SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_knapp71

internal insulation damp 1930s house in belgium

sarah_knapp71
7 years ago

Hello...I'm a gardenweb & renovation newbie, looking for advice.

I've been camping in my 1930s terraced home since february, stripping everything back.

State of house when I bought it: mouldy crumbling plaster and icy cold damp walls due to leaky windows, vinyl wallpaper and plastic panelling, leaky guttering and chimney, damp rising through floor - in combination with no heating (still no heating btw). House has ventilation via all the gaps under doors, around current windows, through chimney and roof.

Construction: solid but thin walls (outer layer 20cm brick with inner layer (no gap) of 10cm brick. Sand floor with tiles on top. Half a metre of cement render on outside wall. Ground height outside house not too high. Neighbours houses: one in a worse state than my own, the other insulated in every way possible with a bad case of mould through the condensation. Which is why I don't want to do the same. And a dog that barks 60% of the day.

Electrics are done. Having a new roof done in the summer as well as replacing single glass with wooden framed double glazing with trickle vents.

Heating will be: one built in gas hearth downstairs (is a regular 2 up 2 down with large attic space; kitchen and bathroom are in the extension), infra red panel in bathroom. Am used to lower temps, so thats all I need.

Using gas to heat water and the built in hearth. Don't have the time or storage for wood burning. Small household, so footprint won't be horrific.

Plan: bathroom in one of the 2 bedrooms upstairs and utilise loft space as second (and maybe third) bedroom.

1950s extension will be a future project. Is falling apart.

So, this question is about keeping the inner (and outer) walls dry, well ventilated and looking good, at the same time keeping energy use as low as I can. And all on as low a budget as possible! I'm not asking much!

I need to keep this house ventilated. Everything has to breathe. Whether you agree or not, I refuse to have wall injections or anything that will compromise ventilation or 'control' moisture levels. There IS damp. I need to let it escape, not stop it. But how do I keep the heat (sorry, the 'eventual' heat) in and dry the place out? And keep it dry enough so that the house does not stay so cold, there is no mould, and the plasterwork won't fall off?

I now have bare brick inner walls drying out. What can I cover them with to keep my heating costs lower and limit neighbour and street noise? Method should be relatively cheap, aesthetic (plaster finish (lime?)) and prevent damp build up or block the movement of water from brick to air. I imagine once the place is heated, much of the humidity will disappear and together with roof, guttering and windows alot of water won't be coming in any more.

Please don't tell me I'm being an idiot and should inject the walls. I won't be doing that. Call it a gut feeling. And external insulation is not an option, although I might have to repoint the original mortar - again, with a 'breathable' mortar.

It's not my intention to have a passive home. But I do want to make my home as low energy as I possibly can within a budget.

So - how do I best insulate a damp older home against heat loss and noise? And whats the best (and cheapest) option for a nice smooth wall finish I can paint with breathable paint?

Soory about the word count!

Thank you all!

Sarah.

Comments (12)