What to replace a Tupperware favorite with.
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (28)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
What should I replace these boxwoods with?
Comments (15)I am looking at the house, the style of the house, the style of the shrubs and frankly I don't think lorapetulum fits here. The landscaping that exists is the more manacured type, and lorapetulum isn't that style of plant. I agree that the monkey grass could get fried, it would need regular watering to keep up with the heat, but it can work if you keep it cut back once a year. Color contrasts are a personal thing, and I know some people who love them, and others that dislike them. So Katy Bug, do you like colorful foliage? You have a wide variety of choices if you do. I like purples and lime greens, but some folks like a green or white variegation more and dislike the darker purple colors. Personally on a home like yours I do like either some lime or some variegation. I designed a garden in the Byron, Georgia area that had pale pink crepes, pale pink flowering indian hawthorne, pale pink flowering oleanders and also some fairly plain dark green shrubs like Japanese box and pittosporum (the windows were low). Added in some variegated pittosporum and aztec grass and it ended up being a simple landscape to care for but quite eye catching. We also used pink hardy chrysanthemums in some places and kept the same color scheme on the back patio and pool plants in huge containers. The home was a dark brick like yours....See MoreWhat should I replace these daylillies with?
Comments (23)It is a small area. I have an area like that by the driveway and because you will shovel snow and salt a lot of things will not survive. I would go with a small flowering bush, and my favorite Geranium like Rozanne as suggested. Maybe another early blooming geranium. Rozanne blooms for me from July until snow fall. The small bush could be one of the Knockout rose. If you like yellow there I have a yellow knockout rose "Sunny Knockout" It is fragrant and with the Rozanne you would have a yellow and blue garden. My Sunny knockout blooms from June until snow fall. It takes the snow and salt events with no problem. If you want more flowers throw some annual seeds in Spring and you can have loads of flowers all summer. Plant some Spring bulbs for early color and some Asiatic lilies and oriental lilies. Shopping list for you... Lowes has the Sunny knockout rose for 10.98. They have some Asiatic and Oriental bulbs now for 6.98 with bags of 6 bulbs per bag. I have not seen the Gerainums at the big box stores or my local nurseries. You might have to order those. I like Santa Rosa Gardens they always have coupon sales. I think they are offering 25% off now. If you start now you could have that area covered and pretty this summer....See MorePlease Assist with Tupperware Organization
Comments (50)You all are great, thank you for the kind words! sherri1058 - thanks again for the idea to store the lids vertically. strob06 - DH made the dividers. One sheet of plywood and bpathome - the dividers could always be repositioned for a new size/stype, but what I have, seems to work well, so there may not be a new size/style. I stocked up on the current sizes so should be fine for a while. Everybody so far is putting containers away in the right spots:) barncatz - The missing socks make me CRAZY! cp - I'm sure your builder could add this - it would be like your gorgeous spice cabinet, all mission style! Fori - you cracked me up with the comoment about Hunter, DH says he's up for a road trip to your home as long as he can go fishing :) 2ManyTupperWareContainers (tee hee!) watchmelol - I didn't think a title like 'Please Assist with Plastic Container Organization' worked quite as well.... annac54, Anne - now I need pictures of your Shepherds:) Hunter is a 80 pound 2 year old Shepherd - rather goofy at his age. My last was a 120 pound long hair - now that one was gorgeous! And because it's that time of year, and we're talking GS's, here was our Christmas card a few years ago. You know how some people hate the idea of cats on countertops? This was sort of a play on that... I was going to include a sponge too :)...See MoreAlternatives to plastic Tupperware
Comments (23)Some might be old enough to know when single-use products came into use (I am not; I was born in 1974). Some might have been around when the Keep America Beautiful campaign featuring Susan Spotless and then later the 'crying Indian' (who is actually Italian). The food beverage and product manufacturing industry turned littering and single use product disposal on the American public and away from the problem they are creating. They gaslit us, 'Dear American, you're the reason why the country is filling up with trash. You're responsible now." "in the 1950s, it became US Government policy to stimulate consumer purchasing to boost the economy, and that could be encouraged by replacing reusable things with throw-away things. Led by beer manufacturers, refillable bottles started to be replaced by ‘throwaway containers’ and ‘many of them were ending up as roadside trash’. In 2017 scientists from several US institutions calculated that since the 1950s ‘humans have created 8.3 billion metric tons of plastics … and most of it now resides in landfills or the natural environment’. The biggest use of plastics is packaging. Roland Geyer, lead author of the study and associate professor in University of California Santa Barbara’s Bren School of Environmental Science and Management said: “Half of all plastics become waste after four or fewer years of use.” A Beautiful If Evil Strategy https://www.plasticpollutioncoalition.org/blog/2017/10/26/a-beautiful-if-evil-strategy...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Stories

FEATURESHow Tupperware’s Inventor Left a Legacy That’s Anything but Airtight
Earl S. Tupper — and his trailblazing marketing guru, Brownie Wise — forever changed food storage. His story is stranger than fiction
Full Story
MOST POPULARKitchen Evolution: Work Zones Replace the Triangle
Want maximum efficiency in your kitchen? Consider forgoing the old-fashioned triangle in favor of task-specific zones
Full Story
FURNITUREOld Furniture: Clean, Reupholster or Replace It?
A veteran upholstery cleaner weighs in on the options for found, inherited and thrift store furniture
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Replace Your Lawn With a Garden
New project for a new year: Lose the turfgrass for energy savings, wildlife friendliness and lower maintenance
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSHow to Replace a Button on a Tufted Chair
Fix a popped button on a tufted chair back with this upholstery teacher's step-by-step tutorial
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: See What Defines a Craftsman Home
Charming features and intimate proportions have made Craftsman houses an American favorite. See their common details and variations
Full Story
PORCHESPorch Life: Step Into a Backyard Addition With Breezy Coastal Style
Comfortable furniture, a dining area and a grill make this new porch a North Carolina family’s favorite spot
Full Story

MATERIALSAre You a Maker? Show Us Your Favorite Tool or Material
Houzz Call: A tool or material can be a maker’s best friend. We’d like to see your favorite — and what it helps you achieve
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Ideas from 10 Kitchen Makeovers
Share your thoughts on gorgeous kitchen transformations from Boston to Bristol. Which is your favorite?
Full Story


User