everyday and especially mascara.

Is there a way to brighten up 50+ eyes w/out

using mascara? Is there some rules about make-up

that 50+ women should follow..I need help and

honest answers. Thanks friends.

Comments (51)

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I'm almost 63 (in a few days) I never leave the house without my make up. I always wear mascara....why not? I don't put it on clumpy. I've never liked seeing that.

I do like to wear an eye shadow...but light. I don't mean in color but just not a lot.

I always wear a bit of blush...blended the best I can. I used to have an aunt that wore blush in a little red circle...she looked like a clown.

I'm not to big on lipstick..but I have started wearing just a little. I think when you get a little older you need a bit of color...everything else just goes blah....

I try not to get as much sun as I used to but I can't seem to stay away from it...I just don't bake like I did when I was younger.

I may not look as good as I feel when I have my makeup on....But I KNOW I don't look as bad as I could...LOL

My cousin is 77 and she never leaves the house without her's either...and she is still looking good...except shes lost a lot of weight and it makes her look older.
    But she still looks nice in a pair of jeans...hehe..

patti

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

Magic...you like the new brushes...I've never tried them.

Do any of them have waterproof mascara?

I hate the kind that smears and runs.

I'll have to give one a try.

patti

• Related Discussions

Tubular mascara

Q

Comments (12)
    Wow! I used the Blinc mascara yesterday for the first time. The only problem I had using it is that if you curl your eyelashes (and I do) you have to do that before you put mascara on, which is the opposite of my normal routine. The only problem with that is that the lashes are closer to my lids then and I got a little bit of mascara on my lid. But a wet swab cleaned it up with no smearing. Sometime during the day I totally forgot that I was wearing the new mascara, so I forgot to check before I went to bed to see if the claim that it stays put with no smearing was accurate. And I'm a bad girl - I often go to bed with my makeup on, which I did last night. I wash my face first thing every morning, even before I shower (helps wake me up). Well, after I washed (still not remembering I had used the Blinc) when I looked at the towel I saw a couple of black squigglies and I remembered the Blinc. So I washed my face again, lightly rubbing my fingers across my lashes. Like magic, the tubes all came off and there was no residual smudges you sometimes get with regular mascara. Jamies, you don't "pull" on your lashes at all, so there is no worry about losing lashes. I think I'm going to like this product.
    ...See More

Waterproof Mascara?

Q

Comments (12)
    My daughter swears by the Chanel Imitable waterproof mascara over MAC primer. She was in accident end of Feb, in ICU for 4 days, had surgery for broken neck, in all of that she had to remove the mascara on 5th day. Everyone kept remarking that she must have awesome mascara because her lashes were just as gorgeous after several days as they were the first night. She could barely talk at times, but would mumble "Chanel waterproof and MAC primer..." I can't wait to try it!
    ...See More

Can we talk about mascaras??

Q

Comments (46)
    I have to say that I'm loving the Elizabeth Mott mascara! It goes on nicely with no clumps, doesn't smudge or flake and removes as easily and cleanly as the tubing mascaras. My daughter gave me some Younique for Christmas last year. You can get a nice effect with it, but it's so many steps for every day wear. And you can get little flakes on your cheeks throughout the day.
    ...See More

My new mascara was all dried up

Q

Comments (12)
    Since I am not wearing much mascara, I asked for sample sized mascaras when I placed an order for some moisturizers and other skin care products. I use those now instead of the large size and they were free. Plus I have been able to try out several new mascaras in the process. My lashes are thin so I do like to swipe on a little sometimes before I go to the store. I always throw out mascara frequently as I don’t like to keep it on hand.
    ...See More
  • golfergrrl
    16 years ago

Everyday? Don't wear it any day.
    Don't wear make-up.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

You might try smudging a bit of eyeliner pencil at the lash line of the outer corners of your eyes. Top, bottom or both, depending on your eyes.

I'm in my 50s and still wear mascara daily. I use a sheer moisturizing foundation (Clinique), a touch of powder blush and some light-toned lip gloss.

It doesn't look like a lot of makeup, but without anything I look washed-out.

• wildchild
    16 years ago

Patti I like the Covergirl Lash Exact ones. They have a waterproof one as well as the regular. The Volume Exact one has the new brush too. I like the regular one for everyday, the waterproof for more active times and the volume one for night.

I think most companies have the new brush. It's just that I like Covergirl mascaras best. I don't like their eyeshadows at all though.

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

Not every day but always when I go out. I feel neeked without my mascara.A few months ago I left the house and remembered when I got to Wal-Mart that I had forgotten to put on my mascara.We were going other places when we left there so I bought a new tube and applied it in the car!LOL
    I like the new brushes too.I think because they are flexible and the mascara goes on smoother.Not as many clumps. I never leave the house without makeup.I need all the help I can get nowdays!LOL Up until a few years ago I always put my face on every morning.I don't wear makeup at home now unless I am going out or expecting company.Actually I think I should put on makeup every day because when I did I took better care of my skin.If I have makeup on I'm more conscious of cleaning and moisturizing every day.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

I seem to have an allergy to mascara these past 8 years or so. As a result, I tend to use only eye liner.

• Linda Wayman
    16 years ago

I quit wearing mascara years ago. Where I worked it was hot and dusty in the summer time. Between sweat and dust it wasn't a pretty sight. It's been so long that I haven't even thought about wearing it now, but if I leave home today I might just go shopping for some.

Linda

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

This is a nice look for someone over 50.

Here is a link that might be useful: over 50 makeup

• hounds_x_two
    16 years ago

I wear it...never black, but dark brown.

If your eyelids are a bit droopy or crepey, avoid shiny shadows.

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

Yep, I put it on in the morning, before I leave the house. I have changed colors thou. I read somewhere that woman over 50 should start wearing brown colored mascara. It gives the eyes a softer look, not as harsh as the black color. I also put on either lip balm or a light colored lipstick. To keep them moisturized in this cold weather. NancyLouise

• wanda_illinois
    16 years ago

I never leave home without a little makeup and mascara.
    I use the bare essentials mineral makeup.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

organic donna - what a clever idea!!!That was a great link and the over 50 make up suggestions are so stylish. I just don't think I can handle the long hair. I see myself more as the Tammy Faye Baker type - you know, shorter hair with fake eyelashes and mascara to match.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

I most always wear mascara - brown - on the top lashes only. I sometimes use a liner pencil (dark olive color) on my lower lash line and smudge it in well. I use the Bare Essenctuals mineral makeup only - foundation and blush. Very natural looking. For lips I use either a lip balm or a very sheer tinted lip gloss. Maybelline's Shiny-licious is my favorite. The color is called "Jam 'n Jelly" and is a very pale mauve color. That is my entire makeup program and it takes about 5 minutes to apply in the morning. Lasts all day - except for the lips - I touch them up a few times during the day.

~Betsy

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Just lipstick for me. I've been blessed with great skin...must be in the genes ;o) I think many times make-up tends to make certain women look older. I also don't color my hair because after a certain age folks know your hair is colored and you're not foolin' anyone LOL. Salt and pepper power!

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

I'm 52 and it's a rare occasion when I will leave the house without at least some makeup on. I've never made it a habit to wear foundation, though. I've gone through periods when I think I should (uneven skin tones), so I'll buy some, wear it a couple of days, then quit. Don't like the way it feels, and subconsciously I feel as if I'm wearing a mask. But liner and mascara EVERY day. Sometimes shadow. Occasionally lipstick.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

I only put on makeup if I'm going somewhere. If I run to the grocery store, I don't bother. I use a moisturizer, then a liquid foundation by Clinique, mascara by Elizabeth Arden, and a lip gloss. Sometimes blush, sometimes not. I used to have a problem with mascara, until I found out it was the fibers (for making the lashes longer) that irritated my eyes. I use a brown/black.
    Leslie

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

sheila joyce,

I too have problems with mascara. I sneeze the minute I put it on. LOL!

I don't put on make-up unless I'm leaving the house. I usually scrub the make-up off the minute I get home.

Gayle

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

If you guys says so, but Donatella Versace looks horrid to me.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

LOL, I thought the link was a mistake. I was looking for some good tips.
    Leslie

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

me too...lol...I was going to ask donna ....if that was a joke...

I don't look like I want to look...but I sure don't want to look like that...before or after...LOLOL

patti

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

mrsmarv....it's not always true that if your hair is dark that it's dyed.

There is a lady at our church that has never dyed her hair..she is in her 70 and yes she has a gray or two poked in there but 99% or more is dark hair.

And my husband is 66 and he has some graying but when you see him , you see a guy with dark hair...and a lot of it. He's always had real thick hair.

I keep telling him if he goes first, I'm using the insurance money to have his hair transplanted to me...and bury him in a cardboard box..hehe

• linda_in_iowa
    16 years ago

I, too, thought the link was a joke. I wouldn't want to look over madeup like she does.
    I wear Almay brown mascara when I go out. Don't wear any makeup around the house. If I am going to the grocery store, I put on a little blush and liptstick.

• patti43
    16 years ago

I'm 64 and I don't color my hair. I have a few grays but since my hair is naturally many colors--light brown, some blond and some reddish they just sort of blend in. When the time comes, I sure will color it.

I don't wear makeup at home but always if we go out--even to the grocery. I need it 'cause I look washed out and have no eyes without the mascara!

• summer_tx
    16 years ago

I'm 61 and still use eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara when I go out. Sometimes just here at home when I get tired of passing a mirror and wondering who that tired old hag is in my house. LOL I use a brown/cinnamon colored shadow, dark brown liner and black mascara. So far, I feel I can pull it off. I may go to lighter colors as I get older tho. I never go out in public without makeup. I just can't be comfortable bare. I don't have the complexion for it.

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

Just about! I won't leave the house without it cuz it would scare the crap outta people.

• susan_on
    16 years ago

I use liner every day, but mascara only rarely. I don't even have bottom lashes..I don't know why. I also use eyeshadow, blush and sometimes lipstick.

• angelaid
    16 years ago

I'm 47. No makeup here and don't dye my hair. What you see is what you get. (Might be kinda scary first thing in the morning)
    And, I agree, that Donatella looks horrid!

• kim_okla
    16 years ago

I can't anymore. The last thing I want to do is emphasize the bags under my eye. I have the top lid hanging over and bagging underneath.

I'm about this close to calling someone. :-)

• mcmann
    16 years ago

I didn't think donna was serious - I'm sure she was just being humorous. And please don't think I want to resemble Tammy Faye - just thinking about her drippy mascara makes me shiver.

But I do wear mascara every day, that's the only way you can tell I have eyelashes. No lipstick, just Burt's Bee's lip gloss.

• heather_on
    16 years ago

I'm not a makeup kind of a gal. What you see is what you get. Never did like the artificial look of makeup on people's faces.

• DYH
    16 years ago

When I retired, I "weaned" myself off of make-up! I used to wear it all -- foundation, concealer, powder, blush, eyeliner, eye shadow, brow gel, lipstick, mascara.

Now, I'm down to a dab of undereye concealer, powder brush foundation and mascara. I do wear a neutral tone moisturizing lipstick that puts just a tad of color on my lips.

I'm yet to be totally pleased with a powder foundation, but I may try Bare Minerals next.

• alisande
    16 years ago

I never wear mascara because I don't like the way it feels on me. I like the look, but I haven't worn it since I was in my twenties.

Funny thing about lipstick.......I would never go anywhere without it, but as soon as I come home--like the minute I walk through the door--it feels heavy and uncomfortable on my lips, and I take it off immediately. Same thing with my watch. Although I don't wear the watch on my lips. :-)

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Pattico ~ I didn't mention dark hair in particular. There are women (and some men, too) whose hair looks obviously dyed because their hair color is very unnatural looking with their skin. Or there are those where you can see the gray roots alot and it's a striking difference between the gray and the dyed color. As you age your skin changes tone and color. Some folks keep dyeing their hair the color it was when they were younger and it looks unnatural. At least to me ;o)
    I'm one of those folks who embrace gray hair and the force of gravity LOL.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Wear it every single day, even when I go nowhere, which is rare.

• linda_in_iowa
    16 years ago

Thanks to this post I just tossed my old mascara and bought a new dark brown one. Also bought a light brown eyebrow pencil and a pretty Copperglow Berry lipstick.

• cheryl_ok
    16 years ago

Every morning, no matter what, eye liner and shadow...If working in public or going out I will add the foundation and mascara. I have been blessed with dark long lashes so don't worry too much on that point.

Now I'm wondering...I'm 53, should I not be wearing black eyeliner and mascara?
    Also don't color my hair, stopped that decades ago and still wear it long. I'm always told I have pretty hair. Dishwater blonde with white, (my mom and grandma never grayed either, just turned white)! Will dark brown eyeliner and mascara look better?

• frostydays
    16 years ago

Im 52 but stopped wearing mascara....I like to wear make up but cant deal with it anymore.

Foe my eyes I wear eye shadow and eye liner instead...and I curl my lashes.

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

I wouldn't step foot outside the house without all my makeup! LOL I don't wear it at home though.

One time we were traveling in India and were going to the Taj Mahal. For some reason I decided not to wear makeup that day. My reasoning was that it was hot, dirty and there wouldn't be anyone that I'd know there so I went bare faced. Now I could kick myself when I see all the pics we took that day and I look awful.

• lunchlady1948
    16 years ago

I hardly ever wore make up as a young person, since I have been watching What Not to wear I do the five minute make up and love it almost all Clinque stuff. I never feel made up but feel I do look better and the make up now days is so light you can feel it on you at all. I do not do this everyday but wish I would.

• nannc
    16 years ago

Only if I'm leaving the house for any reason. Without mascara I have no eyelashes, and, like my mother used to say, my eyes look like two burned holes in a blanket. The lashes are long enough, but sparse and pale. When in my "glam" phase (in the late 60's) I even wore false lashes! Couldn't get away with it now! Eyeliner is a must, and some subtle shadow, if I want to look reasonably good, and full makeup is when I want to impress someone. Not sure it it works.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

I think makeup is MORE important now that I am over 50. I don't overdo it but I use a yellow based concealer under my eyes, beige eyeshadow, dark brown mascara, blush, and powder. I curl my lashes and wear lipstick when I go out.

Why would someone stop wearing mascara when they are over 50? I don't understand it.

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

I don't wear make up very much any more. When I do it is lipstick, blush and mascara. I thought the Donatella link was a joke. I think she looks horrible.

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

I haven't worn make up for so long that I don't even own any dried up make up, lol.

Here's a short skit of Donatella from Saturday Night Live greeting trick or treaters. The SNL character is hilarious and over the top, probably just like the real Donatella. Maya Rudolph plays the character. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Donatella skit on SNL

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

Good morning,
    Yes, the Donnatella link was supposed to be funny. I do have some tips for over 50 makeup of my own. The number one ager is too thin eyebrows, you know the ones that are all pencil. Another is either too dark or too bleached hair. If you have thin lips, wear a shade that is the closest to the skin inside your mouth. A soft pink but not too bright. Wearing dark lipstick and lining lips makes you look older. Unless of course if you still have full lips. Lastly, go easy on eyeshadow. Too much just draws people to the ageing eyelid.

Is everyone over 50 adequately depressed now?

Donna

• chessy
    16 years ago

I saw a plastic surgeon on tv in an interview. He said women would look much better if they didn't use eyeliner on the bottom eyelid (upper eyelid ok), and that was advice he gave many women who came to him for eyelid surgery. Don't accentuate anything below the eye. That's my tip to share!

• lindyluwho
    16 years ago

I always wear makeup to work, but not always on the weekend. I never wear mascara. I really hate the way it feels on my eyes.

Linda

• kickypants
    16 years ago

Oh please tell me that the Donatella Versace link was a joke!! She's always looked like a drag queen to me.

• grinch_gut
    16 years ago

I used to wear it everyday but since I "retired" I don't...in the winter I ususally do everyday but not the summer time if I Have yard work to do and when don't I have yard work in the summer...so I just keep my face protected and if we go out to dinner wear makeup then...STacy

• rosemaryt
    16 years ago

Wanna never wear Mascara again? Look up the words 'Lash Lure' on google. In 1933, a woman named Mrs. Brown had her mascara professionally applied at a beauty shop. It didn't go well for her.

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info on cosmetics