SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

Do people still wear watches??

I haven't worn a watch for years. When I did I like the kind that had a metal band and you just sorta locked. No having to take the time to mess with "buckling". I just liked to be able to slip it on and latch while walking out the door. Now with cell phones, I think most people use that to tell time but I'm sure there are a lot of work places where people cant have their phone out.

Do you still wear a watch? For looks for the actual purpose of telling time? :-)

Comments (67)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I always wear my watch! I keep my iPhone in my handbag. I use my watch both for time and a jewelry as it's a lovely gold/diamond watch. It's waterproof (screw down bezel) so I rarely take it off!

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

Not since high school. Jody bought me a nice watch...can't think of the brand now, but it was over $300, which was a lot of money in 1965. Benrus. That's what it was. I knew I'd think of it eventually. Jody says time means nothing to me. Actually, almost any time of the day, I know what time it is without looking. I can look at the clock and I am never off by more than 15 minutes. He wears a watch...always has.

• Related Discussions

Do women still wear knee high hose?

Q

Comments (40)
    I hope nobody thought I wore socks with sandals! I meant to say that ALL shoes rub so I wear socks or hose, I don't wear the flip-flop type sandals at all b/c they rub. Sometimes I will wear hose with a strappy shoe that I guess you could call a sandal - if they're dressy, have heels (even wedges). Casual open-toe sandals I don't wear hose - of course I'm usually wearing those with shorts! Even in my 20's and wearing miniskirts I always wore hose with heels. They help reduce the friction. Don't do anything for sweaty feet though - I had lots of pairs of hose with stained feet from the dye coming off the shoes. My kids' shoes stink - even 10-yr old DD's feet sometimes stink. But the 15-yr runner's are the worst!
    ...See More

Still wear mascara everyday?

Q

Comments (51)
    Good morning, Yes, the Donnatella link was supposed to be funny. I do have some tips for over 50 makeup of my own. The number one ager is too thin eyebrows, you know the ones that are all pencil. Another is either too dark or too bleached hair. If you have thin lips, wear a shade that is the closest to the skin inside your mouth. A soft pink but not too bright. Wearing dark lipstick and lining lips makes you look older. Unless of course if you still have full lips. Lastly, go easy on eyeshadow. Too much just draws people to the ageing eyelid. Is everyone over 50 adequately depressed now? Donna
    ...See More

Do you wear a watch?

Q

Comments (43)
    I have always worn a watch since I learned to tell time at a young age of 6. He said I had begged for one since I could talk. LOL My father told me if I learned to tell time he would buy me a watch for Christmas. My mother helped with the aide of a paperplate, for the face of the clock, numbers around the paper plate with minutes also, and a long and short hand that was able to turn around the face of the paperplate.(clock) For Christmas that year I received a beautiful Timex waterproof watch. I would not take it off. :-) I still wear a watch most of the time to this day. I bathe in it, sleep in it..do not cook or wash any pots and pans in it, but everything else is fair game. I even garden in my everyday watch. I like to know the time of day...right when I want to know. LOL All my watches now are self-winding. They are a little more pricey than my first timex. But I would not mind one bit wearing a timex watch, as it lasted me for years. I finally lost it at the beach on vacation. I had just bought a new band for it, and I am thinking that somehow it had come unfastened and was a goner.
    ...See More

Would you wear, or do you wear?

Q

Comments (38)
    I hate hats too and living in SD there are times in the winter when I need one but my head itches so bad I cant stand them. As for hair extensions, no I wouldnt. I would never spend that kind of money on it for one thing and it would drive me nuts when my head itches like it does all the time. I worked with a girl who had them. She was half white and half black. She spent a lot of money to have them put in. This was when she was in high school. Then she couldnt afford to have themmaintained so you could always see the little rubber band things in her hair and it really looked stupid. Now she is attending hairdresser college and she has them in again and I still dont like them.So NO not for me.
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

I need to find my watch and send it in to get a new battery and sealed. It's a Nixon watch..... I wore a Fitbit Charge HR for close to 3 years until a week ago when it broke. Quite literally, broken! :( I've got my eye on an Apple Watch. I know I don't want a cheap $9.99 watch like the ones we sell at work. I want a good one. And I'm a techy geek person so the Apple Watch sounds perfect for me. I just hate the price.... It's a little *too* expensive.

• nicole___
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

At the gym a woman told me she was wearing a Rolex....my first thought was "why"?

Everyone else is wearing a fitbit or similar.....at a gym. Fitbit for me.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I wear my watch whenever I leave the house. I can't count on my phone since I always have to scrabble through my bag to find it. Admittedly, there are clocks all over the place but it is so easy to glance at my wrist to see what time it is. Both my adult sons where them all the time, too.

• kathleen44
    6 years ago

I wear a watch as I like to know what time it is. Its a nice large size number and very easy to read and press the button on side and it lights up to see when its dark. Its one that you slip on and off.

• terilyn
    6 years ago

I do, I wear a Rolex for everyday use, then for special occasions I wear a beautiful diamond one that was my mothers. When my son was deployed I wore a Phillip Stein Tesslar with two faces. One was set for our time and the other for wherever he was in the world. Made me feel a little bit better knowing at least at a glance what time it was where he was.

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Yes, my current favorite...

• blfenton
    6 years ago

I have a solar-powered Seiko which is an analog and no date and I really like it and wear it all the time.. The one thing I have noticed is that every few years I have to get one with a bigger face so that I can read it.

• lily316
    6 years ago

I have always worn a watch when I leave the house until recently when I upgraded my old Fitbit and got one with the time. I always wore the classic Timex but the batteries don't last as long as they used to.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Yes, I still wear a watch. I don't wear one around the house, or any other jewelry other than my wedding band. I just put on jewelry when I go somewhere. I would not find dragging out my phone to be convenient, just to look at the time.

• Janie
    6 years ago

I also love my Rolex and wear it every time I leave the house, feeling naked without it. Its got sentimental value to me and I love winding it every day.

• chessey35
    6 years ago

I wear a Citizen eco-drive - which doesn't use batteries, mostly when I go out. I've had it for several years and it just keeps going.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I still love my watch, although I don't wear it often. It was a graduation gift from Mother, with attractive gold and silver toned band, and it slips onto my wrist. Battery operated and very comfortable. Quality made! Quicker than pulling out the phone! (I seldom carried a phone at work - no reception there, with thick concrete walls. But there were an abundance of wall clocks everywhere there...)

PS: no desire to own or wear a Fitbit. After all, they can't measure gardening/yard work/heavy lifting activities, and the ones I've seen aren't as attractive as a good bracelet or watch.

• caroline94535
    6 years ago

I've always worn a watch; I do not want to be holding a device every time I want to check the time.

I've always owned only one watch at a time, until last year.

My first was a Seiko my grandmother gave me. It had a tiny gold rectangular case with a dark, emerald green oval dial and a narrow, black, suede leather strap There were tiny gold lines to mark the hours and small double bars at 6 and 12. It was stolen about 10 years later and I've spent my life trying to replace it.

I wore a heavier, but still dainty, two-tone, mother-of-pearl Citizen watch for nearly 20 years. DH gave it to me. Again, it was a small watch with tiny gold dots to mark the hours, and very comfortable, even with the metal band.

Women's watch style was "big and bulky" then, but I still preferred tiny faces with no numbers.

Now? I found a vintage "new but old stock" Fossil watch. It's by far the largest watch I've ever worn. I love the mother-of-pearl face, the "no hour markers," thin gold hands, the abalone shell rim, the high domed crystal, and the leather strap.

It was $30 and still runs like a champ. I've worn it for three years so far.

This photo and the shadow on the face do not do it justice.

