen. Look forward to the magic that will be created in it.

FOAS, impressive, inspiring, and Inviting. You have shown everyone that good plating does not mean it will take a long time and that it does not mean mutilation of the ingredients either. Your corn fritters, roasted tomato and prosciutto, Grand Marnier Shrimp, and quails are all gloriously appealing to the eyes, and obviously predictably delectable.
    Did I say impressive, inspiring, and inviting?

--------------------------------------------------------

Well I am tied of making quails. But I have been asked again and again to make some more. So here it is, another quail dish. I am of the opinion that FOAS's quail recipe is very delicious, but more suitable for Cornish hens. I am sticking to crispy fried quails. This one is on a bed of fried loofah squash.

dcarch

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Lots of great looking food everyone! Too many to try to comment on everything... but Nancy, your new kitchen looks AMAZING!!! I would love to see more pictures.

Sissy - I made a very similar type of soup - Woodie's Tortellini and Sausage just the other day. It is very similar to your Italilan Stew and yours looks delish! The quiche looks great as do the Orange Shrimp.

Tonight I am making Shambo's Pastitsio and a big salad with Greek "stuff" in it. Lots of feta, olives, etc. I will try to remember to get a few pics when it comes out of the oven.

Alexa

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Wizardmom, don't forget to post your kitchen on the Pics of our kitchen thread!

• shambo
    13 years ago

Not dinner stuff, but yesterday I made baklava. We're spending Christmas with my new son-in-law's family, and they're a big bunch. I made two pans and cut the baklava in small diamond shapes. My son-in-law is allergic to walnuts so I used pistachios & almonds for the nut filling.

In the pictures you can see that we've already started nibbling. In my family we have a tradition. The guests & friends get all the perfect pieces. All the weird ends, corners, & curled up fillo bits are for the family.

My grandmother did not skimp on the honey syrup. While other recipes might call for a simple sugar syrup with only 1/2 cup honey for flavoring, my grandmother used 3 cups of honey to 1 cup of water. As my husband says, "If you're not licking the honey syrup off your fingers for ten minutes, you're not eating baklava."

• caliloo
    13 years ago

And here is my first try at Pastitsio! It is excellent :-) Baklava is on the list for this week Thanks Sue!

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Shambo:
    Do you deliver ???
    I'll take all the wierd ends, broken corners , etc.

My PC is crazy, so I won't comment on all the Great Food and Photo's.

I've been making simple dishes.
    Tonight I cooked up some of the Wild Rice ,

Teresa Mn , sent to me.

I brought 4 cups of water to boil and added a full tablespoon of Chicken Soup Base.

Added a one half cup of washed Wild Rice, simmered that for 1 hour.
    It was too much, so I took out half and added one can of Condensed Mushroom Soup.

Simmered that for a few minutes and added one cup of mixed Vegetables.
    What a Combo. It was delicious !!!
    I'm going for seconds now.
    Thanks , Teresa.

Lou

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Sue, that baklava looks amazing. Elery made some for my Mother's birthday last fall, maybe we need to make some more for Christmas.

Everything looks delicious, wow, we've been eating well here.

Nancy, I love that kitchen!

I went and picked up the fresh beef yesterday, Amanda got 351 pounds for her freezer. I took the overflow that wouldn't fit, so I have lots of soup bones, the ox-tail, the heart and liver and a bunch of roasts. So, Cooper and I had liver with onions and bacon and mashed potatoes. Yummy, but not worth a picture.

Annie

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Had to bump the WFD back up,
    So I'll put in my dinner for tonight.
    Had some Corn I froze; with the husks on, in the freezer.
    I had that, with Roast Porkloin, Wild rice and Apple slices.

Dcarch:
    I raised quail about 25 years ago, until they started to attract preditors.

LOU

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shambo, wow, your Baklava looks amazing.

Alexa, I think I will be adding Pastitsio to the menu over the holidays. Yours looks delicious.

We had a small grilled prime rib again this week. My favourite grocery store has a wonderful meat counter and a butcher on staff and they often have their beef on sale. I picked up two small prime ribs, one for the freezer and one for dinner. All that talk about Yorkshire Pudding last week gave me a craving so I made one big Yorkshire in a cast iron skillet.

