SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasmyn_kim

How to clean salt from beach sand to use in a “gritty mix”?

Jasmyn Kim
3 years ago

I live in what used to be the bottom of a brackish pond that was drained in the 1950’s and developed into a suburb. My soil is insane levels of clay. In the national soil survey map, the soil on my street doesn’t even have a name, it’s just “fill land” or something. I digress.

In the area that the pond once fed to the sea, there is now a lot of rocky sand. It looks like mostly old coral, shell fragments, dirt, some basic grey rock, & some teal colored rock. Not sure if this was brought here as the “fill land” or if it’s naturaly occurring sand. But it looks perfect to use for “gritty mix“!

I have to DIY the mix as it’s too expensive to ship to Hawaii, & i haven’t seen anything comparable at our plant nursery or Home Depot. I also can’t find pumice or anything like that anywhere. All I have found for sale are perlite, sandbox sand, & expensive aquarium gravel. I couldnt find any non-coastal/inland coarse sand, probably cuz I live on an island?

Any ideas on the best way to wash the sand to desalinate it and make it usable for planting?

Comments (6)