SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coops905

Alternatives to plastic Tupperware

H202
2 years ago

Can anyone provide recommendations?

Background is that for 15 years we have been using those plastic Ziploc square containers for storing leftovers - the kind with blue lids that you buy in a pack of four in the saran wrap aisle…. They fall somewhere between single use and lasting forever. I’d say they last 5 years of near daily use, and then we periodically replace them as they break down. At any given time we are using probably 15 of the smaller ones in the fridge - storing a lot of opened cheese, sliced fruits and veggies (half a tomato, avocado etc), opened cans of beans, and leftovers. This system works well for us, because we are great about actually eating leftovers, the second half of a tomato etc, instead of creating a lot of food waste. Fwiw, we always handwash them, no microwave, and they are bpa free- so i’m not super concerned about ill health effects.

We keep a stack of probably 20 in a drawer (of the 6 inch square size), with the lids in a neat pile in the same drawer, and then have four of the larger size (maybe one gallon rectangle) also stacked in the same drawer. I like this because it is super neat, and very user friendly - instead of having a million different sizes thrown a drawer where you never find the lid. They also stack really nicely in the fridge with lids on.

I’m due to refresh my supply, and feeling bad about buying more plastic products that eventually end up in the trash.

I’ve briefly looked at alternatives but not seeing a great solution. The silicone bags seem messy for how many we use all the time, both from a cleaning and stacking in the fridge perspective. I like the idea of glass, but all the sets seem to be with ten different sizes, and i think theyd take up huge amounts of drawer space? But maybe Im missing something…. Is there a glass version where you can stack a bunch of same size in a fairly compact pile?

Ive looked at stainless, but we use so many that the not see through nature seems like a real negative.

What am I missing? Are there better options?

Comments (23)