SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesandbrittany_williams

Adding a switch controlled outlet

Hi, so I'm reluctantly engaging in some wiring projects around my house. The tougher jobs are going to be where the drywalls already up (contractors want 5500 for a job that should be less then half that in my area). I have a friend that rewired his whole house to code with permits, so I won't be alone in this but I do want to educate myself prior to planning this out with him.

Anyway one key job will be to add outlets controlled by switches. This will be done on walls with no insulation and on one side I'll have attic access, also there will be switches present at each location I do this. So, I wanted to provide you the photos of a double switch that will be a triple when I'm done. In my mind I believe all I have to do is tap the feed wire, send it to the switch and up to the outlet. Then feed the neutral from the outlet back to the box and tie it in (I think the bundle of white wires back there are the neutrals but I'm hoping someone can confirm). Anyway any instructional advice would be appreciated.

Comments (12)