SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polican

Wierd Floor Structure in CinderBlock home: Need to connect crawlspaces

polican
2 years ago

I live in a 1940's cinderblock ranch home in climate zone 5B Colorado. My home is built rather peculiarly.

Normal 1 story house you would have your below grade footers and built up crawlspace for your foundation, followed by your sill plate, Rim joist and floor joists resting on top of said foundation.

My house is build as shown below, which is every single wall exterior and interior wall are build out of small cinder blocks, extending from below grade like you would expect, all the way up to my ceiling / roof, with windows and doors framed out.

There are no stick-framed walls anywhere in my home.

As seen above each room is its own fully enclosed space, with each room being its own box. This results in every room (This includes Closets/ bathrooms etc) having its own independent unvented crawlspace. To further complicate matters, my floors are in no way connected to any wall.

The floors are built with 2x8 rough-sawn joists placed 16" on center, but instead of resting on a sill plate, they are stacked on loose leftover cinder blocks and bits of wood piled up inside of each crawlspace next to the wall. Does this method have a name?

Now to my question(s). I am in the beginning a pretty extensive remodel, and i want to replace my perimeter hydronic baseboards with radiator heating, which would need the required piping to run through the crawlspaces. While i'm down there i intend to properly insulate and vapor seal each crawlspace. The problem is getting under each room to do this work. Some of my rooms have nice original hardwood, which in an effort to save money i would like to keep them.

The way I see it i have 2 options, find a starting point ( my small utility room), and then knock a hole in each wall below each doorway, this would interconnect the crawlspaces and let me at least access each room. The issue with this however is that as you can see above, the joists are resting on loose blocks, which are in front of the doorways in some of the rooms depending on the joist orientation. In order to punch a hole under the doorway, i would have to remove the floor support...

Option B is i would have to cut an unsightly access hatch in every single room, which i would like to avoid.

I could possibly locate the access hatches in closets, but the issue still is getting into the main room, which are separated by concrete walls beneath.

So my question to you all is how would you go about getting access and interconnecting my crawlspaces for running my hydronic radiator piping?

Would you affix the floors to the walls in some way?

Comment (1)