SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrv9815

Front door - Craftsman trim or not with a stone entry?

L V
6 years ago

We're building a craftsman style exterior with the typical white craftsman window/door trim. Will be dark gray siding with about 3' wainscot of stone around bottom of the front. I'd always pictured and pinned many pictures of the front door with the same wide craftsman styles trim - to pop against the stained door and siding. But LATER in the process we decided to stone the whole porch including front door/entry area - on both sides of and above door; not just a short wainscot. The builder says that with stone, they usually just stick with the brickmould around the doors and windows. It's less common and more difficult to stone around actual trim. I'm finding this true in photo searches also. Most of my favorite trimmed doors are against siding, not stone. Is the "extra" craftsman trim unnecessary with stone around the door? I'm also considering dropping the stone here to shorter wainscot height (same as garage and elsewhere), and doing siding above that and around the door, so that the white craftsman door trim would be siding instead of stone. Advice/opinions?

Comments (7)