SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
distanton

Please help with new kitchen layout in old house

Brohe
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We live in a house built in 1920 and the first attached drawing is the floor plan of how things are now. With a diagnosis of Celiac Disease for my daughter last year, my time in the kitchen has greatly increased and the layout needs to be changed so it will work more efficiently. I am attaching a floor plan of the entire house:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/DWz7up8.jpg[/img]

Main uses for the kitchen:

Besides cooking three meals a day, I bake almost daily, so an empty stretch of counter with easy access to ingredients, mixing bowls, measuring tools, mixer, and food processor is very important. This is where the hard part (for me) of the layout comes in: not only are refrigerated items needed, but there are many flours that I use that are not available where I live so I buy them when I can and keep them in a chest freezer that is 30" by 48".

Eating area for three or four people. Dinner, and sometimes lunch, is eaten in the dining room, but it's nice to be able to feed breakfast to my family in the kitchen. A small banquette sounds lovely, but if lack of space warrants it, a counter height island or peninsula is fine. I just can't bear any longer the current table that is in the way of everything!

I would love to have:

Meal planning and homework station- I would love to have a nice, dedicated space in, or at least adjacent to the kitchen where I can comfortably sit and open two or three cookbooks at a time and have my computer there permanently. During the school year, my daughter does her homework in the kitchen while I am cooking.

A walk-in pantry.

What doesn't work:

The U-shape - the two sides are eight feet apart, which seems so far when the spoon or ingredient you need is on the other side, yet try to put a work surface in there, and they are way too close!

I don't like the corners.

The upper cabinets that extend across two sides- they make the room seem smaller than it is and I can't reach the ones in the corners.

Okay, here's a larger drawing of the space. I worked so hard to make it easy to read but I can now see that it's not. I am so sorry, I know you are busy people and I don't want to waste anyone's time. I just really, really need help figuring out what is feasible here and what isn't.

We are a small family: two parents, a nine-year old daughter, and a dog. The door leading in from the screened porch on the left is the main entrance and exit for the family. I am usually the only one working with the food, but sometimes there is someone sitting in the room with me. This is an older house with a kitchen that can be closed off by the swinging door on the bottom left of the drawing, and I like it that way.

Constraints:

The electrical box is in the corner on the upper left side of the drawing. It stays put. The water heater and clothes washer are drawn in the first photo. My husband would like for those hook-ups to stay, but I can try to price moving them if needed.

The interior wall across the space - the left side (past the 71" marked on the right) is added and I can take that down easily and happily. The right side might be original to the house. I can't tell yet if it is load-bearing (is anyone familiar with balloon-framing?) At the least, I can make openings between the studs (marked)

What can change:

The second drawing has no cabinets in it because they are going to be completely torn out. I have already gotten the tub out of there and the hot water heater will be replaced with a tankless that will hang on a wall.

The door can be moved up to where window is above it in drawing. There has apparently been one there before.

The gas hook-up can be moved.

The outside deck is causing moisture problems on the side of the house. If the deck has to be replaced anyway, I would like to change it to a simple rectangular form running behind the dining room and the kitchen. If it is feasible, a door from the kitchen to deck outside would make letting the dog in and out easier.

Other:

I have found a hidden boarded up cubby 65" wide by 15" deep 10 feet tall (bottom right of drawing.) It backs up to a matching one that faces the dining room. I would like to open that back up and penetrate through to one or two shelves to make a pass-through of everyday dishes to the dining room. It is way too deep to reach through unless I can walk up to it, so I was wondering if it would make sense to run a counter under the windows and into that wall and place the dishwasher to the right of the sink

A new range - I am trying to find a 36" gas freestanding range to replace the 30" that we have.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz