SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackinct

When Do I Remove The Insulation

jackinct
15 years ago

Hi, newbie here.

I live in Southern New England, and am in the midst of my first winter with 2 fig trees that I planted in the ground (last May).

I insulated them last fall (they were about 2' high) by taking the largest plastic garbage cans that Home Depot has, cut out the bottoms, put them over the fig trees, and filled them with mulched leaves (mulched via my mulching type lawnmower); I then laid the bottoms that I had cut out on the top, and covered everything with large heavy duty contractor type garbage bags (and secured the bags to the ground with pegs); I then place the lids on top of the garbage bags and put a really heavy paving stone on top of the lid (to keep them from blowing away). If it sounds like I over-engineered this, I probably did.

Now, I would appreciate some help as to just when do I disassemble all of this (it is impossible to take a peek at how they did over the winter without taking the whole assembly apart, and if I did that, I would likely loose a good bit of the mulched leaves). The last frost date is May 1st for my region, and that is pretty accurate, but I wait until the 15th for my veggie garden just to be on the safe side.

And while I am at it, I had 2 figs grow at the very end of the season. And there were attacked by an army of small ants. Anyone know of a earth friendly way of warding off the ants?

Comments (11)