SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenaj_gw

Washer/Dryer Problem in Bathroom Remodel

karenaj
15 years ago

Hello: Hopefully someone can help me with this situation. I live in a 1 bed/1 bath condo in Los Angeles without a laundry hook up. I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. When talking to various contractors, I spoke about wanting to hook up a washer/dryer combo in the bathroom area. They had this suggestion that I put the unit in a front hall closet that backed up to the shower area & then piped it from there. I was not really sold on the idea, but decided to go for it & do it right with getting a new Bosch Axxis washer & dryer set. My contractor does everything by the book & pulled a permit on the job (big mistake in LA for something like this remodel as I have been without a shower to use for almost a month!!). When the plumbing inspector came out, he said he would never approved of a washer & dryer in the unit cause I do not have 2 inch piping to support the washer. Here is my question to you all out there:

1. Is there anyone out there that has put this unit into a apartment/condo that had a 1 1/2 inch pipe to drain the water.

2. If so, have you had any problems.

I know that the law requires a 2 inch pipe for a washer, but these are supposed to be for situations like mine since they don't use as much water.

Bosch is NO help with all of this after calling a few times. They said they will never give out a minimum requirement due to being liable if something happens.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get around this, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to cancel the order. Everyone told me to just get the shower passed in the inspection, they repipe in the washer & dryer after the inspector leaves.

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Comments (7)