And last night I grilled a small rack of pork, rubbed with fresh garlic and lots of black pepper and sage. Served with homemade Rice-A-Roni, sauted oyster mushrooms and steamed broccoli.

The Rice-A-Roni was easy to make. Break up vermicelli and saute in butter until brown. Add a little chopped onion, fresh minced garlic and rice. Add enough chicken broth to cover by about 1/2 inch, cover and simmer until the rice is cooked. Remove lid, add some chopped parsley and chives, cover with paper towels, put the lid back on and let the rice steam for a few minutes.

• sissyz
    13 years ago

ann_t...
    I want to make your rice-a-roni, do I read it to say you cover the rice with a paper towel? In the pot? Sorry to seems so dense, I've never made this before!
    Sissy

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sissy, once the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed, I turn off the heat, cover with paper towels and put the lid back on. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. The rice will stay hot and the paper towels absorb any moisture. Fluff with a fork and serve.

Ann

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Made a quick meal with a large piece of Pork Loin.
    Cut it up and added it to some thinned Chicken gravy. Simmered it for 1/2 hour then added 1 cup of mixed vegetables and a cup of Wild Rice,
    To make a Stew.
    LOU

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Hello everyone...

I still visit here when I can and see so much interesting food as always.

I'm both cooking simple dishes at home and eating out with friends.
    Wolf likes me to bring him something back or make small quantities of his special dishes as he's still not able to get up and out of bed.

Yesterday day I met friends across the street from the Botanical Gardens where there are some new cafes and restaurants joining the existing ones.
    It was a beautiful day and after chatting for over an hour we decided to have some garlic prawns.
    I took a couple of very short video clips - just a few seconds each as I didn't think I had any battery power left but here they are.

Garlic Prawns (Gambas al Ajillo)

Sunny cafe terrace.

I hope I can get back to my routine soon and be more present on the WFD in the coming months.

Cheers,

SharonCb

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon, Nice to see you posting again. I'm sorry that Wolf is still not well enough to be up and about, but it sounds like he is still enjoying good food.

I love that video of the sizzling prawns.

Ann

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Everything looks and sounds wonderful. I have not been cooking as much as usual because of a round of holiday dinners and parties, which are now mostly finished until the new year. I did make Christmas cookies to send overseas to soldier DD and gave most of the rest away to neighbors so got the baking urge out of my system without overindulging.

Ann, your beautiful Dec. 3rd prime rib photo stuck in my head so I had to have a rib roast for a dinner party last Tuesday. I made David's roasted garlic soup with less broth and added horseradish for a warm horseradish sauce instead of the usual cold one. That will be on the menu again.

Today, I am making some chicken rice soup, the beginnings of a beef stew, and a roast duck. I'll try to remember to take some photos.

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

We have been enjoying our tea Advent Calendar from DD - this night with cornmeal-cherry cookies.

Roasted a duck for Sunday's dinner. There were also roasted Brussels sprouts on the platter but I had to take the photo before they were ready.

We are having a soup buffet on Christmas night so I made and froze the soup bases yesterday. I did keep some of the chicken one out to complete for this week's lunches.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Ruthanna, your duck looks perfect and I love all your plates. Oh, the cookies too....(grin)

So much good food going on here, I'd like some of everything, starting with Ann T's pork loin. I've no excuse for that, I have a whole pig in the freezer, I ought to cook some, sheesh.

I spent the weekend with the kids while Amanda was in her weekend class, so we mostly had Burger King, then baked cookies, made fudge, ate some. I skipped Saturday lunch, the kids had pizza. Saturday night we went to McDonald's, mostly to play on the slides. I had a mocha. Sunday morning we warmed up the snowflake pancakes I made on Saturday because Makayla was the angel in the church nativity scene.

I made a chuck roast for Cooper and the kids both had some of that so they could tell their Dad I made them eat dog food, LOL. Supper last night was grilled cheese after I took the kids home and stopped at the farm to do chores. I haven't had breakfast yet.

Sharon, I'm glad to see you back, and that Wolf is at least interested in food. I've got him in my prayers that he'll be up and around very soon.

Annie

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Wow, I had to dig for this one.

Let's see, the kids were over last weekend and we had pancakes shaped like snowflakes. Before you get too impressed, I made round pancakes and cut them out with cookie cutters, LOL.

