SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tommy5060

Waterproofing cinderblock homes

tommy5060
11 years ago

I watched this interesting video made in th2 1930's on how to build a Brickhouse from the ground up (seen here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEL3K45yWUw
and they install something called a damp course which is basically a strip of tar paper on the second or third brick up. My question is twofold. I'm wondering do they use a damp course on cinder block or concrete houses? I would also wonder because a lot of concrete and cinder block houses are only one course of cinder blocks and in that video There is two courses of brick wall with a one-inch gap for moisture to evaporate.

It seems like in the cinder block houses because they are only one course of cinder blocks that moisture would come in sideways through the wall when it rains, especially in a place like Miami, where it rains a lot and most houses are cinder block. I would think it would be enough moisture to make the wood furring strips used to attack the drywall moldy. If you watch that youtube video it will make much more sense. You can skip to 2:29 and it shows what I'm talking about

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH