SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Any Florida composters here? Beach sand soil?

jane__ny
6 years ago

We moved to Florida from NY and are so outside our element where gardening is concerned. I had huge beds, large compost piles and the most beautiful, healthy soil in NY. My husband and I had the healthiest garden beds without the use of any chemical fertilizers or pesticides.Hubby had rose beds, I had large vegetable gardens, flower beds and wildflower areas.

We retired to Florida almost 5 years ago and I have tried desperately to amend what is pure sand. The climate is so hot and humid, extremely dry winters with no rainfall and then downpours during summer which literally flood the streets and roads.

The insect population is off the wall as are the weeds. I never saw such weed growth even with heavy mulching. Composting is tricky because of the heat and fungal problems. I find material breaks down so quickly. Wood mulches last for only a few months and break down so fast.

I've been mulching, composting and then covering the soil with pine bark, newspapers, cardboard boxes or leaves to try to maintain moisture. I notice I get a nice, thin layer of black soil on top of the sand but it seems to dissolve into the sand and wash away.The sand doesn't hold moisture or nutrients.

I'd love to hear from any Florida composers and how they maintain their beds and what works for them. I am actually getting depressed over trying to garden here. The sun, heat and humdity makes it so difficult to grow anything. The heat and sun is oppressive.

Sorry for this long post. I'm so discouraged.

Jane

Comments (10)