SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_36387784

Dreary bedroom

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm glad my eyes are usually closed in this room.

The only thing I like about this bedroom is the warm blanket and privacy/darkness the curtains provide.

My
husband admits that pale yellow he selected didn't pan out the same
as the color chip. I joke that it is like staring at the sun.

The carpet is mostly grey blue but it looks
lavender at times such as in this photo.

My husband likes the storage (we have very little storage space) of that furniture piece behind the bed but I dislike it, especially the color. He said it used to have a mirror in the center which makes me think of it as some kind of giant eighties guillotine.

At the very least, would a bedspread make it look less chaotic? Since not all our pillows match that blanket.

I
know we'll have to repaint at some point but that will have to be put
on the back-burner until we finish the kitchen and living room. We
cannot afford to rip out the carpet and I'd rather just work with it. Perhaps a paint color would make it less lavender?
Most importantly are
there any easier improvements I could make in the meantime?

Comments (272)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Laughablemoments, I ordered those three gorgeous rosette pillows you recommended. I was worried it might look too bridal or girly but placed behind the other pillows might be perfect.. There is an opening in the cabinet between the pillows which I usually wind up sinking into somehow. I think these pillows will solve that. I'm slightly worried because it is a queen size bed (60") and the pillows altogether are slightly bigger. Hopefully it will work out with the curtains coming soon. If not, I can always easily return them.

Hopefully we'll figure out what art to put there after that too. Thanks again everybody!

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Aw, that's great, Adri. I hope you'll like them, and like you said, they'll be easy enough to return if they don't work. They're as soft as newborn puppies, and quite squishy, so I'm hopeful they'll fill the top portion of your bed nicely.

User thanked laughablemoments
  • Related Discussions

Painting Bedroom School Colors- Help!

Q

Comments (13)
    Any time you paint, it is always best to prime first so I don't really have an issue with black over any other color. I have to agree with the others, I was lucky, my son wanted brown and happens to have simple, plain, almost too adult taste. I posted his room here, it is very grown up for a 12 year old. My daughter wants orange, but we aren't painting yet as the color she wants changes almost weekly so I told her she has to be positive before I will paint. I'd say let him paint, so long as he is sure, he's only young so long and it's only paint. I keep trying to tell myself with my son it's only hair - it's not working for me so it may not for you either. :). I'd even go so far as to allow him to help paint the room. He will be so proud of it. I think black and gold will not be dreary, all depends on how he does it. Did you see the one room here with a black chalk board wall? Maybe he'd be into 3 gold walls and a black chalkboard wall. I'm trying to talk my son into doing one of his walls that way.
    ...See More

Something's Missing in the Bedroom

Q

Comments (66)
    I think I'd prefer to keep the colors more subtle than red. I have the rust carpet on the floor and there are bits of red in the embroidery on the kimono but I think that is all the strong color I want. I have a pair of chairs that are similar in tone to the background of the kimono. Right now they are in the LR, but they were bought for the bedroom. As soon as I get all of the furniture sorted out in the LR (my sofa has been sent back to the factory!), those chairs will return to the bedroom. I'm not sure where the burgundy suede chairs will end up. Maybe in a guest room. This Design Seed reminds me of the colors in the room
    ...See More

Help! Need Suggestions for Color in My Vaulted Ceiling Bedroom & Zinc

Q

Comments (16)
    I love gray bedrooms I find them very restful This is one of my faves for sure but I usually pant walls in a bedroom after choosing bedding so is what you show what will be your bedding. I have no idea why the emerld unless there is some of that somewhere in the space . I love drapes in bedrooms they give a feel of luxury and also work well for light control. BTW you need much larger lamps and IMO the bench is too small for the scale of the bed . Unless you get a huge rug I actually prefer nice small ones on either side of the bed I even often use sheepskin ones for a really cozy place to put your feet. Can you take a better pic of the whole space ?
    ...See More

Please help choosing bedroom paint color for east facing room!!

