SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
every_mann

Michelia Alba/Champaca: Advice Requested (Zone 10a)

Every Mann
6 years ago

Fragrant plant enthusiasts:

I have just purchased my second Michelia Alba. Briefly, I purchased my first one @3 years ago that was moderately root-bound, being a 15ft tree with a nearly 5" diameter trunk that was in a ridiculous-looking 10gal container. As I live on an island off the Gulf Coast of Florida, we are prone to tropical storms resulting in infrequent brackish water flooding parts of the yard. The seller (and planter) of the first Michelia Alba assured me that these trees are salt tolerant.

Guess what happened?

The tree thrived for the better part of 2 years, but during the bad tropical storm (Hermine?) last summer, the water from the Gulf rose so high that the roots of the M Alba were under a few inches of water for 3-4 hours. From that moment it was a slow decline for the tree, until everything died off apart from a 4ft stump that remains and for the past 6 months has been shooting off small branches that look promising, but they inevitably die back. So very sad.

I'm hooked on the fragrance of this tree, so I built a raised bed, 4' x 4' dimensions, out of double-stacked PT 2"x12" lumber on the highest spot in the yard. The second M Alba tree I just purchased is much smaller than the aforementioned first one, and though this one had been in a 30gal container before I transplanted it this weekend, its trunk is about half the thickness of the last one and it's only about 10' tall.

Getting around to the reason for my post (which I said would be brief; sorry) is that when I removed this M Alba from its 30gal container, I ended up pulling out @bit more than half of what was in the container, in that the main root ball is still attached to the tree, but approximately 6 or 8 inches of dirt and very tiny roots remained at the bottom of the container. (Lifting it up & into the bed was really a 2-man job, but I rushed it and foolishly tackled it by myself.) I lined the bottom of the raised bed with seashell, and then cow manure. I next put the aforementioned soil from the bottom of the container, and then I placed the M Alba on top of that and filled the rest of the raised bed with a mixture of Miracle-Gro and regular top soil.

Now 48 hours have passed and the tree still looks as green and vibrant as it did when it arrived from the nursery. Am I safe now with regard to potential transplant shock, and if not, at what point can I stop worrying that I may have done significant damage to the root system? I see that there are still about a dozen of the glorious little football-shaped buds on this tree waiting to bloom. Any tips or advice as to how I may best proceed with this (expensive) tree would be great! Thanks for reading this.

Comments (6)