SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Ann T, I made your rye bread recipe

shambo
13 years ago

This is the 2nd time I've used the recipe. I tried a couple of others but think this is the best so far. This time instead of making two loaves, I made one loaf and six sandwich buns. The only changes I made were to add 2 tbsp. vital wheat gluten and 1 tbsp. caraway seeds. Next time, I'll use dill seeds for a change of pace. Maybe even add some chopped onion. I made the dough in my bread machine and used the larger amount of water. I think I added about 2-3 additional tablespoons of water too. Because of my husband's salt restricted diet, I used less salt and a bit less yeast.

It's an easy bread to put together, bakes up beautifully, and with the caraway addition, it perks up the low sodium sandwiches I prepare for my husband. In fact, I'm hard cooking eggs for egg salad on rye for lunch today.

Rye Bread

=========

1 1/2 cups rye flour

3 cups bread flour

1/2 cup whole wheat

2 teaspoons yeast

2 to 3 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon molasses

2 tablespoons melted butter

Approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups water

Egg Wash

Stir together all the dry ingredients. Add the molasses, butter and 1 1/4 cups of water. Mix until dough comes together. Add more water if needed. Knead until dough is smooth and supple. Dough should not be too stiff.

Oil a large bowl and roll the dough to coat it with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until double, approximately 1 1/2 hours. Knock dough down, divide in half and form two loaves. Free form or in a loaf pan. Dust the loaves with a little flour and cover with a tea towel.

Heat oven to 350. (Ann's note: This is what the original recipe calls for. But I actually heated it to 500 because I was baking the bread on a stone not in a loaf pan.) Slash loaves and brush with egg wash. Bake on a stone or on a parchment covered baking sheet for approximately 45 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 190.

Comments (20)