Mine stayed round, and I put an egg in the middle, a habit I learned from Dad, and he from his Dad.

I made some scalloped potatoes with leftover ham one day:

After that, it became an endless round of holiday meals, with no pictures. Stromboli and homemade ravioli and prime rib and office pot lucks, yesterday I just wanted something that wasn't heavy and rich and full of meat so I made Ann T's stacked enchiladas with a small chunk of grated Irish cheddar leftover from one of the parties. They were so good with a side of beans:

I went to the farm today, filled tanks and feeders, scratched David's fast growing and very friendly pigs that he has in the bottom of the barn in a pen, gave Bossy Cow, Red Cow and the horses all leftover Christmas cookies for treats and came home to a cup of hot coffee and some Shaker Lemon Pie from the Meyer Lemons Arlene sent me:

And that's what was for dinner, the leftovers from the enchiladas, pie and coffee. And it was plenty.

Annie

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Pasta! DD and I had lots of fun today making and eating pasta using my new K/A pasta attachments. She'll probably take the fettuccine home, and I'll keep the spaghetti.

We are looking forward to trying spinach, tomato, and carrot pasta next time.

Di

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow Di. you and your daughter did a great job on your pasta. I'd keep the spaghetti too.

What are you serving it with?

Ann

• cotehele
    13 years ago

Annie, I am with you there; too much rich food. We wanted something simple for supper last night. I made bibimbap with spinach, savoy cabbage, carrots, red peppers, mushrooms, little braised gluten cutlets, onions and garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and of course hot red pepper paste.

Di, the pasta looks good enough to eat. :-)

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Di, that is beautiful pasta, mine never looks like that!

cotehele, that looks good, lots and lots of vegetables are a good thing right now.

My supper was exactly what it was last night, I had leftovers.

Annie

• jimster
    13 years ago

I haven't posted much lately but I've been watching and enjoying.

Always nice to hear from Sharon. Isn't this the first time for posting video clips here? I didn't know it was possible. I like it.

Ruthanna, the duck looks wonderful, as does everything you cook. You always have something interesting.

Di, nice work on the pasta.

Annie, all of that food looks mouthwatering delicious.

Cotehele, it's great to see someone cooking Korean food at home. Maybe I will give it a try. I like it in restaurants but never thought about doing it at home; with the exception of kimchee. I do make kimchee at home.

Jim

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Seems as good a place as any to post a few Thank You's for the help and inspiration for my Christmas dinners:

Ann - The tourtiere was a huge hit Christmas Eve. Being as I had a leftover pie, my parents suggested I serve it again Christmas Day! (I didn't.)

Sharon (Chase) - Somehow I managed to save one of your jars of Chili Sauce for the tourtiere. Five adults, one pie, almost a pint of sauce gone. 'Nuff said?

Everyone on Linda's (doucanoe) Prime Rib thread - For giving me the courage to try this for the first time on Christmas Day. I used Cook's Illustrated's low roast method and was extremely pleased with the consistent doneness throughout. CI's Yorkshire Pudding was fabulous also.

Alexa - For posting Paula Deen's mushroom recipe. Another huge hit. My father asked to take home the leftovers. Such a compliment is unheard of from him. Also, for posting the jus and your other last minute details and words of encouragement.

Ruthanna - The deviled bones were, um, fun? Definitely not for polite company. Please pass the dental floss! Definitely worth the mess.

I have no pictures of any of this, but I couldn't have been more pleased with the Christmas meals I served and it seems like everyone agreed. Thanks everyone!!!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I'm jumping on your "thank you" bandwagon FOAS. Thank you for your dry brine method for turkeys Ann! I could not let the turkey rest as I had to pick at the skin, the thigh... it was perfectly done. I had a regular turkey dinner, leftovers, then a two inch thick sandwich with lots of mayo and s/p, then turkey divan, and then turkey fried rice. There is enough for one more dish of something. I haven't decided what, but I still have load of cornbread dressing. Wonder if one could cook that in polenta style rounds? ;)

• cotehele
    13 years ago

Jim, I am learning to make Korean dishes these days. My son married into a Korean family and we sort of adopted a Korean married couple who are in the same graduate program as our kids.

