SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvn_petersen3

Frustrated with bermuda

kvn_petersen3
6 years ago

Location: Clayton North Carolina, just east of Raleigh. 10k sq ft of lawn area.

Moved into a new construction house in April of last year. Builder had centipede sodded in just the front of the house which has done fine. All I have done is fertilize with 1/2 lb of nitrogen a month ago and watered maybe 3 times total.

The rest of the yard (sides and back) were just a few weeds and hard orange dirt. Last May I sprayed baby shampoo and molasses, put down cracked corn and milorganite just to get some organic matter down. In June I had a guy rough up the top couple inches of soil with a skid steer. I then put down lime at about 30 lbs per 1k and raked it in (soil is acidic 9 times out of 10 in this area). The end of June put down starter fertilizer and a mixture of triangle and blackjack bermuda seed. Raked it. Rolled it. And kept it wet. By the end of July I had a pretty thick stand of grass with some weeds mixed in which I expected. Mowed as low as I could (1.5") and watered deep and infrequent once a week. Put down 1lb of nitrogen a month with a shot of alfalfa pellets in between once. It was great. Late September I hit the weeds with celsius. Seemed to kill the weeds and not hurt the bermuda. I gave it the last dose of nitro in late October. Tested soil in December (not very good). Put down pre emergent in February. More lime in March. Scalped and bagged the clippings in late April. It's now June and all I have are a few small patches of bermuda scattered around and a bunch of a certain weed that looks like a miniature tree.

What did I do wrong/what now?

Texas weed, dchall, reeljake, anybody. I've lurked for a while but thought I had this under control until now. Fwiw my lawn didn't go fully dormant until a couple weeks after all of the people in my neighborhood with sodded bermuda had gone dormant. But here it is June and I have a mostly brown dead looking lawn.

Comments (32)