SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odjtito

Palms for tropical yard zone 10a-b

Orlando Diaz
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm located in northern Palm Beach. I'm in the beginning stages of sprucing up my backyard to give it a more tropical feel. My home is decorated in a tropical/beach/ocean theme and I want to continue that outdoors.

I want to start with a few palm trees, 3-4. One on each side of the Florida Maple tree and a third on the right-side (east) fence line, or a forth if you think that would work. Looking for suggestions of what palm trees to choose.

I have a large enclosed sunroom with a wide view of the back yard. The back yard is on the north side of my home. There is a picnic bench in the center and a large Florida Maple tree behind it. Here's a layout to illustrate:

Wide angle view: The north east corner is directly behind the red patio umbrella.

The hedges on the right-side fence line are the invasive Brazilian Pepper (Florida Holly). They are horrible and I have severe allergic skin reactions to them so they will eventually meet they're demise. The Florida Maple is the tree in the center.

Here's a panoramic view from inside sunroom:

Plenty of sun hits the backyard. The Maple provides partial shade during different parts of the day to the right and left of it.

Some ideas on what I could further do along the fence lines to fill in would be helpful for the later stages of this project.

Keep in mind that the rear wood fence will need to be replaced with in the next couple years so I need a little space between landscaping and fence. The right chain-link fence line will also have a wood privacy fence installed eventually after I get rid of the Brazillian Peppers. I have to watch my spending so I will be doing this a little at a time.

The small area directly to the right of the sunroom will likely be a separate small garden with a smaller centerpiece palm. There is an A/C unit against the house there I forgot to add to the layout but this will be the last phase of my project I think.

Thx

Comments (111)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!