SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_yee_gw

New Bermuda Frustrations

chris.yee
10 years ago

Help!

My wife and I recently built a new home in the Central Texas Hill Country (Leander, TX) 30-minutes outside of Austin. The home came with a sprinkler system and Bermuda sod in both front and back.

The sod was laid in the beginning of May. It was watered daily for the first 2-1/2 weeks to let the roots establish themselves in the ground (which is a very thin layer of builder-provided cheap top soil with rocky clay underneath). During that time, and about 3 weeks after, it looked FANTASTIC!

Late May, I switched the watering schedule to two days a week (Thursday and Sunday) to comply with our watering restrictions. I water 4-6 inches deep and early in the morning. Around late June the grass started to lighten and almost yellow.

I read that early July was a great time to fertilize so I purchased some Medina "Growin' Green" 4-2-3 fertilizer and applied it/watered it in on July 3rd. Since then, I've maintained the same watering schedule and have been applying Maxicrop liquid seaweed weekly to help protect it from the heat.

I'm mowing about once a week and keeping it between 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 inches long to prevent the surface roots from getting too toasted by the sun. I'm also letting the clippings fall into the yard as opposed to bagging.

It's STILL yellowish in color and barely growing but for some "good spots" here and there! (picture attached)

Due to the pitiful soil base my home builder provided, my gut tells me I need to wait until October - top dress for the first time/fertilize again and have more patience. But, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to expedite the process to getting the lush, GREEN lawn I've dreamed of.

Thanks in advance for your much needed advice!

Comments (5)

Sponsored