SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gigigirl1

help! change layout of old home to open concept

gigigirl1
10 years ago

We bought what I think is an american Foursquare and I want to change the interior layout to open concept. The house was built in 1915 and there was an addition of a kitchen and sunroom put on around the 70's I think. I want a ULTRA MODERN floor plan. The house has arch ways between the rooms which I started knocking out.

The rooms can be switched around or can stay where they are as long as it can be an open concept. Where do I put the TV once I give it an open concept??? Also I wanted to put in an electric fireplace. I was thinking of getting rid of window in family room and making the wall a fireplace wall and put rectangular window at ceiling line to still get the light in, but I am not sure. I love Sunlight and I want tons of windows and I want decorative glass exterior doors. So many decisions to make and I am really confused and stressed right now.

I have the kitchen posted in the kitchen forum trying to design the kitchen. Due to the size of my appliances the KD I am working with says the sunroom has to go. He suggests removing the wall and utilizing the sunroom for the kitchen. I am debating adding a 5'ft addition off of what is now the sunroom cause I have a 5 ft concrete pad out there already that I could utilize.

I originally had planned to put sliding glass door on the back of the "Original" Sunroom so I could let me dogs outside with ease rather then having to go out the side door and walk them around the yard to take them where the fencing is, but if I use the Sunroom for the kitchen I can't do that.

Another dilema is my husband comes in dirty from work and I want a place for him to come in and take his shoes off so he doesn't dirty the house.

I am so confused I don't know what to do??? Suggestions please!!!!

The pic below is the interior layout now. I tried my best to draw it.

Pic below Front of House. You can see the Rooftop Deck which the door in the dining room goes out to.

Pic below. Back of house. The brick shorter part is the kitchen and sunroom. where those buig bushes are that are now gone are where the concrete pad is and the Sunroom exterior door

Pic below. what is now family room and to the right you see the arch going into the living room. to the left you see how we knocked out the wall trying to open the kitchen, and straight to the left you see the exterior door in the sunroom/

Pic below. Standing in family room knocking out arch into dining room.

Pic Below. Standing in existing kitchen looking into family room

Pic below. Standing in family room looking to left is kitchen too the right is Sunroom.

Pic below. This is the small Sunroom. We knocked out the wall next to the side door that separates the family room from the Sunroom. To the left is the opening to the kitchen and that is the wall the KD says has to go.

Comments (15)