This last day of the year, I cleaned out the refrigerator and made bibimbap. It is the easiest and the most adaptable to vegetables that need to be used up. Try making it. It's easy. I don't plan to make kimchee. I've never tasted it, but I don't like pickled foods.

Here is a link that might be useful: A few more pictures on my blog.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

cotehele, apparently no one had the nerve to follow that bibimbap!

OK, I'll go ahead. I got a new toy, the 6 quart Nesco roaster that I wanted:

{{!gwi}}

So I made vegetable beef soup with some of the leftover prime rib:

{{!gwi}}

It's still pretty hot, don't burn your tongue, LOL.

Elery's birthday was Sunday, so I made two stuffed pork loins. My favorite was the one on the left that didn't look as pretty, it was stuffed with apples and cranberries with some ginger and allspice, brown sugar and mustard seed, very yummy. the other had mushrooms, onions, some herbs and Asiago cheese:

{{!gwi}}

On New year's Day we had black eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread:

{{!gwi}}

On elery's Birthday The Princess and Bruvver had hot chocolate with whipped cream and sprinkles, and Bruvver wanted to make sure you got to see his sprinkles!

{{!gwi}}

And I made one of Elery's favorites, pasta Fra Diavolo, with mussels. I left the pasta and ate the mussels!

{{!gwi}}

OK, caught up again.....

Annie

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Annie I see you are still so busy in your kitchen.
    Belated birthday greetings to Elery!

I'm just dropping in to help finish up this thread because my cooking has been a bit on and off with still some days out and take homes from the deli when I can't make dinners on time.

Yesterday I had to go down in the town to pick up some new glasses for Wolf. The optometrist just happens to be in a lovely old building on the main plaza which houses a little restaurant where Wolf and I used to frequent. As it was after lunch time I stopped and had some of their roast turkey in mushroom gravy with German pan-fried potatoes.

And as I takeaway for Wolf, I took some of their duck with croquettes and baked apple and gravy. He was so happy!
    Here's a pic of my turkey (as though I haven't already had enough turkey....but it was so good!)

And now I'm going to the bakery to buy a Roscon de Reyes or King Cake because tonight is when the Three Kings arrive on camels to bring the Spanish children their Christmas gifts.
    All bakeries will have these crown topped light pastry rings on sale today.
    Some plain, some split and filled with whipped cream or custard. Here's one from another year:

SharonCb

• annie1992
    13 years ago

sharon, the turkey looks yummy, as does the cake. I'm taking my tree down tomorrow, I've not gotten to it and have used the 12th Night excuse, LOL.

I do hope Wolf can get up and around and go to dinner with you soon, it's been a long haul for him.

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Cotehele, I'd love to have a bowl of your bibimbap. Annie, Elery sure had a wonderful birthday meal. Sharon, the King Cake reminds me of ones sold in New Orleans on Shrove Tuesday.

We are starting another year of "weight maintenance for life" cooking. By now, I have the hang of it and look forward to the inspiration this thread and the CF provide.

I made about a gallon of 4-bean stew for visitors but didn't take a photo. Some other dinners in the last week:

Ramen noodles dressed up with pork tenderloin, bamboo shoots, etc.

Pork, turkey kielbasa, and "red" sauerkraut for New Year's Day.

Tenderloin steak on toast and asparagus with an orange hollandaise-y type sauce.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie, are you happy with your new roaster?
    Sharon, that turkey dinner looks delicious. As does that cake. I'm glad that Wolf still enjoys eating. The duck sounds good to me. I hope the New Year brings him better health.

Ruthanna, All your meals look delicious, but if I had to choose one it would be the beef tenderloin.

Ann

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Ann, so far I'm very happy with it. I used it as a slow cooker for black eyed peas on New Year's Day, and I used it for the soup, browning the bones first in the roaster, then adding all the other ingredients and letting it cook, so I didn't have to brown bones and then use a crockpot too.

I haven't actually roasted anything except bones yet, though.

Elery was impressed enough that he says he might get himself one because it would be good for roasting a chicken or something small without turning the oven on. Since he works for a utility company and he was an electrician in the past, he was very busily figuring out how much it would save using that instead of my gas oven, LOL.

Annie