SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Report from London

Anglophilia
7 years ago

After a torturous trip getting here (flight from Detroit to LHR cancelled an hour 1/2 before departure due to mechanical issues, I was then put on a flight to Amsterdam, and then n to London Sun afternoon. Amsterdam was a mess - very officious, I different and stupid gate agents who caused problems for about 6 of us. Got to LHR 6 hours later than planned - son already in London and had quickly texted him the night before to call and change my pickup car, wheelchair rental, and meeting at rental house with agent. He did so, but I waited an hour for the wheelchair guy, and two hours for my car and they sent a driver who did not know that huge airport, and spoke little English. It's just fortunate that I knew how to get to the house as he did not!

We made it to the Lndon Ete in time (that had to be changed, too!), and then had a great roast chicken dinner at a favorite local restaurant. The house I rented in S Kensington exceeds expectations - I will take picture and post in the Building a House thread - as their use of light and small space is brilliant.

We were all very tired and slept have late this AM and then headed to St Paul's Cathedral where DS and DGC walked up to the top of the dome and went outside on the balcony. I love that church and had a delightful conversation with a retired vicar who helps out from time to time. If one wants to meet true Brits, go to a church - that's where they will be found!

Then to a wheelchair accessible Tube station and to the V and A for an hour before it closed. Quick walk of two blocks back to the house.

What a treat to be back in London and with my darlings! I love this city so much and it always feels like coming home even if my ancestors left it on the Mayflower and with Wm Penn!

Comments (10)