I found this Seiko, which is a match for the one Grandmother gave me in 1973, but the case is scuffed and I can't find an original band.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

I have a number of watches. My one that I wear when I go out for an evening is my Eco-Seiko. I've had it for 15 years and just last month I had to replace the mechanism that charges it.

I don't use my phone, it's in my purse for emergencies. I don't want to be one of those majority of people that always carry a phone in their hand. I like having both hands free to do things, pick up things etc. So many people carry their phone when they're out walking their dog, and I don't know why.

• jesshs
    6 years ago

Yep, still wear a watch. And often have people ask me in stores or while out and about for the time. I have a beautiful citizen silver and gold, but end up wearing my Timex Ironman most of the time. I like that the date is easily readable and also I use the stopwatch function frequently as a teacher.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Caroline, that mother of pearl watch is beautiful!!!

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I've always worn a watch. My daily watch is a Baume and Mercier tank I've had for about 20 years. But I have a 'collection'. My latest is an Apple watch and I love to wear it for lots of casual activities. I also have my Garmin I wear when running and a couple of other casual watches, one white and one with a black leather band. I can't bring my cell phone or Apple watch to my office so I definitely use my watch& I don't like being a slave to my phone anyway.

I'm another who is tired of digital displays.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

I'm a timophile so I've worn a watch since high school (late 1960s). I have analog clocks all over the house, on my phone, computer screens, and my Honda Pilot has an analog clock face in it. When I want to know the time I usually only need to glance sideways and there's a clock face. I can't imagine needing to know the time and having to fumble for my phone.

• lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

Yes, I wear a watch. Can't remember a time since high school that I didn't wear one. Only one watch in use at a time, most usually a Timex, and when it dies, I get a new Timex. Getting a smaller faced watch is not easy these days. Seems like everything else, watch faces are supersized. Due to metal allergies, I always use a leather band.

My daughter, a nurse, takes off her watch the minute that she arrives home from work.

• chisue
    6 years ago

I've used a Citizen Eco-Drive for at least ten years. I only wear it outside the house. Plenty of clocks in the house, and I have my 'internal timer' that knows when the actual timer is about to ring because the pie in the oven is done. I find this watch 'clunky' and remove it immediately when I return home.

My safety deposit box enjoys an 18 carat gold mesh Baume et Mercier bracelet watch with a covered dial. (Remember when it was impolite to wear a watch to a party? This let you sneak a peek.) I would advertise it as low-mileage, owned by a little old lady who hardly ever drove it, er, wore it. (She thought it was pretty wonderful back when her DH gave it to her.)

My favorite watch was an ultra-thin gold tone Seiko battery-powered watch that Seiko stopped servicing (stopped making replacement batteries). Svelt. Rectangular dial. Almost weightless. Lighted when you pressed the winding stem. I still have it. Hope springs eternal!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    6 years ago

After I retired I finally quit wearing a watch when the battery would stop. It was too much trouble to keep buying batteries and get them installed. I would love an old fashioned wind up watch that is feminine and comfortable. My favorite watches years ago were two I found with bands made with loose links. I don't like a tight fitting watch and prefer a very loose linked bracelet.

• bob_cville
    6 years ago

My wife bought me a watch about 25 years ago, I wore it for several years until I hit the crystal on something and cracked it badly. After that I didn't own or wear a watch for many years, until we were going on a month long cruise, and decided avoiding missing the boat would be a good thing. We each bought Timex sport watches, and wore them for the duration of the trip and I continued to wear mine off and on for another year or so, but the band broke, and I haven't felt a need to fix it or replace it.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I had a favorite I wore for years. I remember it was from Target, it had a little red X or maybe a plus sign emblem. I have a small wrist and I have to adjust the links uneven so the face of the watch sits in the right spot on top of my wrist. I really don't need a watch, I work in an office so there's a clock plus the time on the computer screen and I can look at my cell anytime during work. I do see a lot of pretty watches I'd wear though.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

When a watch battery dies, I typically take it to either a jewelry store that sells watches (the old fashioned kind, not a chain location) or to a busy Batteries Plus franchise store. Jewelry stores often replace batteries for free (it's good PR) but if not, a battery store rarely charges more than a few dollars. Chisue, I would try one of those locations for your Seiko watch, they may be able to help you.

My current watch is a modestly priced Swiss Wenger (Wenger formerly made Swiss Army knives too) and it keeps great time. If you've ever been to Switzerland, you'll understand my sentiment that it's no coincidence that the Swiss have a long and storied watch-making tradition.

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

Speaking of Rolex watches....I seldom notice things like watches, but a friend of mine had a Rolex Sport...I think that is what the model was...and it was the most beautiful watch. Had a black face and diamonds around the dial. She said if I would sleep with her, I could have the watch....that was many years ago, and no, I didn't do it. We were at a party and she had quite a bit to drink. I did too, but I wasn't that drunk. :D

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Yes, mainly to take a pulse, or count breaths in my old job. Half the rooms didn't have clocks in them so couldn't rely on them to be there. Now that I'm in telephone care I keep wearing it but wondered last night why since I hardly look at it. Staring at my computer waiting on a call it is really unnecessary. I do like to have it on when I go to the movies so I can check the time.

• lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Yes, I wear my watch all of the time, except when in the shower. Good watches never lasted. Now I buy the cheap ones at Michaels and they last a long time.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Yes, Elmer, I agree with you on going to a local jewelry store for battery replacement. Most of the time that's the way to go if you have an unusual watch. I don't even know anyone in our fair-sized city who sells Baume and Mercier. I didn't even buy it here. But I've always been able to get the battery replaced at one of my favorite local stores. DH is the same. He has a couple of nice watches I've given him (one is a Swiss Wenger) but wears a Fitbit most days.

BTW, I just bought him a new Fitbit Blaze for his birthday. He loves it. It has an analog-style clock readout on the home screen and really looks nice on him. For those interested in a more manly looking style watch in the large size, check it out. It can be found for a cheaper price or on sale just about anywhere.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

My everyday watch is a Swiss Army that I bought at Sam's many years ago. I still love it.

• sprtphntc7a
    6 years ago

yes, for when i go out., not every day. my current favorite brands are Fossil & Coach. both can be had at TJMaxx and Marshall's.

• gyr_falcon
    6 years ago

When leaving the house, I wear a waterproof Timex sports watch--nothing fancy. Unfortunately, after replacing the batteries (at a jeweler), they are often no longer completely waterproof. The batteries last for many years, so next time I will just replace the watch. I have a fancier watch, but the face is small and difficult to read. I wear it so infrequently, that if I want to use it, I have to get a new battery installed first.

• chisue
    6 years ago

I only WISH I could get my Seiko Lasalle to work again, but the batteries are no longer made. No love on this from Seiko. I still have the watch and the brown 'velvet' case (E-BM96 Made in Japan) .

I remember someone else on the KT had one of these, too.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

chisue, have you tried getting one from places other than Seiko? Style changes and discontinuances of models are a constant for watchmakers and they don't support everything forever. But the after-market will often continue availability long after the manufacturers stop.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

I never wore a watch when watches were in. I never had a need to have to know the time all the time.

Sue

• chisue
    6 years ago

Elmer -- This Seiko Lasalle isn't *valuable*; just base metal (gold tone). It is sooo thin that I doubt there's a battery around today that would power it -- or power it for long. I find some similar Lasalle's on E-Bay, none of them working. I'd need a jeweler to open the back and peek at the battery.

Maybe the day of the clunky watch will end, and enough people will want a 'vintage' one that works!

When my mother and I visited Switzerland decades ago, I begged for a 'ring watch' -- cheap gimmick that only a young teen would want. A few months later, I forgot I was wearing it when I got into the bathtub. Wah!

