SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Report on my first day at work

alisande
12 years ago

This will be a brief report, because I'm tired! Had trouble getting to sleep last night, so I got only five hours before the alarm went off.

It's funny.....people starting a new job usually get assignments handed to them gradually. But in this case I was treated like I've been there all along, and I was handed a full plate right away. At times it felt like I'd never left.....I enjoyed being back in the newsroom, resuming my banter with Kevin, the Sports Editor, whom I wrote about here, and interfacing with the crazy public. I was more than a little surprised at how quickly I slipped back into reporter mode.

But a lot has happened in the nine years I've been away. One of the things that happened is I'm nine years older. I don't have the energy I had nine years ago. I don't have the desire to seek out stories, cover events, or sit through interminable township meetings at night. So while I had some fun today, and enjoyed being busier than busier, I think two weeks of this is going to be enough.

Sherrmann was right when she said the job would get my blood going. I knew it as soon as I read it. My blood has been a tad lethargic lately. It got going on this first day, and that felt good.

On the minus side, the first keyboard I used this morning was so awful that I asked if they had another. The second one was better, but I still had to type a lot harder than I'm used to, and one of the shift keys didn't work. It drove me nuts! So I'll probably arrive at work tomorrow with one of my own keyboards under my arm. I wish I could do the same with my desk chair. The one in the newsroom is like sitting on concrete and has no back support. I have a lumbar pillow around here that I'll bring.

Thanks for cheering me on, everyone!

Susan

Comments (12)