SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfhl31

Help with kitchen layout for 140 year old home. Please!

Katherine L
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My husband and I are restoring/renovating a home built in 1874. We are relocating the kitchen to the former dining room so that it will be more centrally located for modern living. I think the space will work, but I am having a tough time with the layout. I reached out to an interior designer and her design was fantastic, but it involved moving a load bearing wall that is not in our budget.

I spent countless hours on gardenweb about 6 years ago planning my last kitchen with lots of help and i learned a ton, but this one is tough for me. I'd really appreciate any help/insights/advice that you have to offer. I am often amazed by the solutions to be found here.

We plan to use the space under the stairs as a mini pantry - there maybe some mechanical stuff in there so we can rely on being able to use that space for anything else.

The architectural plans just have things as place holders to get a permit.

The super amateur sketch is what I need help with - please!!!

The kitchen is 156" wide (refigerator wall) and 128" to the doorway on the other wall - no uppers on this wall.

I have also considered a single wall of cabinets on the fridge wall with a larger island. That way I could have a wall oven and rangetop which I love, but I think it might look too crowded.

We plan to have:

36" built in refigerator - requires 42.5" since it will be against a wall

36" gas range

30" apron front sink

prep sink is not mandatory.

undercounter microwave/speedoven

1 dishwasher

Thanks!

Comments (7)