SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

How do you defrost frozen bread?

Since I'm getting about three loaves of bread at a time from the bakery, I am freezing two of them for later use - something that I have not normally done with bread - especially sourdough. Last week I was in Texas visiting relatives, and so I stored two and a half loaves in my freezer while I was gone. One was a large round loaf, one was half of a round loaf, and the other was a pre-sliced regularly shaped loaf. I took out the half loaf when I got home and weighed it. It was seven ounces (I think) - it was slightly less than half a loaf - and I defrosted it in the MW using the instructions for boneless chicken, which involved turning it a couple of times. My scale measures in 0.2 ounce increments, and the MW uses tenths of a pound, and so I had to make an approximation for that, and I rounded up for the MW. That seemed to work okay, but some of the bread was quite cold and parts of it were quite warm, but it evened out after I left it rest for a while.

I'm thinking now that I should not freeze an entire whole loaf and should cut it in half before freezing, so that I do not have to defrost en entire loaf.

I'm not crazy about defrosted bread, but I do like the convenience.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations