SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary507

Please help choosing bedroom paint color for east facing room!!

mary44
last year
last modified: last year

I started this project last year and it was put on hold so I am back at it now! This is going to be a guest room. I need help choosing a neutral paint color. The current color is Behr's wheat bread. I would like to go a little lighter this time around. I am looking for something with little undertones and works with my white trim and current carpet. The room has only one window which is east which means I get strong sun in the morning and the rest of the day not so much. I have attached the headboard I wish to purchase so you can see the wood color. I would appreciate all thoughts and Sherwin WIlliams color recommendations. Thanks!

Comments (70)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Haha! Hubby wants to paint. Ok. Let’s see what we can find. I will pull some more ideas for you later tonight or tomorrow.

mary44 thanked Flo Mangan
  • Molly
    last year

Mary have you tried any family room paint samples you picked out?

mary44 thanked Molly
  • Related Discussions

East Facing Bedroom - Wall Colour Help please

Q

Comments (7)
    I had a similar problem in my east facing living room. Everything I tried had sickly green undertone. (And I actually love green, but not like that) I ended up going with Benjamin Moore Sea Pearl. It's been almost ten years and I still love it. It was a close call between that and Done Wing, but the Sea Pearl felt cleaner. I also remember liking Edgecome Gray, but it was too close in depth to our carpet a t the time. I also had the same issue in our master bath, and ended up using Etiquette from the aura colors. Little darker than the sea pearl and perfect with our tile and cabinet. Might be worth looking at as well.
    ...See More

Master Bedroom Paint Help: Slanted Walls, East and West Facing Windows

Q

Comments (11)
    Calidesign: good point about warmth from wood floors and bedding. Thank you. ljangell44: I actually tried to pick up a paint chip for agreeable gray (for another room) at SW when I was there, they were all out...popular color!! On my to do list to get back there. Interesting, I had never considered gray for the room, but I think it may compliment the yellow and not close in the room...will check it out. Thanks! BlueberryBundtcake: Tired of it and want a change. Funny, I always loved the warmth of it, but now after some renovations over the years all of the stain on various doors and windows do not match and it bugs me. Understood that it will be difficult to change!
    ...See More

Need help choosing paint color for Master Bedroom

Q

Comments (6)
    The bathroom looks lovely! Since you have gray black and white there, I would think to carry something similar to the bedroom. Then you mentioned cherry furniture so maybe the gray part isn't ideal. If you are looking for a neutral though, if you did a more greige color such as Modern Gray or Accessible Beige or Agreeable Gray ( all SW) it would seem like a continuation of the bathroom color but more harmonious with the cherry and beige. Another one that might be worth considering is something like Lazy Gray or Sea Salt which are very neutral and serene as well, but have more depth and color.
    ...See More

need help with east facing room color

Q

Comments (2)
    I would paint entire house with the same color
    ...See More
  • kl23
    last year

How about SW White Flour? https://stampinfool.com/sherwin-williams-white-paint-colors/

I find my east facing dining room gets pink light in the early morning. No, I'm not thinking about your bedding. I know you aren't keeping pink bedding. If the room were completely empty, I like white with just a hint of pink. I really don't like yellow undertones in an east- or north-facing room, because the cool light makes them look constantly dirty.

mary44 thanked kl23
  • mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone for more color suggestions. It comes down to I don't like undertones!!

I'm still open to lighter colors but going to start looking at some mid tone colors. Thoughts on canvas tan or natural tan?

Both in the mid 60's range... still lighter than what I have now. I have samples of those as I was considering them for my family room at one time (thanks Molly:) Do you think they would go with my carpet?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Can I suggest that DH be educated on the importance of bedding in selecting wall color, LOL.

mary44 thanked Norwood Architects
  • jackowskib
    last year

You might consider adding a large rug under the bed area and not have the carpet control all the paint choices.

mary44 thanked jackowskib
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

In a east room, I would go lighter rather than darker on walls. Mary, Samplize just came out with “curated color” sample packages. I tried to attach link by Houzz wouldn’t let me. Try going to their website. There really is no such thing as “undertone”. What each eye perceives is the measurable light and other variables in every paint color. And how that color actuates reflects light in your room. The so called “undertone” is a shorthand way of trying to define a specific hue angle. So, just getting my motor going today. Take a look at SW Snowbound. A great neutral off white and in your east room would be a great backdrop for any colors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

*color actually reflects light (autocorrect)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is SW Snowbound. The other colors you posted will go very dark and dreary in an east room I believe. But always have to get samples and try them.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Opps

• RedRyder
    last year

My entire kitchen is SW Creamy. It can give a yellow cast in certain light. But it’s a very soft, warm white.

