SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renee1530

Help! Can changing out tub trim be fixed?!

MR
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help! My husband and I are nearing the very end of our gut rehab. We splurged on the Kohler Purist shower and tub fixtures in Moderne Brushed Gold, pricey but so pretty! When it came to the tub trim and rough-in part, we texted a picture of the kohler pipe piece/trim to the GC and said "do you need us to bring this down to the apartment for the plumber" (we are renting an apartment one floor above our reno). The GC replied, "no, this piece is universal, plumber will provide"

Ughh cut to now, and it is NOT universal. The plumber installed a gerber tub drain in the wall thus now creating gerber tub trim, in chrome. Which of course, I am being told is not compatible to the Kohler pieces, as in we cannot swap out the overflow plate and the toe tap trim to match the Kohler Moderne Brushed Gold finish. The GC is saying that they cannot fix this without breaking down the wall of the bathroom (which is already tiled and done) and possibly the neighboring wall which is the kitchen, again countertops, cabinets, everything done. The back wall of the tub is the exterior to the building so no go there.

My question is this - is what he telling me even true? Or is he just saying this to not do the work? Are there any alternatives here to get the kohler purist pieces on there? I don't have any time left on the project, in a coop and our schedule is pretty much up to be done. Do I insist he correct this even if it means breaking down the wall? And if so, how much time would that really take? I have a feeling he would tell me it would take more time than it may be so I don't insist upon this.

Comments (7)