SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Calphalon 12" griddle pan for flour tortillas

Lars/J. Robert Scott
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We went to Target yesterday (I very seldom shop there) because they have a comal pan that I wanted and did buy, but it was only 10½" diameter, and I wanted to make larger flour tortillas for burritos. They also had a Calphalon 12" griddle pan, and so I bought that also, and it worked perfectly for making 11" diameter tortillas. I used a variation of AnnT's tortilla recipe:

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup A/P flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp shortening
1/3 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl, add shortening and mix with a pastry blender. Add water and stir to combine, finish by kneading by hand. Place dough in a plastic bag for 1 hour or more. Divide into three pieces and roll each piece into an 11" diameter circle, using a French tapered rolling pin. Cook over medium-low heat on a preheated pan, turning once. They cook in about 1-2 minutes, less time than it takes me to roll out each piece, and so I cook one while I am rolling out the next one.

This made three tortillas, and so I had one left over after using two of them for our burritos. These are so quick an easy to make that I've decided not to buy flour tortillas any more. Kevin likes the flavor a lot more, and I like the texture much better. I had been making 9" diameter tortillas before because that's the largest size I could cook on my old griddle or skillet, and I'm very happy now to make the size that I want. I'll use the comal pan for when I make corn tortillas.

Comments (10)