@Flo Mangan - Could Swiss Coffee be another option?

mary44 thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

RedRyder. Beautiful kitchen! As to BM Swiss Coffee here is the DNA. Since SW is their preferred brand probably not going to work. Also it is more strongly in the Yellow hue family so I wouldn’t go in that direction.

• mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Flo what about Egret white?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Let me check it out.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

It has a 70 LRV so that might work. It has a good bit of chroma (graying) so might be on the deeper gray side in an east room. Not sure it would work with your carpet?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

You know the drill Mary. Get some chips from SW store and then narrow down based on what you see in that room’s light. Then pick 3-4 best looks and order the larger samples from samplize. I know you tend to favor deeper wall colors but most today want lighter and brighter colors. Is this a guest room?

• mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Yes it is a guest room... I went to SW earlier today and did get some chips to try. That's where I saw Egret White(which Kim suggested to:) I do kind of like natural tan...its a 65 maybe go better with the carpet. Thank you Flo for your help...I appreciate it:)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Glad to help. Natural Tan is in Yellow Hue family a it is a golden type tone. Might work with carpet but it will be pretty dark in east room. When you see chips in the light of your room, you can narrow choices down.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

SW Kilum Beige might be to your liking?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

SW Natural Tan is pretty color. I can’t seem to find the DNA for it.

• mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Kilm Beige is pretty but too dark...I think it's a 57.

• Molly
    last year

Saw this on IG in case you want to go lighter and compare “undertones” against the most neutral white.

mary44 thanked Molly
  • Molly
    last year

Have you considered a color other than beige, white or gray?

mary44 thanked Molly
  • mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Molly you know I'm afraid of color!! Lol

• Molly
    last year

Lol, don’t t be afraid. Is the carpet more beige or a silver gray? Also is it a solid color or a mix (looks solid)?

• mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Molly it is a solid color. I would say it’s more of a beige.

I took a couple more pics it’s dark out so these are taken with just a lamp on. I know it’s really hard to determine colors online. I did order a sample of egret white as well.

• salonva
    last year

Just my gut reaction without thinking too hard, I'd say 2.3. and 6 ( bottom right but I know it's not that light) look agreeable with the carpet. I know the view is kind of dark, but that's my initial impression.

mary44 thanked salonva
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Mary-fyi. Just got this SW paint sale notice. Best Emerald SW paint on sale for 40% off. Working on little mock up of paint for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Of course, you know colors on Internet are highly unreliable, but to help you narrow down choices here are two for comparison. Both Sherwin Williams. Egret White and Natural Tan.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

In looking at the scientific notation (DNA of each color,) Egret in east light exposure will tend to go gray. Natural Tan is warmer and will probably look very nice with your carpet. Try placing samples closer to floor and above trim. You will get better look. Also just try two colors at a time.

• mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much Flo! The egret white sample is supposed to come today. The Emerald paint is what I buy too that is a great sale!! It is so expensive without a sale...I guess just like everything else anymore. Lol ...When I get them both I will compare closer to the floor.

I don't know if its just me but I'm not getting houzz notifications since yesterday morning.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I know you are color adverse, but consider how welcoming a pretty light gray green wall color such as SW Sea Salt and pair with blush and layered bedding with more green tones and white. See how they paired these colors in this “inspiration” photo. 😊. So inviting.

• mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Love the soft sea salt color...actually green is my favorite color. The reason I tend to do neutral paints because if I want to change things out it's easier... I don't have to paint again or should I say DH doesn't have to. lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I bet you won’t change a guest room in less than 5 years. Go for it MARY! Lol. SW Sea Salt is a neutral. And it is what I call a chameleon color has it changes in different lights of the day and season. It would work nicely with your trim color and carpeting. Just enjoy a wee bit of color. 😊🥂

• dsimber
    last year

Flo, while you are encouraging Mary, maybe you can get me out of neutral in my bedroom. I hope you will get notifications on my thread...will try to add this now.

Good luck, Mary. It will be fun to see your results.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Be happy to help you dsimber! I will see if I can find you later. Date night!

