SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nevermore44

Random Compost Stuff

Nevermore44 - 6a
7 years ago

Random Compost Stuff….

This past weekend I did the yearly deed of sifting my compost to spread out a nice layer on my veggie gardens. I have a double bin system that is 4x4x3.5ish. I am a “if it will rot…. throw it in" type of composter. It mainly is composted of kitchen waste, fall leaves, bush/tree stuff chopped up, and a ton of perennial garden trimmings. It can get nice and toasty periodically through the year… it gets filled with red wigglers, soldier fly larva (in the wet spots) and other life having a good ol' time.

Anyway… just some random interesting topics of review…

SIFTER: My old sifter broke…. So I came across a stackable commercial plastic bread wrack. It worked great. The holes are a half inch… but for my veggie garden.. I don’t mind some larger bits making it in. It’s nice and light, has handles, and won’t break or rust on me either.
BAD CHICKEN: We had cleaned out our freezer of all sorts of old stuff that we hadn’t seen the light in 3 years… some of which included freezer burned chicken breasts and thighs. This all went into the center of the compost and covered last fall. I didn’t find a single noticeable bone this weekend. I was expecting to get to the center of a bad tootsie pop there for a bit.
COCONUTS: 10 years back we had a party that included some coconut shell cups…. I had broke them in half back then. I am still coming across those same parts now. They are barely even “rounded” off from the composting process.
CLAM SHELLS: It’s fun to smash clam shells with a pitch fork.
ORANGES: It’s not fun (or a good idea) to smash old green fuzzy colored oranges with a pitch fork.

Comments (14)