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

" I never had a need to have to know the time......."

This is an interesting comment, marilyn sue, one I've never heard anyone say before. The reasons why don't matter, best wishes all the same.

-------------------------------------------------------

chisue, it's your decision to make but if you don't try or ask, you'll never know.

• chisue
    6 years ago

I could at least spell the name right: Lassale -- Not Lasalle. (Weird, though, huh?)

• User
    6 years ago

I will not be without a watch on.

• nickel_kg
    6 years ago

I quit wearing a watch maybe 10 or 15 years ago ... whenever it was that computers on everyone's desk and all the conference rooms always displayed the time, and car clocks became reliable. Before that, I wore the cheapest Timex available. I liked slip-on bands.

• Lindsey_CA
    6 years ago

"... computers on everyone's desk and all the conference rooms always displayed the time, and car clocks became reliable."

(1) If the work computer is on a network (which it most likely is), the network admins can apply a policy to either (a) have all computer clocks display the exact same time -- which may or may not be accurate :-) or (b) not have the computers display the time at all. The ability for individuals to change the time/date on their computer can be completely disabled.

(2) Not all conference rooms have clocks, and even those that do have clocks do not always (in fact, rarely) have them placed so that the majority of folks can see the clock during the meetings. And not everyone is inside a conference/meeting room on a daily basis, much less several times during the same day.

(3) My Lexus has a beautiful analog clock which keeps impeccable time, but that is only a benefit to me when I am inside the car, and I'm not in the car 24/7 to take advantage of that clock.

• User
    6 years ago

Okay, so I did it: I bought my Apple Watch Series 2 last night. I can now take calls on my wrist like Dick Tracy. And I can see my iMessages and respond to them from my wrist. It'll come in handy at work. I will leave my phone near my work station and not in my pocket. :)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    6 years ago

Yes, always wear it when I leave the house for style and time too. Since I am not much of a cell phone user, I never think of it as a time device--easier to look at my watch.

• caseynfld
    6 years ago

I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years.

• Marcy
    6 years ago

I love my Fossil and wear it often.

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

I do, always. Force of habit, even though I carry a cell phone now. I guess I'm just of "that generation." I have two cheapo Timex watches with expandable bands that I can just slip on: one silver, one gold.

• joyfulguy
    6 years ago

I've worn a watch since I was grown up: don't remember the circumstances when I got my first one.

En route home on furlough from my mission in Korea in 1957, I attended a conference near Geneva, Switzerland and came to know a young woman who worked in the World Council of Churches office there. She'd worked with a manufacturer of watches earlier and took me there to buy one. The name was "Jeanrichard" and as father's name was "Richard" and stepmother's "Jean" I was pleased. Dad didn't want the second that I bought: he, who always wore a watch, had one that pleased him ... but my youngest brother, also named "Richard" did, so he was pleased with it.

A feature that they offered was that they needed no winding or batteries: there was a lever inside that wound their spring as one moved one's hands. I guess there was adequate storage, as they never lost time while one slept ... don't know if we ever let one sit still for an extended period to find out how long they kept the time.

Don't recall how long it lasted: several years. I've had several since, usually Timex, and it's hard to find local watch repair places, to get the batteries replaced. My second last, the watch guy told me when it stopped not to replace the battery, as the insides were plastic and so badly worn that they weren't worth the cost of a battery.

Daughter recently sent me her second gift of an Indiglo Timex, that lights up with the push of the crown to show the time in the dark ... and this frugal fella shed a couple of tears when viewing the postage fee of $U.S. 15.50 (about Cdn$20.00).

ole joyful

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My issue with an Apple watch would be that I would need to put my readers on to see anything.

• cacocobird
    6 years ago

Since I retired, I've only worn a watch when I had to be somewhere at a specific time. Don't need one at home -- have clocks all over the place.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz