SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carnivore

Front entry door - Craftsman dentil shelf?

carnivore
10 years ago

We have a 1927 Dutch colonial revival house with a gambrel roof as pictured. We're preparing to update the front entry and I'm thinking of going with a Craftsman style door with 6 lites. Some manufacturers produce this type of door with an optional dentil shelf which leads me to a few questions:

- Is the craftsman style door historically correct on this style of house to begin with?

- If the door style is correct, is the dentil shelf option correct?

- If the dentil shelf is installed, is it customary to install a decorative door knocker under the shelf? Or is that never done, or simply optional?

- Depending on the manufacturer, I've seen these doors configured with either 2 or 3 solid vertical panels under the window (and shelf). Other than personal preference, is there any reason to favor one of those configurations over the other, especially as it relates to the style and age of the house.

The house already has some modern updates such as newer vinyl windows and mid-century fiber siding so it's never going to be a 100% authentic preservation at this point, but I'd still like to understand the architecture so we can retain the right kind of character in general.

Comment (1)