Q

Comments (70)
    If you want the paint color to go with the trim and carpet, it would be better to line up all your sample sheets in a single row just above the baseboard instead of at the ceiling. Your carpet and headboard both have yellow-orange in them. An analogous color choice would also. You have that but it has been greyed. And you want a lighter color for your walls, a near-white. Is that all making sense so far? Am I finally understanding now? It's not so much the morning light you want to capture. Right? You're looking at egret white. Did the sample arrive yet? Meanwhile, here's an article about it: https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/paint-colour-review-sherwin-williams-egret-white-sw-7570/ All the pictures in the above article show cool tones for the wood, not your golden yellow carpet and headboard colors. And the article says egret white has purple pink undertones, which I think are perfect for an east- facing room, but you seem to have dismissed earlier when I mentioned SW Flour White. I'm wondering if you would be happier with something with less grey in it. And you said you are looking for a lighter color, a "white". What do you think? How about SW Alabaster? https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/quick-paint-colour-review-sherwin-williams-alabaster-sw-7008/
    ...See More
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

As far as art, how about finding a map of a place that is meaningful to you, or perhaps a black and white picture? Then have it printed, or if budget is of concern, have large engineering prints made and frame.

User thanked nosoccermom
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

nosoccermom, that is great option. The problem is I am terrible at framing anything and I don't think I can find a photo I like which is also the pixel quality needed for such a print. First I want to exhaust other options but that is a pretty awesome idea.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Go to Birch lane, type in clearance and art and you'll find many that would work for you.

User thanked Yayagal
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like a lot of the stuff on Birch Lane and the customer photo reviews. I will make sure to go through all their pages of wall art. In the meantime, I had seen this at Crate & Barrel. Curious what others here thought of it:

I like it but I'm thinking it is too busy or something.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

it looks very nice. I like it. however

a) each time you'll sit on your bed you risk banging your head onto it or your hair tangling in it somehow(unless you have a pixie cut like yours truly)

b) you can google "mid century modern wall sculpture" and get something that will be uniquely yours, and probably better made. Curtis Jere's works will probably cost too high; but you can get lucky with his wall sculptures too. Just don't search 1stDibs)) but Etsy and eBay should have some cool stuff..I checked Etsy, very cool actually

(found so much cool stuff while searching. if I had somewhere to put this sconce I'd buy it lol..so decadent. Huge too.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/476936890/cool-hollywood-regency-mid-century?ref=market

I'm under the spell of a design book I read. Many lights, many flowers, and decay. Had to share.)

why am i telling this?

I bought a piece of decor once in Crate and Barrel..we just bought our previous home and I was in this new homeowner frenzy, you know? to fill it

well that was a mistake. First, it was poorly made; second, I didn't feel anything for it. I bought it to fill and it never became nothing more than a filler. Great for staging a place..I think was one of the things the stager allowed to stay:) Not so much in terms of a personal meaning.

It was also pretty and had leaves. I find it hard to resist leaves:)

(It was a candle holder)

But hey. Such things..art and all..they are very very personal. First reason is valid because it's practical; second reason-not so much. You might feel totally different than me, and this piece will become meaningful to you, because everybody's got his thirteen reasons why(c).

My first netsuke(I collect them albeit very very slowly) is much less elaborately made than the others that came after it. Yet I love it the same because it was the first one. It started my story.

As for busy..that's personal too. To me for example it's not busy.

User thanked aprilneverends
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can totally relate to being in a home frenzy. Curtis Jere has some interesting art, yes, too rich for my blood. Art is indeed personal but I've learned recently that certain sizes look best in certain spaces.

My husband found this one. I like it but wonder if it's too busy. I mean, I'd like it to be calm and peaceful. That's why I liked the placid water in the first one. Maybe the clouds look to windy or stormy in this one.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Oh of course the size does matter..you want the painting/whatever it might be to be properly seen and enjoyed in a space you want to see it.

Due to my vast/limited funds most of my art is rather small:) Interestingly, seems even smaller in smaller home. I can't explain to myself this phenomena. But I do know I want to have bigger art too. Otherwise, sometimes it's a composition. Compositions, or even gallery walls, are something I love. Nevertheless some art -to me at least-calls to be more..by itself.

