SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Composting Bermuda Grass

10 years ago

Help! I'm really tired and the answer is probably simple, but I'm scratching my head over my compost that includes enormous amounts of bermuda grass.

Recently, 5,000 sq ft of ground was plowed. I am in the process of digging out the bermuda grass and roots. blah blah

I have clay. Sometimes the clay is rock hard with roots attached. Because I have so much bermuda grass I'm trying to hot compost it. I cannot keep it hot. Bermuda is wiry, promotes drying and often has dirt attached that contributes to new growth when the compost goes cold.

At present, my pile stays around 3' x 3' Seems to drop quickly overnight in mass. I cannot dig it up fast enough to make a very large pile. Eventually, i'll have a bigger pile, though. I'm adding kitchen scraps just as I would with other greens and watering well. I haven't turned it because I'm so tired from garden work and it's very heavy with the clay soil intermixed. But is some of this bermuda acting green while other parts acting brown? I think I'm confused on the necessary ratio. I just cannot seem to get this ratio right. IT dries out quickly, but I just put a tarp over it. It must stay hot or it'll just regrow right where it is. I'm considering having the boys do their leaky bizness into a bucket for added nitrogen. Would that help?

Positive contributions:

Fresh bunny berries and stock, but not copious amounts
Lots of fresh hay.
Access to alfalfa pellets (to be ground into a nitro starter).
Negative Contributions:

Drying winds. (I keep it watered and use a tarp.)

What would you do?

Thanks so much, in advance.

~Bermuda hater

Comments (29)