SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mynovahome

Input on master bathroom remodel (adding washer/dryer)

mynovahome
3 years ago

We are preparing to start a master bathroom remodel and I thought I'd share my plan with the 'experts' hear to see if you have any suggestions or advice.

We currently have a large garden tub in the center of our bathroom that we do not use. We also have our laundry located in our basement (master and all bedrooms are on 2nd floor of house) and are tired of hauling laundry up and down two flights. The vision is to rip out garden tub (we do have another tub in the upstairs guest/children's bath) and replace with a large, walk in shower. Then we will put a full size stacked washer and dryer where the old shower was (behind a door - mirroring the potty room on the other side of the shower). We will also keep the basement laundry room for teen/guest use.

My plans are below. I'm planning to put a long bench across the back wall of the shower and we'll replace the window in that space with a vinyl, picture window (this is three floors up and backs to woods).

Any suggestions or things I should be sure to note/consider as I begin speaking to contractors? I know I'll need to make sure the window is well water-proofed and we'll put a drain pan under the washer/dryer. (That washer/dryer space is on two outside walls).

One question about the shower door... I like the look of having the door open in the middle but normally we like to reach in and turn the shower on to let it heat up before stepping inside. I'm thinking that would necessitate the door being a bit off center.

I know having a washer/dryer in a bathroom isn't the 'norm' but we think this will work really well for us and there's not another place upstairs to put it. We plan to be in this home for another 15-20 years and I figure if we're worried it doesn't show well for resell, we could always turn the space into a linen closet.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz