SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Ann T, I made your flour tortilla recipe

shambo
13 years ago

I was surprised at how easy they were. For some reason I was always afraid to even try making homemade tortillas but finally got up the nerve today. My husband prefers flour tortillas, but store-bought ones are too high in sodium. This way I can control the sodium content and serve him something he really enjoys.

I have some questions: The recipe I used came from a 2006 Recipe Exchange post. It called for 1 T. to 1/4 C. lard or shortening. I used the full quarter cup of shortening. Have you used less with success? Also, I've seen some recipes that substitute oil? Have you ever tried that? I was thinking that using some olive oil might make a Mediterranean flavored wrap. And, have you ever used another flour (like whole wheat or even masa) for a portion of the full recipe? I was thinking of using perhaps 1/2 - 1 cup of whole wheat flour.

Anyhow, the recipe was great and super easy. I especially like using the food processor for all the blending. For what it's worth, I added two more tablespoons of warm water and let the dough rest an additional 20 minutes after shaping the balls of dough. The recipe is posted below for others who might be interested.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Flour Tortillas

===============

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup lard/shortening

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup warm water (might need a bit more)

Place the flour, salt, baking powder in food processor and pulse to mix. Cut in the shortening and then add the warm water and process to make a soft dough. Dough should be soft but not wet and sticky. Wrap in plastic and let rest for at least 30 minutes.

Divide dough into 10 or 12 pieces and shape into balls. Keep covered.

Roll each ball out into a 7 to 9 inch circle. Dough should be thin.

Cook on a dry hot grill or frying pan on medium heat, turning once. Do not over cook or they will be hard. Butter and roll up and wrap in tea towel to keep warm as you cook the other tortillas.(I place the ones wrapped in the towel in a low 200 oven to keep warm, while I am cooking the rest.)

Comments (4)