SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

A new home near the beach... a new challenge... sand

Lcgrace Mahoney
11 years ago

We moved to Delaware from NE PA 7 months ago in the heat of the summer. Our yard is white sand with sprigs of grass and a few weeds. Our home is a new construction & a new neighborhood. I'd love to add flower beds and a few veggie beds on a smaller scale to see how different things will grow here.

If we would LOVE a lush green lawn, an irrigation system would be a must. Our sandy soil dries out completely and becomes very hard in the summer.

I've started with mixing in a few bags of aged compost and leftover potting soil in the front flower bed while planting spring bulbs. I've started preparing a lettuce bed on the side of the house... morning sun but will be a bit shaded by afternoon. I've been digging small trenches and putting kitchen scraps & coffee in and covering it over to let it "cook" have it be mixed well. I also want to add in mixture of compost, aged manure, etc.

Does anyone have advice on what I should use and the technique for a larger scale? Simply buy bags and dig & mix it in? I don't want the surrounding sandy areas to suck the moisture out of my planting beds... so I'm thinking that ground level beds would be safer than raised?

So many questions! :) In Pennsylvania, my worries were too many rocks! What a difference it is here! I can't wait to meet others from Delaware but it seems my "Mid-Atlantic" forum is still in hibernating!

Comments (8)