SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Multicooker First Outing Report

plllog
7 years ago

I was given a Breville multicooker--which I didn't need--as a present. In previous threads, people extolled it for rice, but I rarely make rice and it's just as easy on the stove. I was given a lot of ideas of what to do with it, but I wasn't motivated. Still, I thought I should get it out of the box and clean, and use it before a year had passed, so I gave away my hated old crock pot to make room to put it away.

This thought coincided with a hectic week. There was a totally different kind of whizbang appliance ad that said "set it and forget it". That idea had appeal. I can cook anything I can think of in my overly well equipped kitchen, but nothing I'd walk away from. That's the good of slow cooking (which I could actually do in my warming drawer and walk away from, but I haven't). The bad is my old crock pot. You were supposed to be able to put the crock on the stove and brown in it, or finish a dish in it, but everything I made it in was meh, and you really can't brown anything in the recommended temperatures. Plus, by the time you have the meat seared and the vegetables browned, you might as well just use the pot you're already in on the stove...

So, what I learned by opening it up is that this device does all the cooking. Really. You just need a bowl for holding this aside while you do that and a colander if you need to drain something (though you could use the steamer basket if the holes aren't too big. Yes, I said steamer basket. There's also a rack. I haven't really investigated them yet, but steaming is one of the things this supposedly does. It also has settings for slow cook, pressure cook, sear, sauté, reduce, and one more, maybe. Plus an automatic keep warm setting (which most slow cookers have nowadays). Okay. Looks promising.

I had this beef cut for stew that needed using, but I was tired of the same old variations on Mulligan. I've been trying to add more beans to our regular fare, but get tired of making them. The guy who invented the slow cooker was making an appliance to make cholent (Jewish been stew made overnight on a banked fire for Sabbath day). I was telling that to the college girl a couple days ago. So those things met in my mind and I set soaking about a pound of cannellini beans that had been lingering in the pantry from a long ago dish because I don't really cannellini beans.

At first I hesitated to cook the beans overnight, but I was just doing them in water, same as soaking. I figured they weren't going to spoil sitting in the pot with the pressure worthy seal. Even though there was too much water (amount gotten from a recommendation in a book), the beans were cooked perfectly. So I drained them and started on the beef.

The sear function is...okay. I've been known to just kind of stir stew around a pot to brown it rather than carefully caramelizing each side. I'd cut mine small and for sure didn't want to bother with the latter, so I did it the same way as I'd cheater brown on the stove, and it worked fine. I'll have to try with a large piece of meat, but I'm not sure that it'll really sear, but I'm withholding final judgment. So I took out the beef and put in the onions and some chopped pancetta that also needed using (very not Jewish meat), and used the sauté setting. That does lo, med, hi. Hi is a good temperature. Probably about med-high on my induction. Fine for the onions.

I turned it down to medium while I finished chopping celery, etc. With all veg in, I dumped the meat and beans back in, added some seasoning, tomato paste, wine and chili sauce, and set it to run on its "chili and stew" slow cook setting. You can adjust the time and temperature--I did for the beans (on the bean setting) which needed the soak because they were so old, but then needed less cook because they were so soaked. I just let the meat/bean/veg run on its own, not having a clue if it was right.

Since I didn't have a recipe or anything, I opened it up after about four hours just to see if it needed fixing before it finished--yes, I know you're not supposed to open a slow cooker and stir, but one has to test the flavoring while there's still time--but everything seemed to be cooking well, and the flavor was good (yes, gasp! I tasted it with the not completely cooked beef! But then I also handled the same beef raw).

When it was singing its done song it was rather soupy. The vegetables had yielded up a lot of water. But there's the handy dandy reduce setting. Which worked! It had it simmering away in no time, and the 10 minutes it put on the countdown timer turned out to be just the right timing. That might have been coincidence. There's a sensor in the bottom under the pan, but if I remember the book right, it's like the old Thermador coil stove pot sensor. I don't think it actually knows how much water there is, but rather is programmed with an average for a couple quarts of chili/stew.

Which is a very long story for how this device ROCKS as a slow cooker because you can do all the cooking right in it and don't have to be transferring from and to the stove at the beginning and end, which has always been the killer thing for me. And, as one is supposed to be able to do, I could run it over night and while I was out working and all that.

Oh, yeah. And the dish was very good. It could have used more of spices to be dynamite, but it was still very good. :)

I'm also less scared of pressure cooking, now, because of the thing's brain. It has three ways of releasing pressure depending on the kind of food, plus an emergency valve, and while there are warnings about not overfilling lest it blow, and all that, it pretty much takes care of itself. Maybe I'll pressure cook the next pot of beans just to see what happens...

Comments (12)