• ker9
    last year

What about shoji white? How does that measure?

mary44 thanked ker9
  • dsimber
    last year

Oooo, Flo. Date night. How fun! I saw that you made it to my thread before I finished posting this new project. You are so on the ball.

Mary, is Sea Salt similar to what you had in your family room? Or is that a den? My guess is that Sea Salt may be lighter. I have to find a room for it in my home...maybe my study or the upstairs guest room. Maybe we can take this step into "color" together! 😉

• بشاير عبدالله
    last year

This is my home

• freedomplace1
    last year

If SW can mix it for you, or if you are open to another brand - Farrow & Ball ’Vert de Terre’ is a nice color. It could also work with your carpet.

mary44 thanked freedomplace1
  • mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Flo-Even though these soft greens are tempting. I’m going to stick with the neutral for this room. DH wants to start painting next week and I would need way more time if choosing a green. Lol
    I do appreciate your suggestions .
    Ker-the top left sample on my wall is shoji white which is a possibility too.
    Dsimber-Sea salt is a lot lighter than my family room . I had Grasslands in there. Sea salt leans a little blue too. I look forward to see if you take the color plunge!😂
    Freedom-very pretty color too…reminds me of SW grasslands.thanks!

• eld6161
    last year

I echo those saying pick the bedding first. It shouldn’t take you for ever. Wayfair has thousands that you filter and peruse. Bed, Bath and Bruond and Macy’s are good sourses as well.

All colors have untertones. By choosing paint first, you are now limiting yourself to bedding that won’t clash with that undertone.

i like nuetral, but for my master, we like green. i just ipdated to BM October Mist which looks even better with my quilt than BM Guilfird. One has yellow undertone, one gray.

mary44 thanked eld6161
  • Debbie Downer
    last year

I LOVE the clear rosy light of early morning in my east facing bedroom - gives one such a refreshed feeling. Why not embrace/ emphasize this feeling with a pinkish or lilac white - these would still read as a white... or light beige... just wouldnt neutralize the rosy glow of early morning like a green or mud color would. YMMV - disregard if you like to sleep in late with the shades pulled down!

mary44 thanked Debbie Downer
  • kl23
    last year

If you want the paint color to go with the trim and carpet, it would be better to line up all your sample sheets in a single row just above the baseboard instead of at the ceiling. Your carpet and headboard both have yellow-orange in them. An analogous color choice would also. You have that but it has been greyed. And you want a lighter color for your walls, a near-white. Is that all making sense so far? Am I finally understanding now? It's not so much the morning light you want to capture. Right?

You're looking at egret white. Did the sample arrive yet? Meanwhile, here's an article about it: https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/paint-colour-review-sherwin-williams-egret-white-sw-7570/

All the pictures in the above article show cool tones for the wood, not your golden yellow carpet and headboard colors. And the article says egret white has purple pink undertones, which I think are perfect for an east- facing room, but you seem to have dismissed earlier when I mentioned SW Flour White. I'm wondering if you would be happier with something with less grey in it. And you said you are looking for a lighter color, a "white". What do you think? How about SW Alabaster? https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/quick-paint-colour-review-sherwin-williams-alabaster-sw-7008/

mary44 thanked kl23
  • mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone for all your help.
    KL -I was disappointed in the egret white you are correct it had the purple pink undertones which did not go well with the carpet.
    I know I’m not going in designer order since I did not get bedding first but I made my decision and went with NATURAL TAN! I think it works best with the carpet and is lighter than what I have now.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Natural Tan is great choice. Even though I was hoping for a bit more color for you. Maybe next room! Lol

• mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Anyone wishing to help me in my family room?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5948195/please-help-with-bedroom-final-touches

• kl23
    last year

Excellent! Doesn't it feel great to have made a choice?  I thought you wanted a near white, but Natural Tan will be great. Next? What other colors do you want? I like to balance warm and cool, light and dark, dull and bright. You have white and midtone neutrals. That leaves something bright, something dark and something cool. And more white somewhere. What do you think?

mary44 thanked kl23
  • mary44
    Original Author
    last year

Hi K L :) Not sure what colors are next....I am open to suggestions for bedding, art and anything else other than the furniture. Already have that picked out. :)

• kl23
    last year

Well, what colors are in the rest of the house? What are your favorite colors? If this room is for particular guests, do they have favorite colors?