Calm and peaceful. See that's very personal too. I mean the meaning we attach to it. Some cemeteries are very calm and peaceful, for example. I'm not joking:)

Sky and sea-they change all the time. So there's always a hint of something else behind any captured moment. That's why we so long to capture the moment. Probably. We learned not to take it for granted.

It's amazing how many associations come to one's mind when looking at art. You showed a picture with clouds-who didn't see clouds, right?-yet it got me thinking. I'd say it's a beautiful start for a day. So thank you..

In short. You already know what I'm going to say-if in doubt, don't go for it. When you see your art you'll know. You'll feel the connection. And it doesn't matter where you'll see it.

Well it will matter in terms whether you can take it with you or not:)

(I first saw netsuke in a museum in London. Couldn't take them lol. But I stood there for a long, long time, and had this overwhelming desire to break the glass. Usually doesn't happen to me in museums..)

PS the clouds don't look too windy.. they do move and are close and look like you're passing through them. This looks like a pic taken from an aeroplane

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Adri, what size are you looking for?

User thanked k9arlene
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I started looking at Birch Lane..thank you for the link yayagal..I don't think I've heard of them before

they do have a lot of nice prints I must say

funnily how that's very calm and peaceful to me:) I didn't go through everything yet

(it's too small and not what you're looking for. neither what I'm looking for. but it's very calm and peaceful...

I guess it's also about subject a lot. what we find calming..

What do you find calming?

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

User thanked k9arlene
  • Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

K9arlene, I love the first piece! Where did you find it?

User thanked Claire Buoyant
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

k9arlene, the actual opening is 63" by 36" so something which fits in it with a room for a border I guess. The ones you posted are very nice and peaceful.

aprilneverends, for me flowers read feminine even though they shouldn't. I'd like to keep a neutral look. Wouldn't it be nice if we could analyze exactly why we like particular things with crystal clarity from our past or our biology, who knows. Off the cuff, I like placid water, nature, plants, leaves, uniform texture, soft lines but not limited to that.

Y'all are helping so much, thank you!

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

oh i never implied you should go for flowers..or anything specific, really.

just an illustration on how personal our reactions are

no..it wouldn't be probably that nice to analyze exactly:) many things attract us the most because we find it hard to analyze them..or so i think..

I'm not sure how much of a help I am:)

if i see something that catches my eye, and I imagine you'd like it-I'll post it?..

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Adri, I googled calming bedroom art and there were lots of hits. These happened to be from art.com.

User thanked k9arlene
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The curtains are here.

Please excuse the momentary messiness.

Keep or return? I like them but I'm worried they are too busy? Also the
    room feels a bit smaller with these curtains. What do you think?

• Debbie Downer
    7 years ago

In combination with the walls, its too much of a monotone gray - both grays of same intensity, but slightly different tone. Actually I like the curtains fine, its the walls that I would either take up a notch (richer, darker, more presence) for contrast .... or give them some COLOR. Or go the opposite direction - lighter, fluffier curtains with COLOR - even just a hint of color - and keep the walls.

FWIW!

User thanked Debbie Downer
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My recent photos don't do the paint on the wall justice. It really is beautiful. I wish my entire home was that color. I'm just not so sure of the curtains. Maybe white would be better.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Give yourself a day or two. Sometimes it's the question of getting adjusted to something new.

I like them, to me these are keepers. I think it all is coming together, to that feeling you wanted the room to give you. It has softness, and layers, and this subtle movement, you know

But you definitely need to like them. So give yourself some time to decide.

• Laurie Gordon
    7 years ago

I like the curtains. They add a little depth and with your art above the bed I think you will have achieved that calm serene space you were after.

User thanked Laurie Gordon
  • deegw
    7 years ago

I really like the curtains. You haven't used any pattern in the room so I can see why they might take some getting used to . They work nicely with your bed and the wall color. They add a nice subtle layer of color and texture and pattern.

But, as April said, it's your room and if they bother you there are plenty of other options that will look nice too.

User thanked deegw
  • laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Give them a few days, but if after that they feel unsettling rather than calm and peaceful, package them up and return them, guilt free. They're pretty, but it's more important that you love them in your space than how they look in a picture online.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I'd go with off white/creamy linen look curtains.

User thanked nosoccermom
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

..Do you like this artist?

http://www.aprilr.com/BACKBAY/index.php

http://www.aprilr.com/Landscape/index.php

(her works are mostly out of my budget. I have just one small still life by her. I keep it next to my bed so it will be the first thing I lay my eyes upon when I wake up. It's very quiet. and the light is amazing. It shines from within..

Very soft lines and colors

she has different subjects of course..industrial and urban feels different.

yet all of them have this soft light about them)

I'm trying to get a feel of what you find calming vs maybe unsettling..since it's so personal, and sometimes hard to predict.

And I found some significantly cheaper works, different websites and artists, but I'm a bit shy and hesitant to post these, because I feel one needs to understand another's preferences better, in order to suggest these things

• User
    7 years ago

I love those curtains! Keep them. I think you may end up feeling like they give the room warmth rather than making the room small. I might consider them for a cream and white bedroom in my home despite the fact that they are hand washable only.

User thanked User
  • amykath
    7 years ago

Here is a mock up for some ideas.

User thanked amykath
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

I like the drapes but I feel the print puts an active energy feel on that wall and the rest of the room is calming. I'd return them for the solid as on my computer the grays are not blending.

User thanked Yayagal
  • House Vixen
    7 years ago

Hi again Adri --

Split opinions on the curtains, I see!

I happen to like them; as you say the wall color's tough to represent in person, but the curtains seem to create a tonal look (vs clashing undertones) on my monitor.

I know you're more of a solids person, but I think this pattern is very soothing and right in line with the organic, textured look you've identified as being stylistically "YOU!"

In seeing where you are now I couldn't help but think of driftwood as a wonderful theme for above the bed.

Maybe it's pieces of driftwood you put in a shadowbox, maybe it's photos you've taken and should get printed large-scale, maybe it's a watercolor...

or maybe it's a great photo like one from this Etsy seller, GWorrell...different sizes, but $49 for 20 x 30 unframed ( I have no ties to her). Lots of other landscape shots there, too, and of course Etsy is a goldmine for art):

another from her shop

Framing can up your costs but it can also be done very inexpensively using easy-to-assemble DIY kits. Online art supply stores have them if the usual in-store spots don't).

ps Don't be afraid to choose -- or make -- art with a point of view.

I find too-generic images don't do anything for me, because I want to feel something and connect to it. I have lots of stuff that others would hate on my wall (including vintage mug shots) but it works for me!

User thanked House Vixen
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will leave the curtains up for a while just to see if my mind changes. In the meantime I've found some cream, linen-look curtains.

Aprilneverends, thank you for finding art. Yes, I like it. It's hard to find something that is large to fit in that space yet affordable.

House Vixen, driftwood is a great idea I hadn't thought about.

I *think* my husband and I both found something we both like. It's very simple and we can turn it sideways:

aktillery9, cute mockup, thank you for taking the time to do that!

So the pillows I ordered arrived.. Walmart ships super fast for free too:

I love the texture and softness but they're pink! They look quite PINK in our room.

Look at me, from dreary bedroom to Miss fussy pants. ;-)

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Oh no! That's awful! Pink must leave. I'm so sorry. Bad pink, bad bad bad pink. I'm glad that the returns are easy...

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

I like the curtains, but as many have said, you have to like them. Besides the pink pillows being awful, I really don't think decorative pillows behind your bed pillows add anything. I'd get two smaller pillows like aktillery's mock up in a gray color to bring in the gray from the walls and curtains and place them in front of your bed pillows. I really think you need to bring in one more gray item either in pillows or art.

User thanked k9arlene
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm glad that returns are easy. They're very nice pillows though!

First I think I need to downsize the King pillows because they're overwhelming the bed and then take it from there. I like the idea of adding a light gray too.

• Suzieque
    7 years ago

I've been watching this thread with great interest; you've gotten great advice and you've done great yourself! Good for you for sticking with it. I have noticed that you do seem very texture/pattern averse. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think that more pattern/texture would give your room some nice depth. And now that the room is all white and gray (or variations of those), I'd pull in some color. Even just a bit to add interest. I LOVE what aktillery did in the mockup.

