SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benita_carvalho

Installing washer (clothes) in new location and PIPE size problem

Jade BR
7 years ago

We are doing a kitchen renovation and as part of it, moving our washer/dryer out of powder room to a closet inside the new kitchen/breakfast area.

In that same wall we will also have a reach in pantry closet.

The total length of space available for both things, stacked washer/dryer and shelving for pantry is 8 ft.

The problem: architect said the current drain or pipe for drain (I am horrible at this, sorry!) size is 2" and, per code, the washer must connect to a 3" drain.

So, architect wants to put in a laundry sink by the washer/dryer to avoid this issue all together.

Contractor says he can change pipe size if needed and came out with this plan:

1) Drop a 2" or 3" pipe from sink wall to the floor level in new Kitchen into ceiling inside closet in basement guest room;

2) Bring a joint to the TV room wall in basement and bring pipe down inside the wall behind the TV to floor level (basement);

3) Break concrete slab in basement floor to access basement drain inside the bathroom (basement bathroom);

4) Bring 3" laundry pipe inside the wall to basement floor;

5) Connect both pipes drain from Kitchen and from laundry to the drain at the basement floor.

Does this plan make sense? I am asking here to avoid a back and forth with the architect because I pay him per hour and my architect budget is all gone already. From experience I know how easy it is to drop $500 with back and forth e-mails and phone calls and I have to avoid this at this point.

I just want to send a reasonable plan for my architect.

Thanks for any help. I live in VA if it makes any difference.

Comments (8)