SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarheelsol

Obsession with Lawn Care Forum has turned me into neighborhood freak!

tarheelsol
7 years ago

Charlotte, NC zone 7B transitional Fescue blend of tall and fine Summer/Fall is hot and humid. Front Turf approximately 3,000 s.f. Back turf approximately 1,500 s.f. (*very difficult to measure due to curvy beds)

I am an experienced (mostly organic) gardener but new to turf management and find it an extremely steep learning curve. I appreciate all the knowledge I have gathered, from the generous people on this site; with special thanks to dchall, morpheus and kimmer.

Last fall, Hubby finally agreed to terminate "one size fits all" turf chemical guy and I have been following the soil improvement program (outlined on this site) to help with compacted soil and poor water drainage. The baby shampoo treatment really did help to soften the soil! (Odd, it is not recommended by any research based sites.) I have added lots of chopped leaves, compost, alfalfa pellets, milorganite, 1 bag of crushed oyster shells and a little bit of leftover lime on the moss. I also purchased a step soil probe which pulls out plugs from the soil. I am awaiting soil sample results from NC state but the jar test indicates lots of clay, as the murky water didn't clear for weeks.

I have spent hours and hours manually removing vast amounts of common bermuda which has made me the ridicule of the neighborhood. (Note to Guantanamo-great torture substitute for waterboarding.) I am relieved that there is hardly any bermuda or moss left. Other problems are dichondra and chickweed -which are easy to pick off. I am now left with the grass weeds that I find much more intimidating.

Here are my questions, that I hope someone can answer:

1. I have been removing what I think to be poaanna (annual bluegrass). However, I can't be sure it is not fine fescue. For some reason, I am unable to find any resource to determine exactly when fescue produces its panicle. Does anyone have an answer to this question? What I believe to be poaanna is dark green and lush looking, very similar to the surrounding fescue. I expected it to be lighter...maybe several applications of Milorganite made it greener?
  2. NC state says, "Herbicides do not kill weed seeds ( you may kill the parent plant, but off spring will be unaffected.) turffles.ncsu.edu/Files/Turfgrass/Presentation/Warren. This is a point that makes me more determined to remove as many weeds manually as possible.
  3. NC State says (due to our humid, hot summers) do not fertilize after March 15th. I am assuming I can continue with Milorganite/alfalfa pellet monthly application into the summer? I apply two bags of Milorganite in front and one in back. Alfalfa pellets, much less.
  4. I would like to try the corn meal application as a fungicide replacement. Before, chemical lawn guy would apply three treatments in the summer. We would pay him $100 per treatment and would be left with crispy lawn. Should I try to apply three applications (similarly timed) of corn meal to prevent brown patch? If so, at what rate? Our farm supply store is about 30 minute drive, each way. Can I stock up on a few bags, or will it go quickly rancid? (Past post from dchall)
  5. I keep harping to Hubby that he needs to mow at the highest setting in order to shade out bermuda. He was not able to mulch the leaves at this setting. Can we lower the mowing setting during the fall? I have a separate leaf mulcher but it is very time consuming and allergy producing.
  6. Does anyone know of a spark chart type guide which lists/shows details of turf weeds and look-alike fescue? Haven't been able to locate on web.
  7. Finally, I don't spray herbicides in the rest of my garden because weeds are easy to notice and hand-weed. However, life is too short to spend so much time on turf weeds. Is it permissible to eventually use a pre-emergent, or will the act destroy my soil flora that I have worked so hard for?

Thank you again for your generous sharing of knowledge.

Comments (14)