User thanked Suzieque
  • k9arlene
    7 years ago

http://www.target.com/p/twig-insulated-woven-blackout-grommet-top-window-curtain-panel-exclusive-home-153/-/A-51943708 The vanilla color.

Would you feel better with somethIng with less pattern? From Target.

User thanked k9arlene
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just an update. The purple carpet is still there for now. The rest still needs a pop of color and the large art isn't as nice as expected but overall it's tremendously better thanks to you all. Hopefully the white flowers don't look like a funeral parlor? We're trying to work on other rooms a bit more now. PS The Walmart pillows were a breeze to return. Free prepaid return label from FedEx.

Before & After:

I painted the brass/gold mirror frame white too:

• Olychick
    6 years ago

It looks FABULOUS! You must be so pleased! I would be!

User thanked Olychick
  • melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    6 years ago

I agree, it's an inviting and soothing space. Great job!

User thanked melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

ok. now this lilac carpet is suddenly looking sophisticated and highly considered..

a bit like witnessing a small miracle..:)

• cawaps
    6 years ago

That is an amazing transformation.

User thanked cawaps
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You are too young to remember this, but "you've come a long way, babe".

I love the layers of white, cream, gray. It looks amazing, and I agree that the carpet looks sophisticated and gives it just the right look.

You should submit your transformation to www.apartmenttherapy.com . It would give hope to people who are stuck with carpet they don't like and whatever other constraints.

Personally, I love these kind of transformations. Anybody can tear out everything and start from scratch to come up with a bedroom that's like standard fare from whatever HGTV show . Your space is truly your own.

Could you post wall paint and sources?

User thanked nosoccermom
  • deegw
    6 years ago

Yay! It looks fantastic. Thanks so much for the update. You were so open and patient with us as we interrogated you and made suggestions and I am so happy it turned out great for you. You definitely have the decorating gene, it just needed a little coaxing. Have fun with the rest of your house.

User thanked deegw
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's so relaxing in there now. :-)

Wall paint is Mindful Gray by Sherwin Williams. Many people recommended this paint here and elsewhere. I can see why it's so popular.

Textured throw blanket is called Ofelia from IKEA $29.99 on Ebay.

White paint on cabinets is Chalk paint which sticks to slick surfaces better than latex paint. I think it was $20.

Sheer curtains on top of beige solid curtains is H.Versailtex with linen look from Amazon $35.99. They give a nice texture but hard to show in photos.

If anyone is interested in helping with my challenging, small basement journey now, please check out this post: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4886638/looking-for-a-warm-beige-light-tan-or-greige-but#20831622

• bookbet
    6 years ago
    Hats off to the OP and supportive Houzz community! This is one of the best examples of collaboration and support that I have seen. Well done. Enjoy your like-new room!
  • TChat
    6 years ago

Thanks for the update. I adore your room! Where did you get the print over your bed?

• rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

WOW! Now that is a complete transformation! And on a budget, without looking at ALL like it was done on a budget. Great job, it really came out spectacular!

• Adri Home
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello, original poster Adri here. Sorry I haven't been here in awhile and I lost my account info so I created this new account. Thanks for the replies. The bedroom actually looks a tiny bit better than the last photos. I hadn't painted behind the cabinets and if you look at the bottom where the carpet is, I hadn't finished those parts. I'll upload a new photo in the near future.

TChat, I actually regret getting that art. I wish I got a framed art like the one someone creatively posted above in a mock up. Anyway, I got it from Walmart and it was crazy expensive (to me) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eucalyptus-Canvas-Art-ACEE-24-x-48/168519484 for over $100 and that was for just the canvas. I needed to get a wood frame which cost another $20 and I had to stretch it and use a staple gun to attach it. I regret but it but I learned to be more patient since then.

• deegw
    5 years ago

Adri, have you worked on any other rooms on the house? I'd love to see more before and after.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

d_gw, I have before pics of our living room so I'll try to get around doing that.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately our cats keep tearing down the curved window cover and climbing up the curtains. I think we're going to install plantation shutters instead, providing they fit with all that stuff in the way. Before we do that we need to replace the window because it's got condensation in the double paneled window and the crank to open and close them doesn't work properly.