SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Thoughts on painting wall warts?

uscpsycho
7 years ago

Do people usually paint their wall warts like alarm sensors and such? I know ceiling and wall speakers usually come with paintable grills, but do you ever paint the other stuff that isn't specified as "paintable" by the manufacturer? My painter is willing to do this but says he's never done it before.

This makes most sense for the white components going on my gray walls so they don't stick out, but to me it makes just as much sense for white components on white ceilings. In my parents' home, which was done over 15 years ago, the white plastic components have yellowed and look old and dingy. So painting white plastic with white paint would prevent that. Maybe not necessary if today's plastics don't yellow? (But then how would we know since we can't time travel to the future?)

I read some threads where people were raving about their painted wall plates. I mentioned this to my painter and he looked at me like I was out of my mind. Even on Google I could find very few examples of this. Is painting electrical plates and switch plates a bad idea for a modern style house?

TIA

Comments (6)