SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Mud boots and rainforest clothing

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'll be doing some volunteer work in Panama at the height of the rainy season. I expect it to be swelteringly hot most of the day, then wet and muddy when the daily torrent hits. My work will either be performed outdoors or in a small facility that is partially open air. I want to protect my skin from the sun and bugs, so plan to take mostly long-sleeved shirts with "dri-fit" or similar technology. If anyone has any brand recommendations, please share.

My real dilemma is footwear. I will likely be spending time traipsing up and down this road, which turns into muck after the rains:

My team leader recommends "rain boots", but mostly what I'm finding when I search online are more of a fashion accessory than a work boot that's appropriate for wet and muddy conditions. I do have Keen hiking boots that are (mostly) waterproof, but they need to be worn with a heavier sock and I can't imagine doing that in sweltering conditions. Therefore, I'm looking at "muck boots" but definitely need something that grips well and is non-slippery (the roads can be challenging in places), and ideally would like something relatively breathable. Has anyone worn boots like these, and if so, what are your thoughts? A downside to this particular brand, however, is the cost. They're more than I'd like to pay.

If you're a rain or muck boot wearer, what kind of sock do you wear?

Any brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, here's a photo of footwear worn by locals in the area where we'll be working. These folks make a concerted effort to arrive at our facility clean and in their very best clothing, but as you can see - the mud is just a fact of life!

Comments (56)